Do test kits get a bad rap? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #16
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
I know exactly what you mean! I hate when one drop hits the side of the test vial, then your like that whole drop got in there right? Oh S--- my finger is wet. I don't know about you guys but my N03 bottle #1 is a lot lighter then bottle #2.
LOL .. Yeah I sometimes wonder if those hit the inside of vial are full drops. And sometimes when I get an air bubble with a drop I count it as half drop mostly when using the KH or GH tests. I try my best to get the same size drops too. If you squeeze the bottles too hard you get bigger drops. I try to just let them come out on their own hopefully for more uniform drop size.

Most of the time I don't really need that accurate of a test anyway. I guess I'm just anal about doing the test right though.
sowNreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #17
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowNreap View Post
LOL .. Yeah I sometimes wonder if those hit the inside of vial are full drops. And sometimes when I get an air bubble with a drop I count it as half drop mostly when using the KH or GH tests. I try my best to get the same size drops too. If you squeeze the bottles too hard you get bigger drops. I try to just let them come out on their own hopefully for more uniform drop size.

Most of the time I don't really need that accurate of a test anyway. I guess I'm just anal about doing the test right though.
I hate those air bubbles. What really ticks me off is when I can't get 5 ml of water in the test vial.
greaser84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:37 AM   #18
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
I hate those air bubbles. What really ticks me off is when I can't get 5 ml of water in the test vial.
What gets to me is I have a prescription eyedropper that measures milliliters. When I add 5ml as measured by the dropper to the tube it doesn't correspond to the line. API says to use 5ml of tank water but my dropper shows the tube line is about 4.5ml but it varies slightly from tube to tube. And can vary on how you look at it too. LOL I know it doesn't make that big of a difference but still it should be a more accurate.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #19
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowNreap View Post
What gets to me is I have a prescription eyedropper that measures milliliters. When I add 5ml as measured by the dropper to the tube it doesn't correspond to the line. API says to use 5ml of tank water but my dropper shows the tube line is about 4.5ml but it varies slightly from tube to tube. And can vary on how you look at it too. LOL I know it doesn't make that big of a difference but still it should be a more accurate.
that reminds me, since the water in the tube is not a level line, is it 5ml when the ceneter of the convex is at the line, or when the outer edges are at the line?

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:33 AM   #20
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
that reminds me, since the water in the tube is not a level line, is it 5ml when the ceneter of the convex is at the line, or when the outer edges are at the line?
LOL.. I always wondered about that too. I just figured either way is close enough for my purpose. It can't make that much of a difference.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #21
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Standard Methods for any test call for a set of known standards to be used no matter if the test method is 5$ test kit or a 50,000$ lab grade spectrophotometer. Researchers do this.

But somehow a junky 10$ aquarium hobby test kit is more accurate and does not need this step?

Horse feathers.

Calibrate and then KNOW.
Or guess and fly by the seat of one's own pants.

Those are your 2 paths and choices
Old 05-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #22
Cam-t1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like API test kits, they seem to work well for me (that's if they're giving me an accurate reading :P)

You can always use to electronic testers, I use the AquaOne ph test pen, that works well, someone I know uses the Hanna checkers for ammonia, nitrite etc and he loves them, just have to make sure you calibrate them.
Cam-t1 is offline   Reply With Quote