CryptKeepers 75gal MTS/Clay Loam*Updated Pics *5/30/10* Last Page - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #166
TheCryptKeeper
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)

actually the ones that I have are fairly coarse too.. those were just a suggestion.. but fairly close to what I have

Filstar Pimp #136

75 Gallon Planted Tank Journal *Click Here*
TheCryptKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #167
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Complexity, what sponges do you have?
I had an old sponge from a powerhead that was large enough for me to cut in half. But any sponge will do. The coarseness of the sponge is just a personal preference.

My sponge looks similar to this one in texture. I don't see a hole in it to fit over the intake. It may be there, but I don't know. It may just be closed at the bottom which is a good idea.

If you do get a sponge that has a hole all the way through it and you're trying to protect small fish or shrimp, be sure to do something to plug the bottom hole. I stuff a small piece of filter floss in the bottom. You can't see it, it still allows for water to pass through, but keeps the fish and shrimp out.

EDIT: I must correct something I stated in this post (and some other posts which I will also be editing). I suggested using a course sponge over the intake with RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp). I retract that suggestion! I ended up with some RCS babies getting through the sponge and into my filter! I have since removed my course sponge for one with a finer texture. DO NOT USE the course sponge I suggested. It is harmful to RCS.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired

Last edited by Complexity; 06-22-2008 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: I found that RCS can get through the course sponge!
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #168
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Here's one just like mine.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/f...prefilter.html

I am NOT recommending buying any of these or from these sources. I'm just looking for something with a picture that shows what I'm using.

EDIT: I must correct something I stated in this post (and some other posts which I will also be editing). I suggested using a course sponge over the intake with RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp). I retract that suggestion! I ended up with some RCS babies getting through the sponge and into my filter! I have since removed my course sponge for one with a finer texture. DO NOT USE the course sponge I suggested. It is harmful to RCS.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'

Last edited by Complexity; 06-22-2008 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: I found that RCS can get through the course sponge!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #169
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor

PTrader: (86/100%)

Not to get sidetracked, but how are the fish coming along? Your tank looks cool!
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #170
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:36 PM   #171
wind101
Algae Grower

Default Just blows my mind !!

Your tank is absolutely beautiful !! I am just starting to get into aquascaping my 55 gal long tank. I have a bit of a GW bloom at the moment that I am fighting to get under control, but I have to tell you-looking at your tank gives me the drive to keep going !! I have a couple of nice pc's of wood- 1 I recently acquired along the river bank that has a huge hole through it that the fish love ! I was careful and boiled it for 3 hours, then I soaked it for a couple of days. Any ways I just wanted to tell you that your an inspiration.
Thanks.
My tank mates include: 3 Bloodred Parrots, 1 Plecco, 4 Neon tetras, 2 Molly's, 2 algae eaters, 2 huge gold snails,2 Long Finned Rosy Barbs, 1 Glowfish....and 1 gold fish that I decided to save from my Red Devil that is in his own 29 gal tank because he ate all his other tank mates !!!
I will be submitting some pics of my own very soon and would like any advice anyone can give me !!!
wind101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #172
TheCryptKeeper
Aquascaper = Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Not to get sidetracked, but how are the fish coming along? Your tank looks cool!
all my fish are doing great.. so far (knock on wood)

I haven't had any deaths since I euthanized all the remaining fish and started over. the fish that I kept from before and had in qt made it just fine. I kinda think that what happened... happened for a reason.. to get me to slow down and not be in such a hurry. thanks alot for asking!

Filstar Pimp #136

Old 05-27-2008, 01:55 AM   #173
TheCryptKeeper
Aquascaper = Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind101 View Post
Your tank is absolutely beautiful !! I am just starting to get into aquascaping my 55 gal long tank. I have a bit of a GW bloom at the moment that I am fighting to get under control, but I have to tell you-looking at your tank gives me the drive to keep going !! I have a couple of nice pc's of wood- 1 I recently acquired along the river bank that has a huge hole through it that the fish love ! I was careful and boiled it for 3 hours, then I soaked it for a couple of days. Any ways I just wanted to tell you that your an inspiration.
Thanks.
My tank mates include: 3 Bloodred Parrots, 1 Plecco, 4 Neon tetras, 2 Molly's, 2 algae eaters, 2 huge gold snails,2 Long Finned Rosy Barbs, 1 Glowfish....and 1 gold fish that I decided to save from my Red Devil that is in his own 29 gal tank because he ate all his other tank mates !!!
I will be submitting some pics of my own very soon and would like any advice anyone can give me !!!
thanks for the kind words! I appreciate that..

as for your green water issue.. you should get a uv sterilizer.. it would take care of it in a few days. I have one running 24/7. some say that you don't need to have it on all the time.. I keep it on for piece of mind. you should start a journal and post some pics!

Filstar Pimp #136

Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #174
TheCryptKeeper
Aquascaper = Artist

got my other pieces of driftwood today! also got a mag float to keep the inside of the tank clean! I will update pics tonight.

my red tiger lotus has a few leaves that are about 6" in diameter... huge!

Filstar Pimp #136

Old 05-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #175
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is it tonight yet?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:34 AM   #176
TheCryptKeeper
Aquascaper = Artist

figures I could get you to bust my b lls

Filstar Pimp #136

Old 05-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #177
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 AM   #178
TheCryptKeeper
Aquascaper = Artist

go.. banana..go go.. banana!

Filstar Pimp #136

Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #179
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedobarb View Post
go.. banana..go go.. banana!

That's how to work under pressure!

If only bananas did aquarium scaping!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #180
TheCryptKeeper
Aquascaper = Artist

Will be continuing this journal today.. I will be attempting to get this thing back up and running. at least for the plants and aquascaping.

my father in law called me this morning and said that the few remaining fish died over night.. probably due to stress.

so restocking needs to be done. a complete.. again.. damn

Filstar Pimp #136

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.