CO2 Refill?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Oklahoma

Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Briz
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

CO2 Refill?

I've been trying to call beverage companies, welders, paintball, and liquor stores to find CO2 suppliers! So far I've found that Avid Extreme Sports will do up to 7.5lbs at $30 (seems pretty steep). I also heard that fire extinguisher testing places will do CO2, but I don't know where any of those may be. Fire department?

Where do YOU get your CO2 in central Oklahoma?
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
houbanna
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I get a 20 lb tank swapped for 30 here in florida . sounds like a rip off at that place u called
Old 05-03-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

See if there is an Airgas supply they usually have good prices. I go to a local hydroponic and home brewing store, you can exchange a 5-20 pound tank for $20.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
allabouttheplants
Algae Grower

The air gas place in my town, dont refill just exchange. $16 for 5# and new washers.
allabouttheplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:51 AM   #5
the_Chad
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allabouttheplants View Post
The air gas place in my town, dont refill just exchange. $16 for 5# and new washers.
Correct. The exchange system is the standard system at ALL gas distributors unless you have a paint ball tank. If this is the case then you'll have to find a sports store that refills paint ball gun co2 canisters.
Most places that fill fire extinguishers are also the place where gas distributors have their tanks periodically tested for integrity (hydro tested or sonically tested). So you would internet search hydro testing cylinders in "whatever state". But I dont think they are going to bother with your one cylinder. They don't usually deal with walk ins. I could be wrong though. It maybe different in your state.
the_Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:25 AM   #6
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

Default CO2 Refill?

I had a very hard time finding a place that will fill canisters, some people have found a few places. After looking for a few months I decided to go with an exchange. I did find one place that refilled but their prices were nearly three times the exchanges. Some places will want you to enroll in an exchange program, when I looked into them near me the cost was just too much, it was around $100 a year, plus you had to give them a canister or buy one from then, and refills were $10, the main benefit of this is they delivered and would fill canisters up to 50 pounds. But if you live out in the middle of no where a program like this may save you money, considering fuel is now at least $3.50 a gallon (actually it's for 9/10ths of a gallon) almost everywhere.

I decided that an exchange would work better for me for a few reasons. The main reason was the price, I was able to buy a used 20 pound canister and exchange it for a filled one for less than the price of a shiny new one. Another part of the cost is the actual gas, near me it cost $4.50 to fill a 20oz paintball canister, so to get the same 20 pounds of co2 it would cost you $72 so you automatically save $50 when you fill it up, and with an exchange you will also save money from never having to pay for hydrostatic testing. The second reason was the fact that most (if not all) of the canisters are given a thorough check and then filled. My favorite bonus is the fact that the exchange is super quick, I am in an out of the store with a full canister quicker than I can unhook my regulator, usually the place I get mine filled at as soon as they see you carrying it in they go get you one from the back and meet you at the register. The biggest downfall is you won't always get the prettiest canister, but with a $1 can of spray paint you can paint a bunch of canisters, or if you are so inclined you can sew a "sock" or "sleeve" and slip it over your canister.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Briz
Planted Member

I'll look more in to finding places that might do exchanges. I'm not against it. Ya'lls tips gave me a few more ideas to call. Still looking for any Oklahoman' sources too.

Someone on a home brewing forum said they use Airgas. I'll give them a call.

Last edited by Briz; 05-03-2014 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Added Airgas
Old 05-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
tclancy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I can't remember the name of the place.. Try calling AquariumsTFS in Edmond. They recommended a place to me a few months ago. I didn't check it out but they said they were a good place to get refills. Hope this helps.
tclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
Briz
Planted Member

I will, thanks. I had contacted Airgas but the guy I talked to seemed to think they would have me rent a CO2 tank for a daily cost, which I wasn't keen on.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
observing
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

You don't say where in Ok. So unsure I live in Tulsa and get mine refilled at a home brewing store on 71st next to Sunshine furniture. Charges me about $9 to fill a 10lb tank. Maybe a little high but I do not mind. Will fill anytime they are open.
observing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Briz
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz View Post
Where do YOU get your CO2 in central Oklahoma?
That's more of what I was expecting - someplace that will just fill up a tank. Unfortunately OKC doesn't seem to have as good as places as Tulsa for LFS and CO2. *shakes fist*

Thanks for the tip though, $9 for 10lb does not sound overpriced at all after getting a couple of quotes from places around here.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Briz
Planted Member

Finally! After calling some home brew stores, one pointed out their source at City Carbonics. Hydro-testing facility that will fill CO2 while you wait. Around $15 for 5lb or $16 for 10lb there.

Another home-brew store even closer (Learn to Brew) will fill a 10lb for $20. So, not as cheap as Tulsa.

But by golly I can have my own aluminum tank and not pay daily rental fees and a yearly membership charge like Airgas.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

Hooray! If you want something bad enough you can find it.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #14
redthumb
Algae Grower

Home depot does exchanges... Refills are iffy
redthumb is offline   Reply With Quote