Attaching plants to rock or driftwood
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 04-30-2014, 02:25 AM   #1
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Attaching plants to rock or driftwood

I just got a nice specimen of Anubis congensis, and I would like to attach it to the hard scape rocks in my 29 gallon...what is the best method to do this whith rhizome plants, I also have a banana plant that is pretty established in my tank with 2 roots growing down in the substrate and the rhizome just floating like 2 inches off the bottom, but I would like to attach it to some driftwood, do you just leave the roots in the substrate and tie the rhizome to the wood or pull it up and wrap the roots and tie the whole thing to the wood/rock?...also is it the same for all rhizome plants or is there different methods for all of then? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seadon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 03:08 AM   #2
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I have quite a bit of experience attaching anubias to hardscapes, I used to use sewing thread and diligently tie my plants to the rock/wood with the expectation that the plant would root itself to the hardscape by the time the thread disintegrated. Perhaps I need to learn how to tie better, because this would only work a fraction of the time. The thread would get loose and the plant would float away.

I now almost exclusively use super glue and just glue the darn plants to the hardcape. I have done this with anubias, java ferns, even moss. As long as the glue has cyanoacrylate, it is aquarium safe. This is THE best way to attach plants IMO. The downside is that you either have to drain the tank or remove the piece that the plant is being glued to.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you can get a rubber band around that part of the hardscape, that works pretty well.

Eventually the band will decay and snap, but by then the plant will probably be attached, and you can just fish the broken band out.

As to superglue, I really like the loctite gel. It's a bit more expensive, but it's a pretty viscous gel, and the bottle lets you dispense very small, precise amounts.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm loctite...I actually have some on hand...I would have never guessed it would be useable in aquarium applications though...interesting!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Forgot to mention though, that the glue will turn white in water, so it can be fairly visible if done sloppily. Just a little dab'll do!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Just to clarify, I was referring to a type of superglue/cyanoacrylate. It's just manufactured/marketed by loctite.

It comes in an odd-looking bottle (which is the main advantage) that lets you squeeze out really small amounts, so it's great for putting tiny little dots of superglue on rhizomes and such.

here's an amazon link for the stuff I used:

Amazon.com : Loctite Super Glues (LOC1364076) : Cyanoacrylate Adhesives : Office Products Amazon.com : Loctite Super Glues (LOC1364076) : Cyanoacrylate Adhesives : Office Products
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 02:51 AM   #7
burr740
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

On wood I use push pins. After two or three months just pull them out. Of course they can be rather unsightly, depending on how you look at it.

Here's a pic since I just posted it in another thread.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:07 AM   #8
Lab_Man
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used to use fishing line but I have heard that sometimes fish will get caught in it and injure themselves. I now use super glue whenever I can. As others have said, be careful it turns a white color and will stand out if you use too much.

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
Lab_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #9
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
On wood I use push pins. After two or three months just pull them out. Of course they can be rather unsightly, depending on how you look at it.
Ha, I like this idea much better as I get the glue all over the place but the rhizome. And I need to attach a bunch of java fern today!

Now, who took my push pins?

v3
Old 05-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Just to clarify, I was referring to a type of superglue/cyanoacrylate. It's just manufactured/marketed by loctite.

It comes in an odd-looking bottle (which is the main advantage) that lets you squeeze out really small amounts, so it's great for putting tiny little dots of superglue on rhizomes and such.

here's an amazon link for the stuff I used:

Amazon.com : Loctite Super Glues (LOC1364076) : Cyanoacrylate Adhesives : Office Products

Yeah, that's the good ol' loctite I'm used too.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post

Here's a pic since I just posted it in another thread.

And I do recognize this pic from my Anubias thread :p...thanks for the pic and advice

Old 05-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #12
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Superglue gel works great. I've glued plants onto a submerged location without too much difficulty. Just put a dab of glue on the dry plant then quickly press it in its final location. You have to be quick about it because the water aids in the curing process of the glue.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just use standard fishing line for my mosses and Anubias. I'm sort of a clutz so most of the time the superglue bottle gets attached to my fingers, instead of superglue attaching the plants to driftwood LOL. I just use the lightest line we have around the house, and I've found it's awesome for Anubias as well.
Little Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.