Eco- Complete Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to lokobreed

I purchased 4 bags of Eco-Complete and it was nice and black when I put in the tank and it sat in the tank for about 4 days wihtout any fish in there and then it started turning brown. I had to drain the tank and purchase a new one since it leaked. I put the eco - complete into the new tank and filled it with water and put 2 plecos and 2 clown loaches in there to keep the tank clean (Yes I am dropping food to the bottom for the clown loaches)....

Now I set this tank up but I have to draing it and out it on hold for 3 days (so the fish are going to go in my hospital tank) because we are getting the floor where the tank is tiled this weekend.

My question is do I need to keep some water in the tank, like enought to keep the eco complete wet or can i completely drain the water and let the eco complete site dry? I am not sure because I know eco-complete is a speacial type of substrate and it was deleivered in a bag with water? so Do I need to keep it wet or is it ok to sit dry?

Also Why is it turning a little brown, is there anyway I can take this substrate and clean it?
lokobreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Don't let it dry.

There are bacteria in there that will die if they are not fed as well.

Having it brown a little isn't bad. I believe it is a type of diatom, it will go away eventually.

Why do you have two plecos? How big is your tank and what kid of plecos did you get. Also, do you have plants in your tank when you're putting your fish in?

Some plecos don't do well when put together. Some will fight. I've seen a clown pleco scurmish with a bristlenose.

Anyway, if there is no algae in your tank yet (because it's not set up) make sure that you throw some cucumber on a fork in there. The clown loaches and plecos will love it.

But don't throw them in the tank if it's not cycled (if you don't have any nutrient sponge type plants).

The eco complete helps bipass some of the cycling process because it has bacteria already in it, however, test for ammonia and nitrites once a day for a week or two to be sure.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to lokobreed

Should I clean the rocks to get the brown off or will it go away by itself?
lokobreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:30 PM   #4
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

You don't need to clean the rocks.