Pixelcrayon's 75gal Planted Tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-27-2004, 05:24 PM   #16
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Tank looks nice. Great piece of wood. Plants look healthy.

I think what Sean is talking about is a landscaping/art principle called - what? - the "golden ratio" or somesuch? In short, our eyes find things more pleasing that are not entirely centered and symmetrical. You can find more info than you ever wanted about it over at Aquabotanic.

Why do you use RO? I don't know anything about rainbows, but Lake Mich water is pretty good for most aquarium purposes.

Anyone else wanna bet he loses the rocks as he adds more plants?

You asked about whether you need CO2 if you stick with microswords, etc. All I can say is that I am so happy I started CO2. No comparison between before and after in terms of plant health, groth, fullness, etc. But a 75 is probably too big for DIY CO2. And you might want to do something about the surface agitation from the Emperor.

Tho you mention sticking with "grasslike" plants, I think you definitely could use some variation in your plants. Some of the things I could give you that I think would complement your setup include:

(To add different colors and different leaf-types)
crypt wendtii bronze
ludwigia brevipes
ludwigia palustris
red sunset hygro

(to add leaf type/texture variety):
parrot’s feather
giant hygro
bacopa
marselia quadrifolia
pennywort
eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2004, 07:16 PM   #17
pixelcrayon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to pixelcrayon Send a message via MSN to pixelcrayon Send a message via Yahoo to pixelcrayon

hey eds. i started using RO water but now i just use straight tap water for my water changes. i was using RO water cause i had the system from my previous reef setup. just thought i used it since i had it, but now i know better.

yeah, i can see it already -- i'll probably get rid of the rocks.

as for the CO2, i got a complete pressurized CO2 system from www.aquatic-store.com. yeah...the surface agitation from the emperor has me concerned. i'll switch over to a canister later on.

as for giving me some clippings -- that would be great. as you can see, i really dont have much to trade but im willing to buy them of you. i'll check out those plants you mentioned and i'll send you a PM.

thanks for the comments.
LIGHTNING: (2) metal halides 175W 10k
CO2: pressurized
PLANTS: Sag, Crystal Val, Pigmy swords, Micro swords, Red & Scarlet Ludwigia, Queen sword, Stargrass, Ludwigia Palustris, Ludwigia Brevipes, Red Sunset Hygro, Bacopa, Pennywort, Crypt Wendtii Bronze, Glosso
FISH: 8 Tiger Barbs, 7 Otos, 1 Dwarf Bristlenose, 14 Varies Rainbows, 6 Rasbora, 3 Cory cats
INVERTS: 8 Amano & 10 ghost shrimps.
pixelcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:23 PM   #18
eds
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcrayon
i really dont have much to trade but im willing to buy them of you.
Don't be silly. Just give me a week or two to let stuff grow out, and I'll give everything a good trimming.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:33 PM   #19
eds
Wannabe Guru

Reviewed the first page.
I recommend against a second piece of wood.
Just move the one piece off-center.
If you have too much going on, the eye doesn't know where to focus.
And that is a cool piece of wood. You don't want to distract from it.

Same way you will wna to start thinking of your overall planting scheme.
Right now you have sort of a solid curtain across the back. Same height across the entire width.
If you stick with thhat, you will want to diversify the height of what you plant in from of it. Tall on one side or the other, tall in the middle, tall on both sides, etc.

Again, you might want to do some reading about basic aquascaping principles. It isn't necessarily all intuitive.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:27 PM   #20
pixelcrayon
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to pixelcrayon Send a message via MSN to pixelcrayon Send a message via Yahoo to pixelcrayon

well my plants came in. i was out on my lunch break when i got the phone call that i got a delivery. (my cell phone is connected to my door intercom) i raced home. thanks mail lady for waiting for me. i planted them and my tank looks 10x better IMO. since i already took a 2hr lunch, i didnt have time to take a pic. ill post pics tomorrow.

