Fishboy's 29 Gallon Driftwood Scape (New pix 5/18!!!)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-14-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)

Fishboy's 29 Gallon Driftwood Scape (New pix 5/18!!!)

I wanted to redo my 29 gallon community tank for a while and turn it into a planted aquarium and I had enough free time a week ago to start the tank. After all that, I decided to start a journal. Here are some of the new pics (the tank is still a little blurry from the planting)

The specs are:
x2 18 watt 6700K Coralife Bulbs (trying to get a higher wattage bulb)
x1 Stealth heater
x1 Small 2g filter (for flow)

Plants:
Micro Sword (very front)
Rotala Indica (mid front)
? (back right)
((soon-to-be-plants))
Twisted Val. OR Jungle Val. (back left)
Laced Java Fern (mid left and right)
Ludwigia (left and back of indica)
Singapore Moss (top point of driftwood)

Fish ((soon-to-be)):
x12 Rummy nose tetras
x5 Cardinal tetras
x3 Corydoras sterbai
x2 German blue ram
x7 Otocinclus

(please excuse the bio balls on the driftwood(they are temporary))

tank as is now (4/20/11):

any comment accepted

Last edited by fishboy87; 05-18-2011 at 11:28 PM..
fishboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #2
eyebeatbadgers
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers

Looks like a good start!

We've got a similar setup, a 29 gallon tank with a big ole piece of driftwood

I love rotala, and I hope you have good luck with yours.

A note on your lighting, buying a higher wattage bulb for the same fixture may not actually provide more light if your ballast won't power it, if that is in fact what you were planning on doing. You may be fine with the light setup you have now, dosing Co2 will really help. A DIY CO2 setup for your tank will be cheap, about 10 bucks for the whole deal.

On filtration, I'm not sure what a 2g filter is, but water movement is critical to keeping algae at bay. If there is stagnant water in any part of the tank, the algae can and probably will thrive. Algae has a harder time latching onto plants when there is a sufficient current. I use a Rena Xp2 filter on my 29 gallon, and it provides a nice flow when the plant density is low. Almost need an xp3 when it is stuffed with plants. When you add those fish, you are definitely going to want a filter that can keep the tank clean. Good filtration is a great investment.

What are you doing about fertilizers? Those plants will need to eat, and if there isn't plentiful food, the algae will win. Tom Barr said it best (roughly quoted), plants eat like elephants, and algae eat like mice. We're feeding elephants. Dry ferts are super cheap and really easy to dose.

Finally, I'd add about 10 more cardinals to that listing you got, once the tank is cycled. They like big groups, and will be more active in the front of the tank when they feel secure.

Have fun with the tank, and read all you can!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
shwerm601
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to shwerm601

Good start, love the look of it so far
Old 04-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

eyebeatbadgers-the pump I have running is a 65gph with an external sponge filter connected. I don't know if adding 10 more cardinals to my list would be a bit much on the bioload list as for the fact I chose 29 fish already. Though I do agree about a bigger group and I'm hoping that they'd befriend my rummies --------- I want your opinions about filtration for a natural planted tank of this size.

P.S. Would all of the fish and plants I prefer be ok for a 6.3-6.5 pH?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
eyebeatbadgers
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers

Fish aren't too picky about ph. Yours will be just fine. If you are buying your fish from a local supplier, they are probably used to your ph anyway.

I would recommend a much larger filter for a 29 gallon tank. I have a 100 gph filter on my 10 gallon tank. I have a rena XP2, and love it. Eheim also makes a great filter, and a 2215 would probably be a properly sized filter, and similarly priced. 65 gph will probably leave a lot of dead water in the tank.

Your rummies and cardinals won't school together, but both look great in large groups. They don't really school per se in a 29 gallon tank, but are still fun to watch. With a proper filter, adding ten more cardinals won't be overloading the tank, as long as you perform regular maintenance on the tank.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 AM   #6
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy87 View Post
eyebeatbadgers-the pump I have running is a 65gph with an external sponge filter connected. I don't know if adding 10 more cardinals to my list would be a bit much on the bioload list as for the fact I chose 29 fish already. Though I do agree about a bigger group and I'm hoping that they'd befriend my rummies --------- I want your opinions about filtration for a natural planted tank of this size.

