Frosty's 10 Gallon Setup - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-11-2008, 05:33 AM   #16
Bk828
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)

Tank is looking great. lol you sure you got that many rams and not 1000000?? lol they are worse than rabbits. Are those the ones you got from the guy i directed you to??

Bk828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #17
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk828 View Post
Tank is looking great. lol you sure you got that many rams and not 1000000?? lol they are worse than rabbits. Are those the ones you got from the guy i directed you to??
Yep. Props to you for the ramshorns I was looking for. I'm really happy with them, and they've doubled in size in the last two weeks. I dont think I have 1000000 yet... but soon. They do breed exponentially. I'm battling some pond snails right now tho, and just crushing them with my long-handled tweezers whenever I see one.
FrostyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #18
thejoie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to thejoie

I love your tank!

I just set up a 10 gallon tank and got the Satellite fixture as well.

I assume you switched out the original bulb and got the Daylight bulb? I'm considering doing that now. I just need a good place to buy the bulb.
thejoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:43 AM   #19
Ladykatze
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It looks great! Just like I expected it to! Keep up the good work, and please keep us updated.

28 Gallon bowfront (planted) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...tml#post528555

20 Gallon Long - 7 Red Eyed Tetras, 1 Pleco, 6 Otos

14 Gallon Hex (planted) - 1 Male Betta; 7 Otos; 5 Gold Barbs

10 Gallon - Undetermined number of Platys,

"Is this the 12 Step Program? No? I guess I'll stay, then."
Ladykatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #20
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Cheryl,
Thanks! And hey, shouldn't you be updating your signature with the 75 gallon?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:33 AM   #21
Ladykatze
Algae Grower

I will, but there have been some complications. This evening is the first time I have touched a computer since last Sunday night

28 Gallon bowfront (planted) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...tml#post528555

Old 05-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #22
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Well, its been a couple weeks. I pulled out all the HM in my tank because it was mysteriously turning white and developing holes in its leaves, with lots of dead leaves under the new growth. I had trimmed it several times, but eventually got tired of it and pulled it out. I stuck my stargrass trimmings in the center midground and hopefully that will grow in somewhat bushy.

Then, I had a little battle with hair algae, which I've described in another recent post. I pulled out a lot of corkscrew val (this stuff grows like crazy) and had to pull my ludwigia repens and bleach dip it.

I made a trip to a LFS that has $2.99 bunch plants (Buy 3 get one free), and got ludwigia natans, wisteria, red necaea, and rotala rotifundia. I figured the necaea would die, but it that was my free pick. Surprisingly, the necaea is growing, but not surprisingly, the new growth is green/pink and not the shocking red that it was when I bought it. I just stuck it on the side of the tank anyhow, and it's blocking my stargrass. Not sure I'm keeping it.

Also, I want to give props to Charpark, who RAOKed me 20+- endler fry. I'm really excited for these guys to grow up and color up. I'm feeding them hikari guppy food, hikari flake food, and frozen brine shrimp right now. I should really get some brine shrimp eggs and a microworm culture or something.

Below are a pic of the tank, of the new green necaea growth, and my rubin sword's growth. It's incredible how magenta the new leaves are on that plant.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #23
Ladykatze
Algae Grower

I like the reds, and I'm excited to see what your Endlers look like. This has come a long way from your emersed photos!

Cheryl

Old 05-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #24
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Default Frosty's 10 Gallon Setup (Updated 5.14.08)

Well its been almost two weeks. I'm really struggling with the stargrass -- it keeps turning black. It does GREAT as long as I dont touch it. But if I trim it, prune it, replant it, whatever... it gets grey/black sploches on it that don't go away. It does grow fast, and I love how much it branches, but does anyone know of a similar plant that won't discolor when its unhappy?

Anywho, my rotala rotifundiola is really taking off, and I love it. I also won my war on hair algae, I think thanks to Excel overdosing and my new HUGE japonica shrimp. I'll post more pics soon, and I'll try to get some endlers shots (one male has color already, the rest of the fry are too small). Here's shot with some rotala, ludwigia, and vals.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 PM   #25
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor

PTrader: (86/100%)

Wow Frosty you sure know how to make those reds pop out.
I love it
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #26
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Wow Frosty you sure know how to make those reds pop out.
I love it
Thanks, Orlando, but I can only take credit for the rubin sword and the rotala. The red Nesaea is turning green under my light. I'm actually supposed to mail that red plant out to someone who's been looking for it. 40 watts even under a 10 gallon just isnt enough for Nesaea.

That pink rotala though, is turning out to be one of my favorite plants.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:23 AM   #27
Bk828
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)

looking great. I had the same issue with stargrass, it would branch out and grow bushy but the growth was 2 fast. If i didnt trim the bush the center/lower part of the plant would turn pale, and if i did trim it, some leaves would turn pale/black. I switched out this delicate plant for other bushy stem plants.

I also had the red nesea in my tank for a while and it didnt really grow as i expected. Im sure you will get a nice trade for some other interesting plants on the SNS.

Bk828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #28
charpark
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Hey Frosty, just noticed your post...great set-up! Hope you're enjoying the Endlers, looks like you've got a great home for them. Looking forward to seeing them color up quite a bit. Perhaps someone can confirm their class or whatever when they mature.

I'm sure you've got enough, but please let me know if you need more fry or plants later on. My Endlers are still at it and trying to take over the tank.

This goes for anyone in the NYC area as well looking for some free fry. It's great having a local community for trading and raoks, and only possible thanks to the TPT forums!
charpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #29
NstyN8
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Nice looking tank! What's the plant in the right foreground corner?
The rubin looks nice. You'll be moving it to the back real soon. They become monsters! Unless there is a dwarf variety or something...

N8
NstyN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #30
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Charpark - Thank you again for the ROAK fry. I tried to catch the big male to put him in a tic-tac box to take a picture of him. I learned that trick on endlersr.us ... unfortunately, the little guy took to cover in the plants and there's no way getting any tiny fish out of that plant cover... I'll post of a pic of him once he's fully grown but he looks P class endler to me... but I'm no expert by any means. We'll see when they're grown -- I'll post a pic for the endler experts to look at.

NstyN8 - Good eye! It's actually what's left of my Ludwigia repens. I went through a terrible hair algae attack and I bleach-dipped the repens and cut off the entire bottom half. Whatever was left, I stuck into the front right, which is where I originally had a large bush of HM (it was turning pale and getting holes in it, so I tossed it). When the repens grows out, I'll either move it to replace the stargrass that I'm tiring of, or I'll give it away. But yea, I was wondering if anyone would notice that I used a background plant as a foreground plant