i had a aquascape planned in my head but when you actually get the plants in there, seems like it goes out the window.
PLANTS: Sag, Crystal Val, Pigmy swords, Micro swords, Red & Scarlet Ludwigia, Queen sword, Stargrass, Ludwigia Palustris, Ludwigia Brevipes, Red Sunset Hygro, Bacopa, Pennywort, Crypt Wendtii Bronze, Glosso
FISH: 8 Tiger Barbs, 7 Otos, 1 Dwarf Bristlenose, 14 Varies Rainbows, 6 Rasbora, 3 Cory cats
Old 04-27-2004, 09:40 PM   #21
Reagan88
Algae Grower

does anybody else hear the driftwood saying "turn me over" ?

I'm really looking forward to your pics!
Reagan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 06:28 PM   #22
pixelcrayon
Algae Grower

hey reagan. i tried using the driftwood in other positions but this is the one i like best. the other possibility had one of the branches sticking out of the water, which looked cool, but got in the way of the canopy. but thanks for your comments nonetheless.
=============================================

here are some more pics i took last night. these one's didnt come out so great, but i hope you guys get the idea. (im not too good with my brothers camera)

Here is the tank with the new plant additions:

The left view:

The right view:

Recently planted an anubias nana:

Recently planted micro chain swords.

I tried planting my glosso again but the rainbow fish keeps pulling them out. i officially give up on it!!
Old 04-28-2004, 08:41 PM   #23
derekkim
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to derekkim

I like the driftwood but I think you should get better lighting for your tank. Maybe its just that it's dark, but very nice setup
derekkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:13 AM   #24
squirrelproductions
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekkim
I like the driftwood but I think you should get better lighting for your tank. Maybe its just that it's dark, but very nice setup
I think that he mentioned in one of his posts that he's got 175 x 2 MH system with 10000K bulbs for a total of 350 watts or 4.67 watts/gallon.

Nice pics, pixelcrayon! You might want to try using a faster shutter speed to capture the fish in focus.
squirrelproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:14 AM   #25
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Interesting design, I can see a tank of discus here. The Vals at the back will provide the perfect cover for them.

Paul
Eheim Pimp Club member #3: Scribe to the Eheim Pimp Club

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
rumples riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #26
pixelcrayon
Algae Grower

thanks for the comments. squirrelproductions is right. i have 175 x 2 MH system with 10000K bulbs. i think the reason the pics came out dark is cause i dont know how to use the camera.

faster shutter speed? ill ask my brother how to do that.

discus? maybe. im thinking that theyre a little more demanding than my current rainbows and tiger barbs. and they grow so much bigger than rainbows...i wanted to have variety of fish and i was thinking im limited if i get discus. i rather have 20 fish than 5 fish. how many discus do you have in your 90gal?
Old 04-29-2004, 11:50 PM   #27
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have 11 discus in my 90 and the tank still looks barren, I have got around 40 dither fish comprising Rasbora, neon tetra, black neons and glowlight tetras. Still plenty of room for a few more.

Paul

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
Old 04-30-2004, 12:21 AM   #28
pixelcrayon
Algae Grower

11? really? plus 40 other fish? cool!!

do you think i'll have a problem with my rainbows dealing with the lower pH? ive read that they like a pH of 7.0-7.6? maybe thats just to breed them?

will they have a problem with tiger barbs??

ive had discus in the past and always thought they were cool but this time around i wanted to try something different.

if they get along with my rainbows and barbs, i'll definitely consider adding them later on?
Old 04-30-2004, 12:32 AM   #29
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

The tank looks nice...
As far as fish go, I wouldnt go adding any discus with those barbs in there.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #30
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah have to agree with Buck there, barbs can be quite savage on the fins of Discus. As for Rainbows, I have seen them with discus before. They do like slightly more alkaline conditions, but like most fish they can adapt to most conditions.

I have even seen discus breeding and thriving in Ph7.0. So it is not totally necessary to have lower acidic conditions for them.

Paul