Anubias thread
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 04-30-2014, 02:29 AM   #1
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Anubias thread

I'm gonna let this be the thread for all things Anubias related, since I don't think there is one, but I will kick it off with an Anubias congensis question. How do you propagate sp. congensis, is it the same as most rhizome plants, ie cut the rhizome?..also can someone explain in detail the propagation of rhizome plants, I know you cut the rhizome but I am confused from there, does this mean split the rhizome right there and wait for a new plant to come off of the chunk, or score the rhizome and new growth will come from there and then split it...thank you in advance for your clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seadon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

And anybody else, please post any Anubias related Q & A, experience, advice, or pictures here...let's he a little database going, I will put my Sp. Congensis pic up when I get home with it.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 AM   #3
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Love anubias, definitely deserves a thread for its awesomeness!

1:20 in roughly starts talking about cutting and shows some examples.
I've had to cut rot off of new anubias I bought, use a razor, cut into healthy rhizome (don't leave any of the rot) and i dip the cut end in peroxide fro good measure.
For propagating find a spot where cutting the rhizome won't damage a leaf stem, and use sharp (clean) razor or scissors. Make sure your tank is in good shape, filth tanks may lead to rot in the new cut

I love anubias, its hard and does well in my high gh/kh water.
Current collection:Anubias Afzelli
Anubias Broadleaf
Anubias Bateri
Anubias Congensis
Anubias Coffefolia (x2)
Anubias Frazeri (x2)
Anubias Heterophylla
Anubias Lanceolata
Anubias Nana (x6)
Anbuias nana 'narrow leaf' (x2)
Anubias Petite (x3)
Anubias Stardust
+2 unidentified anubias
I STILL WANT MORE.. MOOOOORRREEEEE

Ahem... anyways tank shot: all anubias on the right side, plan to eventually fill hole 20g long with anubias and remove the stem plants

Will get close ups someday.. so far only have one of the stardust
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
sharko
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Alright anubias experts, I want to know about anubias and nutrient deficiencies:
I have anubias nana with DIY CO2, cruddy aqueon hood stock light, dosing API Leaf zone with weekly water change. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. Since the addition of the CO2 I have seen about 1 new leaf per plant every 1-2 weeks. Some of the plants grow leaves with rippled edges, sometimes when they unfold they remain curly. Several of the plants have pin holes in the leaves, but these are few and only in the largest, oldest leaves. This sounds like nutrient deficiency right? I'm new to ferts, so any clues or things to test for would be helpful. Thank!
sharko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not sure what if means for sure...but I would trim those leaves off, it sounds like it's nothing to fret over though. Also, check out aquariumfertilizer.com ...that's where I got my macro/micro mix w/plantex for under $20! And I got 10 root zone tabs for im under $10, and shipping is cheap too...also for a few $'s more( and by a few I literally mean 2-3 MAX) you can find nilocg's ferts on here and I hear nothing but good things. Just some suggestions, the water column dosing on top of the API CO2 booster and Leaf Zone did wonders for my low tech tank. And I am sure somebody on here can diagnose your precise issue with your leaves, but in the mean time I know that my suggestion is an appropriate course of action for now.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Love anubias, definitely deserves a thread for its awesomeness!

HOW TO CUT ANUBIAS, 2 from 1 Species Sunday, How To split Anubias, How to split a sword - YouTube 1:20 in roughly starts talking about cutting and shows some examples.

I've had to cut rot off of new anubias I bought, use a razor, cut into healthy rhizome (don't leave any of the rot) and i dip the cut end in peroxide fro good measure.

For propagating find a spot where cutting the rhizome won't damage a leaf stem, and use sharp (clean) razor or scissors. Make sure your tank is in good shape, filth tanks may lead to rot in the new cut

I love anubias, its hard and does well in my high gh/kh water.

Current collection:Anubias Afzelli

Anubias Broadleaf

Anubias Bateri

Anubias Congensis

Anubias Coffefolia (x2)

Anubias Frazeri (x2)

Anubias Heterophylla

Anubias Lanceolata

Anubias Nana (x6)

Anbuias nana 'narrow leaf' (x2)

Anubias Petite (x3)

Anubias Stardust

+2 unidentified anubias

I STILL WANT MORE.. MOOOOORRREEEEE

Ahem... anyways tank shot: all anubias on the right side, plan to eventually fill hole 20g long with anubias and remove the stem plants

Will get close ups someday.. so far only have one of the stardust

Thanks for the support, such a cool plant, with such a wide variation of species, so I thought that it needed a set place for people to admire and inquire. Also, impressive collection! Now, let's get down to brass tacks...is the aquatic 'banana plant' in any way related to the Anubias family? And thank you for the info on propagation...now once I take care of my bacteria bloom I can start multiplying! :hehe:

Old 04-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharko View Post
Alright anubias experts, I want to know about anubias and nutrient deficiencies:
I have anubias nana with DIY CO2, cruddy aqueon hood stock light, dosing API Leaf zone with weekly water change. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. Since the addition of the CO2 I have seen about 1 new leaf per plant every 1-2 weeks. Some of the plants grow leaves with rippled edges, sometimes when they unfold they remain curly. Several of the plants have pin holes in the leaves, but these are few and only in the largest, oldest leaves. This sounds like nutrient deficiency right? I'm new to ferts, so any clues or things to test for would be helpful. Thank!
I'm no expert! But it sounds like you have a potassium deficiency. Check the levels in API Leaf zone, i've never used it personally.