P.S. Would all of the fish and plants I prefer be ok for a 6.3-6.5 pH?
I agree with Eye- more Cardinals would be better- these fish actually love to be packed together like sardines, and actually aren't that much bioload. 5 is too few, IMO. And no, they won't school with the Rummies- the Rummies will be much, much more active.

All those fish should love your low pH!!

Adding a sponge prefilter will help add some to your filtration, but since you're already really low on filtration (tank turnover only 2x/hour) I also agree that you should probably look for an at least 100gph filter.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, July 14, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A little update---

the rotala is starting to turn red near the top and I'm just getting an idea to have some marsh pennywort spaced out on the right side side and ( in my head :-) ) I decided to get some ludwigia repens ( if it can survive my light ) put between and behind the rotala and the soon-to-be jungle vallisneria. Also, in the small indent of the driftwood (near the center of the tank) I might put a crinum callimistratum as a centerpiece plant. Finally, what might the plant to the right of my rotala be (it has a "C" I think)
Old 04-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Today, I added 4 green corydoras to the tank to start some cycling and the LFS said they haven't had any shipments of otos in a while so my 2nd choice was to get a small shoal of cories. 3 out of the 5 species of fish that are going to be put in need an established aquarium so I won't add the rams or the tetras in about 1-2 weeks or more. The cories have been digging for a while and I decided to add another .25" of sand to the thinning areas in hopes the cories won't unearth more soil than they already have :-) For a better filter, I'm using a Zoo-med canister filter meant for terrariums but does a 79 gph which can work for any tank up to 30 gallons. I know it would be best to upgrade the filter but I want the smallest amount of flow possible that would get the job done and I figured this would work.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
AndrewH
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to AndrewH Send a message via AIM to AndrewH Send a message via Yahoo to AndrewH Send a message via Skype™ to AndrewH

My neons and rummy nose do school together most of the time (though they're not cardinals and rummies), but they are the only fish in the 33 besides the Otos.

Definitely a great start!

What lighting do you have on this tank?

AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

2 18watt-6700K-Coralife T5 bulbs

-All of the plants seem to do pretty well even though it is only 1.25 watts per gallon
Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #11
AndrewH
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to AndrewH Send a message via AIM to AndrewH Send a message via Yahoo to AndrewH Send a message via Skype™ to AndrewH

(oh I just noticed this... I only see one pic above, FYI)

I only asked because, to me at least, it seems like a reasonable amount for the plants you have in the tank probably due to the light colored substrate you're using. WTG!

AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:12 AM   #12
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know this thread has been dormant for a while but I thought that I should update. Just growth, Vallisneria, anubias, and moss. But more plants to come :P

I plan on letting the moss grow out to the anubias and form a big puff at the top of the driftwood. I also plan on getting blyxa japonica around the base of the val and in front of the high part of the driftwood. I also am getting some L. aquatica from nemosreef whish I plan on placing between the rotala and val to soften it up a bit. I got one more set of lights so I have about 2.4wpg total and I'm getting a redsea pressurized co2 system soon so hopefully everything will stay alive.

Comments and critiques are definately welcome!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:23 AM   #13
CobraGuppy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Awesome, everything is coming a long nicely.

What floating plant do you have? At least i think its a floating plant, i just see a bit of green fuzz on top.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:00 AM   #14
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Its a salvinia/duckweed duo. I put salvinia from another tank into it before I had a chance to completely remove the duckweed(There were just a couple pieces left but I didn't notice it until after I thouroughly searched the salvinia).Oh well! The val and rotala require weekly 5" trimmings now that they both have established root systems. It is also tough keeping them separated do to runners which is a pain but I'm glad that they are at least growing.(For those of you who may want to know, It's italian val)
Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #15
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Its a constant battle right now to keep plants from tangling together from runners and plantlets. I've got the limnophila aquatica courtesy of nemosreef (Thanks again!) and stuck it where I said between the rotala and vallisneria and now I'm just hoping it will survive until the co2 comes which I ordered yesterday. I also ordered the blyxa today from Algenco (Thanks to you as well) and after I get those things set up, it just has to grow in and then I plan on getting a red turquoise discus OR 2 female GBRs. I will give picture updates soon once I get the blyxa and co2 in and running/growing.

Comments and critiques are always welcome!

Also, can blyxa survive floating for a while (like a week or two) as anything I don't plant in the 29 gallon, I will use on the 10 gallon I'm setting up (it would float in the 29 if it can survive for the time being).