2 1/2 gallon planted tank with shrimp questions - Eco-System
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-23-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to lokobreed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2 1/2 gallon glass fish tank with a glass lid.

I want to make this tank planted with a few plants and with 2 amano shrimp, 2 ghost shrimp (to take care of the algae) and 2 other type of shrimp that will clean up the bottom? Anyone know a shrimp that cleans the bottom?

If I have 4 algae eating shrimp and 2 bottom feeding shrimp in a plantd tank, could this be an Eco-System where I really dont have to feed or change water in this tank as the Shrimp will clean the bottom as well as take care of the plants?

Thanks
lokobreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Here we had a similar discussion: http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2784

There are a few more dealing with flower vases as closed systems etc, do a search on ecosystem, for example.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:39 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Ghost shrimps would be good bottom feeders. But. If you don't intent to feed or change the water, they would probably - slowly - starve to death. In a regular tank, where you feed regularly, they can live off whatever falls down to the bottom. I think in a bigger tank it might work...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:44 PM   #4
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

See I was hoping it would be where I wouldnt have to do water changes, keep heater, or filter either...

I was hoping it owuld be a balanced System where the light would provide enought light and heat for the plants to grow and keep the water at around 72-74 degrees F.

Then keep like 4 algae eating shrimp and 2 bottom feeding shrimp (Ghost) to where the 4 algea eating shrimp would produce waste and the bottom feeding shrimp would clean it up...

Does anyone know how I could do such a thing like this?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:32 AM   #5
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

Whats the problem with changing some water in a 2.5g? With just some shrimp, you could let it go for a while, but changing water does more than just get rid of built-up nasties. With no filter or anything else for water movement, you might also have a problem with lack of oxygen for the shrimp.

Key thing wrong with your plan is that most bottom feeders don't eat waste, i.e. poop. They "bottom feed" on whatever actual food settles to the bottom.
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:58 PM   #6
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The problem isnt me not wanting to change the water, its I want to create a system and accomplish it where they are able to live on their own without water change etc...

The air would be there, I would not fill the tank up to the top, I would leave about 1 1/2 inch of air then seal the lid...

Do you think this could work?