How do you plant Dwarf Baby Tears?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 04-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
phibo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How do you plant Dwarf Baby Tears?

I just bought some baby tears. When i go to take it out of the basket, its root is stuck to the cotton. Am I suppose to plant it in with the cotton? When i try to sperate the cotton and the baby tears, it seems like Im killing them.

Im trying to plant hair grass and baby tears. I just want to ask if its possible to plant them with out co2 and i think my lights are only putting out 2.5 watts.

I also have 2 rams, 2 cory, 3 otto in there to create poop to make co2.
phibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
frozenbarb
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibo View Post
I just bought some baby tears. When i go to take it out of the basket, its root is stuck to the cotton. Am I suppose to plant it in with the cotton? When i try to sperate the cotton and the baby tears, it seems like Im killing them.

Im trying to plant hair grass and baby tears. I just want to ask if its possible to plant them with out co2 and i think my lights are only putting out 2.5 watts.

I also have 2 rams, 2 cory, 3 otto in there to create poop to make co2.
What gallons is your tank and what is the wattage of your light and type of light.

Just rip it out of the cotton it won't make a different, they are stem plants and will grow back from where they were pulled off.
"Baby Tear" are stem plants
Poop doesn't make co2 lol. For Co2 try the DIY method.

What Baby Tears are you talking about?
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...pec=Hemianthus -HC
OR
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...pec=Hemianthus -HM

For HC you will need co2
For HM you won't neeed it but it will help.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
phibo
Algae Grower

haha I was told by my LFS that fish pops produces co2 lOl.
I have a 17 gallon long tank. As for the light, I was told that i can grow marijuana with it, but of course its my LFS who told me that. I have 2 Katana T5 each one 24w/w10000k. Can i leave the cotton on it? Oh ya, the baby tears are HC
Old 04-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
JustOneMore21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)

I would not leave the cotton/rock wool on it. Tear it off of that and separate it into small groups, then plant them. There shouldn't be too much roots on the wool.

My tank info page
JustOneMore21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
frozenbarb
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibo View Post
haha I was told by my LFS that fish pops produces co2 lOl.
I have a 17 gallon long tank. As for the light, I was told that i can grow marijuana with it, but of course its my LFS who told me that. I have 2 Katana T5 each one 24w/w10000k. Can i leave the cotton on it? Oh ya, the baby tears are HC
Lol your LFS would be so fun to have. They seem like nice people. Especially when they stock HC. My LFS would never do that.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
phibo
Algae Grower

So i went back and try to pull all the cotton out, but i cant get all of them out. Now my 1 basket of HC looks like nothing and i have alot of them floating around. I try to catch as much as i can and roll it into ball and dip it back into the sand. Hopefully that will work, because i already went thru 1 basket already due to my balloon Red Eye Tetra clean them out. I lost 47 bux just to get these baby tears.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #7
o snap its eric
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

sorry to bring up an old thread but, i was told that you can leave about 1/2 to 1" of the cotton to help plant the HC. Without the cotton, its hard to plant it down securely. Are there any drawbacks to this? I too just planted a few HC in my tank.
o snap its eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
cjp999
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenbarb View Post
Poop doesn't make co2 lol. For Co2 try the DIY method.
Well it sort of does, indirectly. Poop is broken down by bacteria that produce CO2 in the process. This is basically what is going on inside your DIY CO2 bottle. It's also the same thing as what goes on in you compost pile. The carbon in the bio-material is combined with O2 to form CO2, thus reducing the bio-mass in the process. That's why compost piles get smaller over time. It's no just compaction.
cjp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
o snap its eric
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

poop is known more for producing ammonia if you want to categorize poop. Answer my questions above though!!!!!!
o snap its eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
brion0
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Fish make CO2 by breathing just like you.
brion0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by o snap its eric View Post
sorry to bring up an old thread but, i was told that you can leave about 1/2 to 1" of the cotton to help plant the HC. Without the cotton, its hard to plant it down securely. Are there any drawbacks to this? I too just planted a few HC in my tank.
You can but it's not suggested. The wool gets really messy in the long run and getting the wool out as much as possible would be better in the long run. Also, one needs to make sure that the HC needs to be on equal ground with the substrate you want it to spread to. If the wool elevates your HC too much, it won't spread effectively. (That's obvious though!)
Ebichua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
Choco
Planted Member

Plant stem by stem
a lot of work..but definitely gives better growth and better rooting than planting the whole clump.

Choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
hokuryu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but I've got the same thought - I have been wanting to plant out the foreground to the left, below, allowing the C. parva to grow slowly in on the right.

My question is over planting submerged HC in an existing tank over trying to grow it emerged from the start.

In my tank, recent plantings of L. aromatica have been a bit problematic (but only a bit) with some of the cuttings (thanks, Maclellan) that are not yet rooted, floating away after some time - I've got a Fluval 205 goosed, along with a Mini-elite as a reactor, and I think the flow in the tank is fairly strong.

I've got 65W PC over this 20H, injected CO2, EI. Again, I hope I haven't hijacked this thread, but can any tell me if it is a losing battle to try to plant HC in an established tank?
hokuryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
Choco
Planted Member

I don't see a problem with planting HC in an established tank.

The pics I posted the above, the HC was planted after the tank has been running for around 2 months (I set up the tank but didnt' have time to plant the HC for 2 months..)

It turned out great. The 3rd pic was <40 days after planting the HC.

I am definitely not a fan of emerged growth.
I have tried growing HC 2x submerged & 1x emerged.
On both submerged occasion, the HC turned out great. I got a thick and bushy carpet.
on the emerged occasion, I barely had any growth, the leafs & stem looked small and weak. When I fill up the tank 1.5 months later, more than half of the HC was gone within a week. That's just my experience
Choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
hokuryu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco View Post
I don't see a problem with planting HC in an established tank.

The pics I posted the above, the HC was planted after the tank has been running for around 2 months (I set up the tank but didnt' have time to plant the HC for 2 months..)

It turned out great. The 3rd pic was <40 days after planting the HC.

I am definitely not a fan of emerged growth.
I have tried growing HC 2x submerged & 1x emerged.
On both submerged occasion, the HC turned out great. I got a thick and bushy carpet.
on the emerged occasion, I barely had any growth, the leafs & stem looked small and weak. When I fill up the tank 1.5 months later, more than half of the HC was gone within a week. That's just my experience
LOL - your water was so clear I thought that was emerged growth....

Good info, thanks, Choco. It occurs to me that I wanted to add an additional member to the tank, an albino bristlenose. Does it make sense to hold off on adding that bristlenose until the HC has established its root system, or is the fish gentle enough over the bottom that it wouldn't likely uproot the new plantings?

Also, another noob question - I have used my hands for all of my plantings - and far too often, uprooted existing plants just to get a hole for my new plant. So I end up either moving, like a bulldozer, a lot of substrate around, or dumping additional substrate to anchor plants - and I'm about out of all the height I want to add in the bottom.

People mention tweezers all the time - sorry for the question - how does one actually use the tweezers? Do you dig a hole with your hand, grasp the plant with tweezers and hold the plant while you place it and overlay with substrate, or are tweezers used to gently push a plant down through the substrate (or would that kill fragile root systems)?

I'm sure it's a naive question, but I'm considering getting a pair of long tweezers and scissors, just want to know how I'm supposed to used them (the tweezers - I get the scissors, LOL).
hokuryu is offline   Reply With Quote