Water Parameters For Cherry Shrimps
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-21-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
aCe^bOwleRz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to aCe^bOwleRz

Hi...

can anyone help me by giving me the ideal water parameters for my cherry shrimps?
Gh,Kh,Ph and many more....

pls help me as my cherry shrimps have been dying day by day...

:lol:
aCe^bOwleRz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 02:00 AM   #2
Splash
Planted Member

Wow! I'm really sorry to hear your sad news!

My Cherry Shrimp are hail and hardy and even survived a shipment from Arizona in which all of the Amano Shrimp died. My KH is 4.5, GH 8, pH 6.7-6.8, NO3 0.75 mg/L, PO4 unmeasurable at the moment (I'm trying to starve some bba), water temp 78 deg F. On the recommendation of several shrimp breeders, I have started adding to the tank 1 drop of Kent iodine per gallon per week. Many others have raised Cherry Shrimp without the iodine, so I can't really say if they need it or not.

How long have you had your Cherry Shrimp? Are they dying because of age? Have you used any medicines containing copper in the tank? Do you have any blue-green algae in the tank? Are you certain that the shrimp are dying and not just molting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCe^bOwleRz
Hi...

can anyone help me by giving me the ideal water parameters for my cherry shrimps?
Gh,Kh,Ph and many more....

pls help me as my cherry shrimps have been dying day by day...

29 gal planted tank, 30" FW Aqualights w/ 1x 65W 6700K CF & 1x 55W 9325K CF, 20-lb CO2 w/ Milwaukee SMS122 controller, reverse-flow UGF (bah!), gravel substrate (also bah!), 4 Praecox, 3 Ottocats, 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose cat, 2-3 C. japonica, 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, & too many detestable pond snails!!!
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
aCe^bOwleRz
Algae Grower

hi splash...

forgot to mention that i'm from Singapore...

nope...they actually died coz the lay sideways and does not move...
the legs also din move at all...

anyway 2morrow gettin another new batch of cherry...
also buying cooper remover and also iodine...
i did not use any medication...

my water temp is 25-26...
quite cool i guess...

Old 03-21-2004, 01:03 PM   #4
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

My red cherries (and amanos) have been doing very well for 5 months in the follownig conditions:

gH/kH ~5, water temp ~65 F, pH ~8.0, currently only fertilizing the substrate.

The shrimp have molted at least one time each and I haven't lost any (except one that died a few days after I bought it).

^iMp^
^iMp^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Splash
Planted Member

Brrr...absolutely frigid!!! Seems like most of the rest of the world has that 25 deg cold water.

Do you live in an older home or building? I'm wondering if you might be getting heavy metals leaching from your pipes. This can be a problem, particularly if your tap water tends to be slightly acidic. I'm guessing blindly here, but invertebrates are very sensitive to metals.

Quote:
hi splash...
my water temp is 25-26...
quite cool i guess...

29 gal planted tank, 30" FW Aqualights w/ 1x 65W 6700K CF & 1x 55W 9325K CF, 20-lb CO2 w/ Milwaukee SMS122 controller, reverse-flow UGF (bah!), gravel substrate (also bah!), 4 Praecox, 3 Ottocats, 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose cat, 2-3 C. japonica, 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, & too many detestable pond snails!!!
Old 03-21-2004, 07:37 PM   #6
aCe^bOwleRz
Algae Grower

haha...

actually over here quite difficult to get 25 like that...but i really dun know how i manage to get that low jus by using 2 fans...

anyway how do i get rid of the metals?
today i'm goin to by cooper remover...
or maybe when i see in the LFS they sell any remover...i should just go ahead and buy...

can suggest what remover should i buy?

thanks...
Old 03-22-2004, 05:05 PM   #7
Splash
Planted Member

I have used SeaChem Cuprisorb previously to remove copper from a snail-killer solution. It will also remove other heavy metals. Most of the other resins for removing copper will also remove other metals.

You might also consider putting a high-quality carbon in your filter for awhile. That will help remove any organic poisons, such as herbicide or pesticide residues.

Good luck!!!

P.S. -- I was in Singapore back in 1982 and enjoyed the sights, both old and new. I particularly liked walking along the fishing piers and seeing the colorful boats with eyes painted on the bows.

Quote:
haha...

actually over here quite difficult to get 25 like that...but i really dun know how i manage to get that low jus by using 2 fans...

anyway how do i get rid of the metals?
today i'm goin to by cooper remover...
or maybe when i see in the LFS they sell any remover...i should just go ahead and buy...

can suggest what remover should i buy?

thanks...
Old 03-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #8
Splash
Planted Member

Quote:
Say...I just noticed this. You are using fans to increase evaporation and keep your tank cool. (I also do this in the hot summer, but to a lesser extent than you.) Do you replace the water lost to evaporation with distilled or deionized water? If not, you will be concentrating all sorts of minerals and other "impurities" in your tank. What is your KH and GH?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
IUnknown
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown

I think he means celcius.
IUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #10
Splash
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUnknown
Really?
Old 03-28-2004, 12:25 AM   #11
aCe^bOwleRz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUnknown
yeah...it's celcius....
i will top up water daily...
store overnight water and pour in the water the following morning...
the rate of evaporation is great that for my 2ft tank...i top up 3 litres everyday...

