Frosty's 10 Gallon Setup - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 05-28-2008, 02:35 AM   #31
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

Mini update:

My red ramshorn snails have developed a taste for blyxa. They're meticulously stripping every new young leaf from the plants. Its so frustrating having to choose between a plant you really like and an animal you really like!

This is a perfect opportunity to start a new tank! I've been wanting to start a 5 gallon shrimp tank. But should I move the blyxa to a new tank, or all my ramshorns to a new tank? (There are about 30 snails at this point, most are really TINY but they are baby red rams) Probably going to have to move the snails, since I wouldnt be dosing the shrimp tank or going high light. Now to convince my significant other that I need a second tank... this is the hard part.
FrostyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 02:32 AM   #32
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

I'm doing something right! My biggest amano is berried! I wish I could set up more tanks and try to breed them. It kills me that all the babies are going to die. First pic is with flash, second pic without flash.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:36 AM   #33
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Wow! That's awesome! The second pic doesn't look like it was taken with flash. My amano would never do that...
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2008, 02:41 AM   #34
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
Wow! That's awesome! The second pic doesn't look like it was taken with flash. My amano would never do that...
It was the first pic that was taken with flash.

That female amano is fearless. She takes food right out of my hand. I've had her climb all over my hand when I've put it in to do tank maintenance. My endlers peck my hand all over too when I'm trying to move plants around. Its impossible to get anything done.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:46 AM   #35
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Whoops .
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 03:00 AM   #36
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Well, all my blyxa is dead. I thought the ramshorns were eating it cause they were starving, but they were apparently eating it cause it was dying.

I trimmed my rotala rotifundiola. I love this beautiful pink plant. But, its getting quite a number of holes in it. I've seen this happen to someone else, and it was apparently a CO2 issue. I badly want pressurized CO2. Oy.

The amano lost all her eggs. She carried them for over a week. They all turned yellow, as shown in the pics below. The endlers are feisty and learned that they could pec the eggs off her. One male endler followed the amano relentlessly, and would turn upside down to swim underneath her and pick an egg off, or at least attempt to. It was a constant chase. Occasionally, he'd peck her back, and she wouldnt even move. Of course, she's bigger than this endler will EVER grow. She knows who's boss.

On a completely different note, Seasons 1 through 3 of Lost is amazing, and Season 4 sucks. Im very disappointed.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:04 AM   #37
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

And a pic of the baby ramshorns during feeding time. I keep pieces of pre-sliced zucchini frozen so I can just pop up out, click it, and drop it in the tank. The otos, shrimp, snails, and endlers all love it. The couple pond snails I have in the tank arent as attracted to it, though, for anyone looking for a way to get rid of pond snails. But if its ramshorns you're looking to collect, zucchini is the way to go.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #38
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Here's an updated full tank shot. Looking back since I first got the rotala rotifundiola, I'm shocked at how it tripled in size over the last 2 months. More than tripled in size! I just trimmed back the wisteria down to almost nothing. Also, I took this picture a few days ago, and this morning I pulled out what HC I had growing, and spread out the new E. tennellus I purchased. There's two new runners since I put it in the tank last weekend. I also pulled out the struggling/dying stargrass in the back left. I'll let the vals fill in that corner.

I should mention, I switched to pressurized paintball CO2, and I have constant pearling now. I lovvvvvve it. I'm using the red sea paintball system. Not the cheapest, but definitely the easiest. My endlers have started reproducing. I'll probably have a population explosion within a month. Oh, and if anyone local wants some free baby red ramshorn snails, please let me know. I have too many.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #39
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Nice to see an update. Your tank is doing well. I bet you love that CO2. I'm getting my pressurized system soon, and I cant wait!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #40
Bk828
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)

Tank looking good. lol cant believe these are the same snails you got from my friend that time.. they multiply faster than rabbits.

Bk828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #41
rovor24
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Awesome looking tank. I really like how your rotala rotifundiola is turning out. Can you take clipping of those? If you have spare let me know. Also, can I achieve the same outcome without using CO2 diffuser? I already dropped $200 on my 10gal set up and don't want to waste anymore money. I'm using 38W CF light with Marineland 100 filter rated for 20 gal with occasional Flourish dousing. Is this too much water flow for planted tank?
rovor24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #42
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
Nice to see an update. Your tank is doing well. I bet you love that CO2. I'm getting my pressurized system soon, and I cant wait!
Whatever you do, make sure you get a drop checker. That alone, is a worthwhile investment, even for people using DIY CO2, in my opinion.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #43
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovor24 View Post
Awesome looking tank. I really like how your rotala rotifundiola is turning out. Can you take clipping of those? If you have spare let me know. Also, can I achieve the same outcome without using CO2 diffuser? I already dropped $200 on my 10gal set up and don't want to waste anymore money. I'm using 38W CF light with Marineland 100 filter rated for 20 gal with occasional Flourish dousing. Is this too much water flow for planted tank?
Thanks for the compliment. It's a work in progress. No CO2 diffuser? Are you running pressurized or DIY? What are you using to get the CO2 into your tank? I was using a nano glass diffuser while using DIY CO2, and now I'm using a reactor that came with the Red Sea kit.