I think this is a great thread to start! Anubias are such a fun plant it would be nice to get some nice shots of each of the species for a main reference in the OP.
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharko View Post
Can't say for sure without a photo.. are the crinkled and pin hold leaves old growth?
I was told crinkling/curled leaves it a nitrate deficiency (got a large batch of anubias that all had this problem, new growth looks fine though.. funny seeing nana so crinckled thye look like coffefolia. Pinholes may be potassium levels are too low.
There's also a form member (I'm having a brain fart on their name) who made a sight for aquatic plant deficiencies.. I'm sure they'll chime in here eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadon View Post
Thanks for the support, such a cool plant, with such a wide variation of species, so I thought that it needed a set place for people to admire and inquire. Also, impressive collection! Now, let's get down to brass tacks...is the aquatic 'banana plant' in any way related to the Anubias family? And thank you for the info on propagation...now once I take care of my bacteria bloom I can start multiplying! :hehe:

Thank you ^^ sadly i lost 3 of them today a coffefolia, a tiny piece of nana (didn't expect it to live, had virtually no rhizome) and.. uh can't recall the name for the last one was a tall narrow leafed anubias I got recently...( lost them to rhizome rot :c) so its a smaller collection now.. going to have to buy more!
Don't quote me on this, but I thought I read that the banana plant was more closely related to the 'lotus' plants than the anubias family.. again might be remembering wrong. I know the Bucephalandra is a close relative of the anubias (at least that's what I recall recently reading on this forum).

Some more close up in tank anubias shots with guest appearance of some gloso and Arit'oto' the betta

Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (10/100%)

i'm a big anubias fan, and i totally dig this thread idea.

so i'll go ahead and show off a little bit. i am by no means an expert, i just have a green thumb and a tiny bit of patience.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck5003 View Post
I'm no expert! But it sounds like you have a potassium deficiency. Check the levels in API Leaf zone, i've never used it personally.

I think this is a great thread to start! Anubias are such a fun plant it would be nice to get some nice shots of each of the species for a main reference in the OP.

Thanks...I will start working on a comprehensive gallery today, and maybe get something up by tonight or tomorrow am

Old 04-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post

HOLY CRAP THAT'S HUGE!! Nana or barteri? How many years has it been growing to get that big?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

Aquatic Delight- WOWWWW!

Anubias is my favorite aquatic plant. I have two in my 55 gallon tank, and one regular-sized anubias nana and two "petite" anubias nana in a shrimp cube. I'm experimenting with growing the leaves of the regular-sized anubias out of the water.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

It's typically tough to keep anubias in high light w/o getting GSA but I've managed quite well in the past few months after upping my phosphates. These are the typical nana variety but I do like them too. I like how they flower.

My anubias were some of the first plants I purchased ever (back around 2003 I guess). Had them in a 55gal until we built our home and I had a 135gal built into the wall. It was low tech & I know nothing about what I was doing at the time. They all had terrible nutrient deficiencies and tons of BBA. I trashed a 6 gal trash can filled to the brim with my anubias and crypts to start all over (April 2013). I decided to keep a few of the anubias to show myself I could learn and turn this tank around. Well went to high tech after learning a ton on this forum and in Jan 2014 I had so many perfectly healthy anubias I sold them off in order to take my tank in a more Dutch inspired route. But I kept one anubias still.
Here's a link to this story (Anubias Jungle) with turn around pics and you can see the massive growth I got...look at those roots !
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...890&highlight=

So this plant is my loan survivor. I'm keeping it and just selling off trimming as it gets too big. I have about a 6" section I need sold if interested !

[img][img]

[img][img]
jfynyson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #14
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (10/100%)

i started growing that a little over a year ago, maybe closer to two years ago. i think it nana. its kinda funny because the nana had flowered 3 times before i attacked it to the log, and it hasn't flowered i put it in the log. i do have to rotate the log once every few months to keep the anubias covering it. it generally requires a full re-scape to do so.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ive had these about 3 months in a 75 Gal, dual T5HO, daily Excel. Eventually I'd like to cover the entire log with them and ditch the java moss. Not sure how they would do higher up though, being closer to the light. So far Im not having any algae issues :knocksonwood:

The one on top right I believe is a Nana, Im not sure what the other three are. Does anyone know?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.