Old 03-28-2004, 12:29 AM   #12
aCe^bOwleRz
Algae Grower

[quote="Splash"]I have used SeaChem Cuprisorb previously to remove copper from a snail-killer solution. It will also remove other heavy metals. Most of the other resins for removing copper will also remove other metals.

You might also consider putting a high-quality carbon in your filter for awhile. That will help remove any organic poisons, such as herbicide or pesticide residues.

Good luck!!!

P.S. -- I was in Singapore back in 1982 and enjoyed the sights, both old and new. I particularly liked walking along the fishing piers and seeing the colorful boats with eyes painted on the bows.
[quote]

ok...will as my LFS if they got the SeaChem Cuprisorb...
wat are those other resins? can give me some example...

Old 03-28-2004, 01:55 AM   #13
Splash
Planted Member

Hmmm...the only other metal-absorbing resin I can think of is Kent Marine's Toxic Metal Sponge (which can be used in fresh or salt water). I suspect that there are other resins of which I am not aware.

Your comment on topping off the evaporated water with "overnight water" has me confused. When I wrote of topping off with distilled or deionized water, I was talking about water that has been specially treated to remove all mineral content. In the US, you can buy deionized water in the store or make it yourself by passing tapwater through a special resin column (which is the method that I use.) However, given the large evaporation volume that you have (3 liters/day), you might want to consider investing in a Reverse Osmosis system, which uses a semi-permeable membrane to separate "almost-pure" water from most of the dissolved minerals.

You should also see if your LFS has a test kit for measuring carbonate hardness (KH) and general hardness (GH) in your aquarium. That would be a relatively cheap way to find out just how much problem the evaporation is causing in your aquarium...how much the mineral content is rising due to evaporation.
-------------------------------

BTW, I knew you meant Celcius...somtimes it is hard to joke well over the internet because the other person cannot see your face. Or perhaps it was just a weak joke...

Quote:
ok...will as my LFS if they got the SeaChem Cuprisorb
...wat are those other resins? can give me some example...
Old 03-28-2004, 03:23 AM   #14
aCe^bOwleRz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash
Hmmm...the only other metal-absorbing resin I can think of is Kent Marine's Toxic Metal Sponge (which can be used in fresh or salt water). I suspect that there are other resins of which I am not aware.

Your comment on topping off the evaporated water with "overnight water" has me confused. When I wrote of topping off with distilled or deionized water, I was talking about water that has been specially treated to remove all mineral content. In the US, you can buy deionized water in the store or make it yourself by passing tapwater through a special resin column (which is the method that I use.) However, given the large evaporation volume that you have (3 liters/day), you might want to consider investing in a Reverse Osmosis system, which uses a semi-permeable membrane to separate "almost-pure" water from most of the dissolved minerals.

You should also see if your LFS has a test kit for measuring carbonate hardness (KH) and general hardness (GH) in your aquarium. That would be a relatively cheap way to find out just how much problem the evaporation is causing in your aquarium...how much the mineral content is rising due to evaporation.
they do have the test kits...got so many test kits which i also don't know which 1 is essential...i normally don't measure any water parameters...
maybe now i should...

i mean that i store water from the tap overnight...
so that the water minerals & chlorine and other metals all will be stable...
so it's just like storing water overnight...

Old 03-28-2004, 01:56 PM   #15
Splash
Planted Member

OK, but storing water overnight will not solve your problem. When 3 liters of water evaporates from your aquarium, all of the minerals that would normally be dissolved in that water remain behind in your aquarium. Every day water is evaporating and leaving behind more and more minerals. Putting in overnight water doesn't help, because that water also contains dissolved minerals. Eventually, the mineral load remaining in the tank from many days of evaporation can become toxic to sensitive plants and animals.

The are two ways to solve this problem:

1) Replace the evaporated water with distilled, deionized, or reverse-osmosis water, all of which have "no" or "very low" dissolved minerals.

2) Change out all of the water in your aquarium periodically to reset the mineral content back to an acceptable level. But this is best done in an aquarium that does not have gravel or soil, because you need to rinse the entire tank to flush out the dissolved minerals that have collected due to evaporation. You can still keep plants in this sort of tank by growing them in pots, which you can hide behind decorative rock or wood.

Quote:
i mean that i store water from the tap overnight...so that the water minerals & chlorine and other metals all will be stable...so it's just like storing water overnight...