Macro-nutrient fertalizer
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-22-2003, 12:05 AM   #1
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

OK, so I finally finished my CO2 setup and am going to get the Plantex micro-nutrient fertalizer. Now, I need to worry about macro nutrients.

The main thing I am worried about is Pottasium (K). I know my tank has never had enough K but I am looking for something that will give it enough.

I am also looking for a NO3 fertalizer. I know stump remover has NO3, but what are some good sources for a pure stump remover? Also, I know stump remover also has K, but not nearly enough (I think it is 0.63 ppm rise in pottasium for every 1 ppm rise in nitrates), so I am could mix the stump remover and the Pottasium fertalizer in a certain ratio to get what I need.. I am not at all worried about phosphate. Any ideas?

-Tim
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2003, 01:40 AM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Hydroponics store is where you get the stuff. Pottasium nitrate(KNO3), pottasium sulfate(K2SO4) under $5 for a pound of each, plus shipping of course. Heres a link for buying the stuff you need. You have to download the catalog in .pdf format and the stuff is on page 16 of the catalog. Then you got to know how to mix it and make your own dosing solution,Heres a link to learn about that.

If you have any more questions, I'll try to fill you in. My traces,and macros should be here tomorrow, I can't wait to start dosing.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 05:47 AM   #3
shalu
Wannabe Guru

I also bought K2SO4 and KNO3 from litemenu.com. Actually you can order these directly from the website without downloading the PDF file. They are listed in the Chemicals section on the website.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've been using Grant's stump remover and haven't seen any adverse affects from potential inactive ingredients. Most planted tank enthusiasts would concur that Grant's Stump Remover is just about pure KNO3.
As for potassium, I agree, I need something and I don't feel like paying $7 a month for Flourish Potassium. I might place an order with litemenu but I think I'm going to give potash a try first. Sure, there might be some organics in the mix from the charred wood remains, but people have been using this stuff for decades and it worked for them.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:40 PM   #5
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also looked into flourish pottassium, and it is WAY to expensive if there is this alternative... The Flourish products are good, but the flourish liquid fertalizers aren't for an aquarist on a budget...

-Tim
Old 01-22-2003, 10:59 PM   #6
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

I could'nt find a stump remover in my area that contained kno3. Be warned that stump removers don,t have to be pure and may contain all sorts of impurities which may or may not kill your fish. After much research and lots of setbacks trying to find all my ingredients locally, Litemanu seemed to be the best,cheapest and purest option. The only downside is that I have to wait for the UPS truck to get here.:hehe:

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:08 AM   #7
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I hate waiting for UPS trucks! For some reason the time always seems doulbe what it really is!

-Tim
Old 01-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #8
russdesnoyer
Algae Grower

Honest to God this is a true story--a few days ago I put in an inquiry at a local landscaping store to see whether or not I could get KNO3 and K2SO4 for dosing my aquariums (and save a couple bucks in shipping.) I received a phone call from the police today informing me that the FBI wanted to interview me! I was taken to a police station and met with these agents for about a half hour or so and had to explain that I was using the chemicals to grow plants! Apparently, with all that's been going on these days, certain chemicals are "triggers" for investigation by local authorities. I guess I just wanted you guys to be aware of this!

Russ
russdesnoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:31 PM   #9
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by russdesnoyer
Honest to God this is a true story--a few days ago I put in an inquiry at a local landscaping store to see whether or not I could get KNO3 and K2SO4 for dosing my aquariums (and save a couple bucks in shipping.) I received a phone call from the police today informing me that the FBI wanted to interview me! I was taken to a police station and met with these agents for about a half hour or so and had to explain that I was using the chemicals to grow plants! Apparently, with all that's been going on these days, certain chemicals are "triggers" for investigation by local authorities. I guess I just wanted you guys to be aware of this!

Russ
I believe you. It's crazy, isn't it? Hey,if you're not doing anything wrong then you got nothing to worry about except a hassle from the cops. Price we have to pay to keep the freaks at bay, I guess..
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 01-29-2003, 10:04 PM   #10
russdesnoyer
Algae Grower

Once I convinced them I wasn't assembling bombs in my basement they were reasonably polite and drove me back to work. Still scared the crap out of me, though. I definitely will not be returning to the landscaping store to try to buy chemicals! It's funny, about a year or so ago I ordered some KNO3 and K2SO4 from homegrown hydroponics in Canada and they arrived without incident. You'd think a box of chemicals crossing the border might arouse more suspicion than an aquarist making an inquiry at a gardening center. I'll definitely be ordering all my stuff online from now on! (and hope the SWAT team doesn't show up with the UPS guy!)

Russ
Old 01-29-2003, 10:19 PM   #11
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

The only difference between the local garden center and the mail order hydroponics store is the phone call to the police... If the cops get a call they have to investigate it.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 01-30-2003, 03:07 AM   #12
russdesnoyer
Algae Grower

Yeah, I guess I should be thankful that methods are in place for investigating these matters in the case that someone might be up to no good, but it's still a bit unsettling for an unassuming aquarium nut to get a call for questioning by the FBI! Made me think twice about how much I really want to fertilize my plants!

Russ
Old 02-02-2003, 01:32 AM   #13
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually keep non-aquatic plants as well and at the plumeria forum on gardenweb there was a story about some people who have HID lights (Metal Halide or HPS) to grow their plants indoors. They said that the police grew suspicious about the lights going on and off at fixed times each day, they could see the lights going on and off through the shades! They thought they were growing illegal plants ("tomatoes")!

Well, they did some research and found some of their rights, and one of the most surprising things was NOT to in any way invite them in for them to see that you have plants (and prove your innosence, sp?). The second you invite them in I guess they can do just about anything, and it really isn't worth "risking" you plants, even if you have nothing, since they could tear it up and find nothing.

It was a really funny thread, one person said they would get a plant that looks just like "tomatoes" (can't remember the name of the plant, but it is common), invite the person is, and the second they say the plant looks like it, they would just say, "It does?! What is that plant supposed to look like?".

Well, the person eventually ended up moving; the neighboors had somewhat decided they were growing tomatoes when they really weren't. It is too bad that some people use plants illegally, when they are really something to be enjoyed!

-Tim
Old 02-02-2003, 01:25 PM   #14
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

There was a guy in my town a few years back ( he is in jail now ) that had over $15,000 in lighting alone they estimated in his basement....
From what I understand the " Electric Company " played a major role in starting the investigation of this guy...can you imagine his electric bill ? The E.C. thought that there was a problem with his meter due to the gradual and VERY large amount of power this "house" was using as opposed to past bills and what did they find... a basement garden that would get a whole country high !

Now he rests comortably on my tax dollars in a prison ... I wonder if he is the Prisons groundkeeper now ? He is a gardner ... :hehe: :hehe:
Old 02-03-2003, 02:38 AM   #15
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

$15,000 worth of lighting...?:aah::aah:! Usually the probability of fire with one HID system isn't too bad, but if he had that much I'm surprised the house didn't burn down before he got caught! Wow....

I know to cut back on the plants when it would be a major chore to move them all back outside when it gets warm (which it never REALLY does here in MN), which that guy was obsiously not doing, lol!! I bet his plants got enough heat from all the lighting!

-Tim