how do you mix EI dosing with water?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-09-2014, 02:30 AM   #1
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

how do you mix EI dosing with water?

so i'm looking at the EI dosing and it state dry ferts but how do you make a solution for the EI dosing in liquid form? just hate having to keep scooping one item at a time to does every day.... it gets really boring really fast lol....
Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 02:46 AM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Hi Bryanmc1988,

I used to mix my EI ferts with water but it was too much work and I found it to be unnecessary. Now I dose all of my EI ferts 'dry' except for the CSM+B which I dilute with water.

I mix my CSM+B solution adding three (3) tablespoons of CSM+B in 500 ml of water. I dose 1 ml of solution per 10 gallons once a week.

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you does CSM+B once a week? but doesnt EI sayed to does 3x a week?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944

also i have to dose 3 tanks with EI so mixing all the fertz every day is a pain in the A, it would be much faster to have a liquid then have it in a pump bottle wouldnt you agree?
Old 05-09-2014, 03:39 AM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Bryanmc1988,

I dose 3X a week. For example for my 75 gallon (60 gallons of water) I dose 2.0 ml three times a week.

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 05-09-2014 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: ..
Old 05-09-2014, 03:55 AM   #5
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so how did you come up with 3 Tbsp for 500 ml of water?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:17 AM   #6
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Bryanmc1988,

I use a program called Nutri-Calc V1.9.3 (note: link will allow you to download and save the executable Nutri-Calc program) which was developed by Quenton over at The Barr Report. Mixing my solution at that level, and dosing as I indicated allows me to add 0.1 Fe which is what I am targeting for my iron content. Actually it gives me the dosing levels for whatever tank / water volume I chose to enter. Hope this helps!

Old 05-09-2014, 04:57 AM   #7
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what are the level that a planted tank needs to be? this is a co2 injected medium lighting tank with heavily plants

wouldnt this website work the same as the program? http://calc.petalphile.com/
Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Bryanmc1988,

I use the following target nutrient levels (typically near the top of the ranges):
NO3 = 10-20 ppm
PO4 = 0.5 - 2.0 ppm
K = 10-20 ppm
Ca = 10-20 ppm
Mg = 2.0-5.0 ppm
Fe - 0.1 ppm

The calc.petalphile calculator gives results in milligrams and although I have a gram scale I don't want to weigh chemicals any more than necessary. I use a set of dash/ pinch/ smidgen/ nip/ (1/8 tsp; 1/16 tsp; 1/32 tsp; 1/64 tsp) spoons (available on Evilbay less than $10) so I prefer my calculations in teaspoons which the Nutri-Calc calculator provides. Also the Nutri-Calc calculator allows me to input my target ppm and it provides the dosing quantity in teaspoons. It is not perfect, it only provides calculations for the 'typical' dry ferts (KNO3; K2SO4; KH2PO4; MgSO4; CaSO4) and not the less common nutrients (for those I use the APC Fertilator). (BTW, I am currently dosing my Fe a little heavier than the calculator output due to a deficiency (chlorosis) I am having with my Microsorum pteropus 'Trident'.)

Here is the output from the Nutri-calc program for my 75 gallon

My tank has CO2 and is heavily planted as well which is why I dose the higher end of the nutrient ranges

Old 05-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I trhink the solution given already is the best one. I only give what I have as an alternative should it sound good to you. This link has a "Kit" which provides two 500ml bottles(both links do) and the dry ferts to go in them. They make a liquid which you dose instead of an individual nutrient dose so it's measured by them and just mixed with water by you.
The EI requires three doses of Macros on Mon./Wed./Fri. and three doses of Micros on
Tue./Thur./ Sat. and so does these. But at least you won't need to do each nutrient
individually any more.
On this one it's not quite down to the middle and called "EI Liquid ferts"...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...393&highlight=
And on this one it is called PPS pro fert pack(which is not EI)
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html
Old 05-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

The easiest solution is to get a cheap pill organizer and measure the amount of each nutrient you need to dose daily and set it up for the week. No messing with water calculations, just dump and go each morning.
TekWarren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i found this quote on another thread which sounds to be a more easier to understand on mixing dry with water to make a solution,

what are your thoughts on this?
will it work?
is it even right?

Quote below...

Quote:
the easiest way to do a premixed fertilizer is to first decide how much liquid I want to dose at a time. That could be a syringe full, a cap full, or something like that. For example, in my case I wanted to dose 1 ounce per dose. Next, based on the size of the bottle, figure out how many of those doses are in the bottle. In my case it is a 16 oz bottle, so I have 16 doses in the full bottle. Next I calculate how many tsp of KH2PO4 I need per dose (for example). If it is 1/8 tsp, I multiply that by 16, and that is how much KH2PO4 I put in the bottle with 16 ounces of water. Now, my one ounce dose will contain the right amount of fert for one dose.

Last edited by Bryanmc1988; 05-09-2014 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

That's an easy way to create solutions if you already know your dry dose. Since you have more than one tank you may want a solution for all of them. Something like 1ml per ten gallons depending on the sizes of your tanks.

The online calculator you referenced does a nice job with solutions. You can select the result of my dose and use teaspoons as well. However, the teaspoon measures are incorrect at this time so don't rely on them. I have edited the calculator and waiting for the change to be posted.

If you give me the sizes of your tanks I would be happy to do the calculations for you until the calculator error is fixed.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sure thing... i have the following tanks

10g - about 10 gallons of water (including water in the canister filter)

20g long - about 20 gallons of water (including water in the canister filter)

40B - about 35 gallons of water (including water in the canister filter)

need to know how much of each dry ferts to be mixing with
Old 05-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Add the following to 500ml containers. To reach full EI levels add 5ml per 10 gallons.

KNO3 9 teaspoons

KH2PO4 1 1/4 teaspoons

Plantex CSM + B 6 3/4 teaspoons

That should get you started. When the calculator measures are updated I would recommend learning to use that source of information. I can email you a copy of a Windows calculator I'm in the process of writing that does this. This portion of it is done. PM me if you want a copy.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc1988 View Post
i found this quote on another thread which sounds to be a more easier to understand on mixing dry with water to make a solution,

what are your thoughts on this?
will it work?
is it even right?

Quote below...
It works great, I've dosed dry as long as I've been using ferts I know plenty of others do the same. I have 1 40b that gets full EI 6 days a week, a lower tech 20 that gets doses 4 days a week, and low tech nano (not really EI dosing) but dose a little CSM+B ever week...all dry dosing. I guess I don't really understand the reason to do the water solutions, always thought it was something to do with PPS method of dosing but I'm probably wrong. It just seems easier all around to dose dry using the chart. You can adjust as needed but the point is to have more than enough nutrients so it doesn't have to be exact.

I've always worked off the chart here which is linked to on Green Leaf Aquariums where I buy my ferts: http://www.aquascapingworld.com/maga...on-Method.html
TekWarren is online now   Reply With Quote