1-2 months in, EI dosing, Looking for thoughts on growth/algae PICS incl.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #1
mightymizz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

1-2 months in, EI dosing, Looking for thoughts on growth/algae PICS incl.

Tank is 1-2 months old.

Stats:
Tank- 29g
Lighting- 1 Finnex 30" Planted Plus
Hours: ON 6-10am, and 4-8pm to be able to view tank while not away.
Substrate- Activ Flora
No CO2
eheim 2215 (only source of flow also)

Dosing:
Macros- Every other day, 5ml
Micros- Every other day, 5ml
Excel- 4ml daily, 12ml on Water Change day
Water Change: 50% weekly

Here is the amounts of Ferts I added to a 500ml bottle:
KNO3- 58g
MGSO4- 20g
KH2PO4-10g
K2SO4-30g

Also, CSM + B at 40g in separate 500ml bottle.

Questions:
1. I have some algae growing that I tried to show. Some is green spot algae on the glass, some is hanging from the plants (see Pics). I am not concerned with my aquascaping as I put in a lot of plants and hoped they would just start to grow and out compete the potential algae. Is there something I might change to help stop the growth of algae?

2. Any other thoughts on dosing amounts, lighting schedule, general observations? Some of the plants don't seem to be thriving either, or their coloration doesnt look the best (in my rookie perspective).?

Here are the pics.

Full Tank

Funky algae

Right side of tank

Left side of tank

Funky algae growing off of leaves

Thanks!
mightymizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 AM   #2
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Going to keep an ey eon this, as you have a fairly similar setup to me.

The thing is, and maybe it is because of how many plants you have, I thought EI dosing on a tank with no CO2 and not quite high light was supposed to be once a week after a water change. Also, where did you get your calculations and are you going by 29 gallons or how much water is actually in the tank?

Thanks!
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 03:53 AM   #3
mightymizz
Algae Grower

I have used the EI dosages to make up the 500ml bottle, but am dosing every other day to make up for the fact that I'm not dosing CO2. Maybe I'm still dosing too much?

I based the water amount by the tank size alone. I understand that there aren't 29 actual gallons, but just to have a stable number to work from rather than guessing and that number fluctuating.

As far as the calculations, I used the peta calc and recommedations from the "EI dosing explained thread".
Old 04-30-2014, 03:59 AM   #4
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Nice looking tank, I agree with how are you getting the calculations for the ferts from? Because what I'm getting from my calculations is higher then what you're dosing.

To DefStatic: You're referring to a low light setup that should be dosed once a week EI, but for someone with medium lighting and above EI weekly schedule is best because of the amount of lighting increases a plants photosynthesis process, the higher the light, the faster the process.

As for a lighting schedule, mine come on a 9:30am, and shut off at 4:30pm which is 7 hours of high lighting with a burst of light between 11am-1pm to simulate high noon sunlight.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 AM   #5
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
Nice looking tank, I agree with how are you getting the calculations for the ferts from? Because what I'm getting from my calculations is higher then what you're dosing.

To DefStatic: You're referring to a low light setup that should be dosed once a week EI, but for someone with medium lighting and above EI weekly schedule is best because of the amount of lighting increases a plants photosynthesis process, the higher the light, the faster the process.

As for a lighting schedule, mine come on a 9:30am, and shut off at 4:30pm which is 7 hours of high lighting with a burst of light between 11am-1pm to simulate high noon sunlight.

Yeah I just re-read one of the articles I am using for figuring out Ei dosing and it said 3 times a week. The other article I was looking at was for even lower tech.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:15 AM   #6
Shremph
Algae Grower

Quote:

The average fert calculator (YANC etc); if you choose "EI daily" instead of "The Estimative Index" to do the calculations via the drop down menu, it will produce his results.
Shremph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shremph View Post
The average fert calculator (YANC etc); if you choose "EI daily" instead of "The Estimative Index" to do the calculations via the drop down menu, it will produce his results.

