Eclipse 3 planted today by newbie
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
JPwhy

PTrader: (0/0%)

Eclipse 3 planted today by newbie

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and to aquariums in general. The unhelpful person at the pet store assured me all I needed was a bit of gravel and maybe some plant food for my eclipse 3 system. So I bought these things and put it all together this morning. Now, I've done a little research after the fact and discovered I may need more than gravel and plant food to keep these plants alive. I'm in love with it but I'm worried that it's all going to die now. Any advice?

JPwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

The ribbon plant on left is a terrestrial plant and will rot. The sword may or may not be a terrestrial plant, depending if it is a brazilian sword or amazon. Either way, it'll get too large for your tank... The fern on the far right is terrestrial as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Go back to petco and ask for your money back. The fact that they do this to people who don't know better makes me sooooo mad!
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Sorry to break the news to ya' but I am pretty sure that all the plants in there are not aquatic plants. If you leave them in they will start to rot. I would suggest doing some research and getting diffrent plants from a diffrent source. Welcome to the PTF by the way!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
AlexXx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tube plants!? Return the plants man! Buy some from the swap and shop, youll get nice quality plants prob more for cheaper too.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #5
tak13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I actually regretted that I bought the Eclipse 6. Their light and filter are pretty crappy. The light is too low is grow any plants. The filter is taking half of the space which is hard to clean up and not let the light shine throughout the tank. I have to buy a new light and filter.
But I actually like the tank itself. Acrylic, pretty safe if we gonna have an earthquake.
tak13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
AlexXx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Acrylic tanks scratch why to easily from my experience...
Old 03-15-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
JPwhy

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yes, tube plants from petco. This is pretty disappointing. I fished the packaging out of the trash and will be taking these back. I hope they take them back. The 3 gallon tank I have was a christmas present and I'm hoping it will work for something. I'll check out the swap and shop. Thanks for the advice everyone.
JPwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
thewesterngate
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Good luck on finding some great plants, I hate that you had to experience the not-so-aquatic aquarium plants they sell. Don't give up! :P
thewesterngate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
shoteh
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Not all tube plants from pet/co/mart are bad. I have found some small java fern and microswords which have given me good results. I usually take pictures or write down the scientific names and do a little research online before purchasing plants from big retail fish stores. Research is my advice, as you will save the most money and learn from the best on here.

Trust me these freaks know how to grow everything
shoteh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
dj2005
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

I have heard of people successfully growing Java Fern and Anubias (I suggest Anubias petite in your case) in a bucket with only indirect sunlight. So, perhaps your tank's lighting would be enough for these plants? Mosses also tend to be able to sustain themselves with minimal lighting.
dj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.