My Harlequin Rasboras - one species or two? - pic attached
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-21-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Today, I picked up 6 new rasboras to add to my school. The new ones immediately schooled with the older (larger) ones. The new fish were also labeled 'Harlequin Rasboras', but they look different :? . There is a lot more orange on their bodies, and their black marking are not as wide.

Please take a look at the photo and tell me what you think? One species or two? (the focus was on the fish looking at the camera, but the others should still look good enough to see the difference)

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 11:52 PM   #2
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

unirdna, I remember reading somewhere that there are more than one species sold under the name Harlequin Rasbora, but for the life of me I can't find where I read it. Don't remember the identifying differences between them either. Sorry.

Although in this case, it could just be a difference between juvenile and adult markings.

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:27 AM   #3
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

There are several species that look almost alike, harlequins, espi's copper's, very very similar. It looks like you picked up some copper's. Ther are a beautiful fish in a planted tank. Enjoy.

I'm sorry I don't have any scientific names to apply to the fish at the moment.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:37 AM   #4
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Yes, the one behind looks like Lambchop Rasbora (R.Espei). The front one is definitely Harlequin Rasbora. The Lambchop looks a bit longer/slimmer.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:21 AM   #5
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks so much guys!!! I like to be able to research every species in my tank, just to make sure I don't do something to stress them out.

These new guys are incredible. They glow as bright as my neons from across the room. I love em!!!

Here's a shot that does them more justice than my meager photo skills (found running a google search for images)

Rasbora espei

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Spec...ciesname=espei

Old 03-22-2004, 04:59 AM   #6
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Unirdna, do they school together with the Harlequin? I never mix them but I would think that they would.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
Saxman
Algae Grower

I have had a small school of these for a few years. I never knew they were Espi's, but somewhere along the line, someone told me they were Hengels Rasboras. Mine have been extremely hardy - making it through several tank transitions. I have had both them and my White Clouds for at least 3 and probably more than 4 years - they all school together - the WC and Rasboras. They are a cool little fish!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoboy
Unirdna, do they school together with the Harlequin? I never mix them but I would think that they would.
Yep, they all stay tight. They don't seem to care who they follow around. At very first I didn't like it, but then I sat on my couch (12 feet away) and loved the contrast of the two sp. Looks like a dance of orange and black spots.

At night, they all find their own little place on the aquarium bottom to sleep. Most hide out in my vals.

I'll post a photo of them all if you'd like to see it.

Old 03-22-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I love them. They school much tighter than my neons although I only have few of them.

Since you have many Rasboras, I have a question. I bought 5 of H. Rasboras. 2 of them have some white thing on their mouth. I thought it was fungus so I moved them to a Q-tank and treat with fungus medication. It's been over a week and the white thing is still there. Fungus usually drop within a day. Are those fungus or normal for some rasboras? It doesn't grow any bigger or fluffier. It just looks like he has a big lips.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:49 PM   #10
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

Two of my Harlequins (out of 8 ) have that same white marking. To me, it looks similar to one ich bump on the tip of their lower lip (chin). They have had it since I bought them. Whatever it is, it has no affect on their appetite, growth, color, etc.

Old 03-22-2004, 04:56 PM   #11
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, you don't know how glad I am to hear that. I'll put them back to their home tank.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:45 AM   #12
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

nino,

For what it's worth, "mouth-rot" isn't a fungus. It's bacterial. In my experience, it attacks live-bearers and catfish the most. It used to knock off my pictus cats when I was a kid :cry: (stress, generated by high nitrites - before I learned about proper bio-filtration).

I've spent some time tonight and studied that small growth on my rasboras. I really have no idea what it is. It isn't 'fluffy/hairy' like mouth-rot. As far as I can tell, it is an extension of the fishes 'skin'. Not a foreign growth.

I ran about every search possible through google, but couldn't find any info. If you are ever offered an explanation, please share. Until then, I'll just leave em alone and keep a keen eye on em.

Old 03-23-2004, 04:11 AM   #13
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Thanks. I did treat those two with antibiotic also after the fungus med. didn't work. The thing is I wasn't even sure it was mouth rot. I read that fungus could attack close to the mouth also. But doesn't seem like it because it doesn't look too fluffy. I'll look up some info also and share w/ you if I could get any.