But he's not dosing everything daily, he's dosing every other day, and it says "Dose these levels 2-4 times a week for EI" which means he's under dosing his tank which would be the reason for some of the plants not growing, and looking unhealthy because there's not enough nutrients being supplied to the tank.

So my thoughts are he's better following "The Estimative Index" because it's made for his dosing regime of every other day with a weekly 50% water change.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
Shremph
Algae Grower

Quote:
But he's not dosing everything daily, he's dosing every other day, and it says "Dose these levels 2-4 times a week for EI" which means he's under dosing his tank which would be the reason for some of the plants not growing, and looking unhealthy because there's not enough nutrients being supplied to the tank.

So my thoughts are he's better following "The Estimative Index" because it's made for his dosing regime of every other day with a weekly 50% water change.
Just stating what regimen he was following since you asked in your post. Its obviously not the correct dosing scheme.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Shremph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

how is the flow in your tank with just the eheim? I can't speak for the green spot algae, but increased/better flow in your tank will help with that algae in the last picture. it's a little blurry but that looks like it could be staghorn.

jbig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
Matthew RJ
Planted Member

I thought EI with no CO2 was a no no.
Matthew RJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew RJ View Post
Nope, although you are not the first to believe that. It seems there used to be a mindset that it was not a good idea. However, there are many documented cases of using the EI dosage for low tech, low light and low tech med light.

The addition of CO2 (with high lights) just changes the EI dosage. Plants need nutrients regardless.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
Matthew RJ
Planted Member

I've got the ferts just waiting to go, but no CO2. yet I'm using t5 lights, and have lots of reading still to do.
I'm also watching this thread with interest.
Matthew RJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #13
greaser84
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

One thing I notice is the tank is only 1-2 months old, I'd say your plants haven't fully established themselves yet. What are your water parameters? If your still cycling then its to early to tell if there are going to be problems. Algae in a new tank is pretty normal in my book.(which isn't very long and has mostly pictures!)
greaser84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 02:09 AM   #14
mightymizz
Algae Grower

Yeah, I wondered if it was because my tank is new. At the same time, I am not sure if I am dosing enough, too much, or too little.

I have no idea if flow is "acceptable" with just the Eheim 2215, or if more experienced fish folks would recommend more flow.

I'm also not sure if my light on schedule is ok, or if I should only have the lights off time be more like 2 hours in between the on periods instead of my current schedule.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:14 AM   #15
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew RJ View Post
Because he's dosing Excel which is a liquid form of carbon it should be treated as if he has co2 so again following the estimative index on the calculator is going to help him with continued, and steady growth of his plants.

The Ehiem 2215 is sufficient for providing the flow needed for a 29 gallon tank, as for the lighting photo-period I've found between 7-9 hours is sufficient lighting period. But I prefer to use a T5HO Quad lighting system for my planted tanks because it lets me use different lighting nanometer spectrum's; Like right now on my 45 gallon long tank (48"x12"x19") I have a 48" Odyssea T5HO Quad 4x54w lighting system (which will be replaced by aquaticlife) but for the bulbs I'm running 1x6500k, 1x12,000k white actinic bulb, 1x3000k bulb, and 1xWavePoint Ultra Growth Wave bulb.

My lighting period is this

9:30am the 6500k & 12,000k bulbs turn on, at 11:00am the 3000k & ultra growth wave bulbs turn on giving the tank a light burst to simulate high noon lighting, at 1:00pm the 6500k &12,000k bulbs turn off, and at 4:30pm the 3000k & ultra growth bulbs turn off.

So why am I doing this kind of lighting; because plants have 2 different chlorophyll stages, chlorophyll A responds to 460nm, and chlorophyll B responds to 660nm. The 12,000k white actinic bulb supplies the 460nm for the plants, and the 3000k supplies the 660nm for the plants.

Last edited by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx; 05-01-2014 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: ...
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.