I think water flow is a good thing, especially considering how much all the leaves and plants are going to cut down the current in the tank. Just keep delicate plants away from the outflow of the filter. To keep surface movement down, I always keep my tank topped off to the max, and I usually run my filter on its lowest setting. I'm using an Aquaclear HOB rated for tanks up to 20 gallons (or was it 30?). I do use a sponge over the filter intake which somewhat reduces flow, but more importantly, keeps endler fry, shrimp, and tiny snails out of the filter. Big filters are great when it comes to media choices. I love having lots of room to personalize.

The first four inches or so of my rotala is a mess of holes and looks terrible, because my plants suffered for several weeks when I didnt realize that my DIY CO2 bottles werent producing as much CO2 as I thought. I thought it was a nutrient deficiency, but it was actually carbon that they were lacking. So I really need to cut them down and replant the tops and throw out the ugly bottoms. When I do have some nice cuttings, I'll let you know. I only paid $3 for the bunch that I got at a LFS, though... of course, they were much smaller back then.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #44
rovor24
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
Thanks for the compliment. It's a work in progress. No CO2 diffuser? Are you running pressurized or DIY? What are you using to get the CO2 into your tank? I was using a nano glass diffuser while using DIY CO2, and now I'm using a reactor that came with the Red Sea kit.

I think water flow is a good thing, especially considering how much all the leaves and plants are going to cut down the current in the tank. Just keep delicate plants away from the outflow of the filter. To keep surface movement down, I always keep my tank topped off to the max, and I usually run my filter on its lowest setting. I'm using an Aquaclear HOB rated for tanks up to 20 gallons (or was it 30?). I do use a sponge over the filter intake which somewhat reduces flow, but more importantly, keeps endler fry, shrimp, and tiny snails out of the filter. Big filters are great when it comes to media choices. I love having lots of room to personalize.

The first four inches or so of my rotala is a mess of holes and looks terrible, because my plants suffered for several weeks when I didnt realize that my DIY CO2 bottles werent producing as much CO2 as I thought. I thought it was a nutrient deficiency, but it was actually carbon that they were lacking. So I really need to cut them down and replant the tops and throw out the ugly bottoms. When I do have some nice cuttings, I'll let you know. I only paid $3 for the bunch that I got at a LFS, though... of course, they were much smaller back then.

I attempted a DIY CO2, but I don't think I'm getting much out of it. I run the line to the intake of my filter and let the impeller break the CO2 into tiny bubbles for me. I think I will remove the DIY CO2 soon and look for another way of getting CO2 into my tank. Seeing from your post, CO2 really make a big difference. Well, that and skills . I see if I can budget for CO2 system. For now I'm dousing with Flourish and Excel, should I be using anything else? Also, how do you get rid of black spots on plants (anubius for mine)? I think they might be green spot algae but not sure on how to get rid of them. Can't seem to rub them off.
rovor24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #45
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovor24 View Post
I attempted a DIY CO2, but I don't think I'm getting much out of it. I run the line to the intake of my filter and let the impeller break the CO2 into tiny bubbles for me. I think I will remove the DIY CO2 soon and look for another way of getting CO2 into my tank. Seeing from your post, CO2 really make a big difference. Well, that and skills . I see if I can budget for CO2 system. For now I'm dousing with Flourish and Excel, should I be using anything else? Also, how do you get rid of black spots on plants (anubius for mine)? I think they might be green spot algae but not sure on how to get rid of them. Can't seem to rub them off.
You can absolutely have a beautiful tank with a DIY CO2 setup. Just make sure to change the yeast/sugar solution every couple weeks, even if its still bubbling. The solution really only lasts 2 to 3 weeks, unless you're using a jello recipe varient. I've made the mistake of leaving the same yeast solution for over a month, because it was still bubbling, but I didnt realize that the bubbles were far fewer than a full-strength solution since the change was so gradual. I'd definitely go with DIY CO2 rather than no CO2.

Depending on your lighting, Flourish and Excel may or may not be all you need to dose. Those two dose micro-nutrients and carbon, respectively, but don't dose macro-nutrients. If you have high lighting, you may need to dose NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium).

You may be stuck with the green spot aglae. Try a rubbing with some paper towels or a very soft toothbrush or algae pad. You don't want to hurt your anubias of course. I've heard that nerite snails can eat green spot algae, but that algae is really stubborn and I doubt you'll be able to get it off the leaves. I've never grown anubias (I like fast growth), so Im not the best person to be handing out advice on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.