Hallway Betta Evolves
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 AM   #1
Briz
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Hallway Betta Evolves

Got three Evolve 4s on the Petsmart clearance for $30. With a lot of help from my fiancée, I modified two of them for better filtration and less flow. However, I have found that I generally am not impressed with the tanks, so I'm re-selling the third.

Mods
  • Drilled holes along the filter compartment bottom.
  • Siliconed the overflow gap, scuffing the plastic first to help it hold
  • Siliconed along the inside compartment, scuffing the bottom. Just a deterrent to leaking since these are older tanks.
  • Drilled three holes along the filter tube.

We are running out of room in the house for tanks so this was a creative way to solve that and make our hallway a little more interesting.

Putting in an outlet, by the ever helpful fiancée. Such a good sport, even though I get in trouble every time a new project starts up.

Hallway Evolves
And... the hallway.

I plan on having something between the two tanks to block the cords and so that the bettas in each tank cannot see one another.

Left tank
Love this one.

Flora:
* Anubias
* Various crypts
* Fissidens on lava rock

Fauna:
* Betta named "Rarity"

Named Rarity because I got found him at a cup in Petco, and then saw a sibling on Aquabid a few days afterward. Also in part because he's white and purple, much like a certain pony.

Aquabid one

Rarity

Right tank
Flora:
* Various crypts
* Unknown plant front-right

Fauna:
* Betta named "Grinchy"

Grinchy

Not sure if his fins are torn or if it is natural. Should heal up soon now that he's in good care.

Additional Notes
Have a Hydor Theo 25w heater in each tank in the filter compartment. Just using the stock light for now, but can easily suspend a light above both tanks when I need it. The LEDs from these tanks are known to die.

Last edited by Briz; 05-15-2014 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Updating flora/fauna info
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
Briz
Planted Member

I tried to add three amano shrimp to my Edge but something affects inverts strongly in that tank, so I rushed them over to the Evolves. Grinchy was too aggressive, so Rarity got all three.

Some pictures I took while checking how aggressive Rarity would be towards the shrimp.
He wasn't sure what to think.

Wtf is this

How close can I get

He took one very timid peck eventually, to which the shrimp barely flinched. I think they will be OK. Better than a death tank or with Grinchy for sure!
Old 05-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #3
Varmint
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

You always find the cutest Bettas. Bet they are glad to be out of their cups.

I have a couple of Amanos in my Fluval edge V doing clean up while Sammie the crown tail is recovering from Velvet in the hospital. I have my fingers crossed that he will play nice like Rarity does, but knowing Sammie, I may need to re home them.

BTW, your Fiancé is a keeper. What a great guy setting up the hallway for you!
Varmint is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
H2Ogal
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Love your bettas ... Rarity certainly is a rare boy or that amano would've suffered more than a tentative nibble. What cute pics! (Well, great photography, of course. But cute fishy face.) The tank install is great, too.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
Briz
Planted Member

Amanos are a little more safe than the normal dwarf shrimp because they are slightly larger and not as colorful. But yes, they aren't completely betta-proof.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:58 AM   #6
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Yeah it's pretty cool having an Amano + Betta in a tank together. I've successfully had my amano's in the same tank for a year 1/2 now with no injuries to them. It really just depends on the aggression in the Betta.

Beautiful aquascapes & Betta's BTW
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 03:51 AM   #7
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

It's so nice to see really well done tanks that are completely suited for Bettas.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
H2Ogal
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
It's so nice to see really well done tanks that are completely suited for Bettas.
+1

I need at least 3 more characters to post? Hmm...
Old 05-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

You could stuff some sort of low maintenance house plant in between the two tanks.

Do you have any pics of the filter mods? I didn't really make any hard changes on my E8 but i used the plastic filter cartridge "holder" to hold some sponges in place tight to the over flow grates and on the other side I just tossed in a couple small bio media bags.

I've seen others drill holes in the bottom of this compartment but I don't really see point since water is going to fill this space even if left stock. Or did you stuff media in this area also?

Here is mine: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...001&highlight=
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
Crazy4discus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/67%)

Awesome Betta!!!!
Crazy4discus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
Briz
Planted Member

Here's what I did to modify my filtration.
I knocked off the plastic tabs for the filter pad in the sump because I wanted to stuff my own media.

The top layer of the filter is the sponge.

Then ceramic. I will add more when I get more.

The holes at the bottom.

I also plan on adding zeolite underneath the sump area once I get filter media bags. Petsmart used to carry them for cheap but discontinued them. Now I can only find them in stores for $6 or online okay-priced, but with shipping cost.

The silicone in the sump gap.

---

I had the idea to just stuff the outflow nozzle with black coarse sponge to cut back on the flow, and also looks much better than rubber-banding sponge to the outlet where its ugly and visible. I taped up some of the holes on the plastic filter tubes so that it wasn't leeching as much water back to itself. Otherwise there wasn't much flow to the actual tank since the pump was returning its own water supply.

Last edited by Briz; 05-02-2014 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Adding filter mod pictures
Old 05-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
Briz
Planted Member

Decided to just replace the stock filter pumps with Aquatop NP-80. The lowest flow setting is gentle enough without holes in the tubing or sponge in the outtake, plus they are so much quieter and smaller. Replaced the tubing with new tubing from Lowes, although I have to use metal hose clamps to keep it on the pump. I will replace them with plastic hose clamps once I find some.

Added a Greek basil plant between the two tanks. The plant is a little sad right now from being moved to 100% perlite substrate (with Osmocote+), but will hopefully adjust. Otherwise will be replaced with a different plant.

Suspended my Beamworks over the tanks and removed the stock LEDs. There just wasn't much room to get around with them there, and I know the Beamworks' Kelvin.

Added a black posterboard sheet to block light from blinding us as we walk by.

Not much crypt melt, (growing quite tall towards the light!) and the anubias are good.

I went ahead and moved the amanos to my 10g assassin tank for now. I didn't want to stress from the changing of the the filters about them jumping around. Also, not much algae.

I had ordered a fancy betta from Thailand, but when I put him in my assassin breeding tank he was eating baby snails. Not wanting him to eat my assassins, I decided to move him to Grinchy's tank. Grinchy was given to my fiancee's cousin because she had just lost her betta.

Some mild crypt melt here.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Very cool! I like what you did with the filters. That's what I wanted to do with mine originally, but I'm not very crafty and I changed tank styles.
kcoscia is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
AutumnSun
Algae Grower

Bump. How're the tanks doing? Love Rarity! Where did you order the other betta from?
AutumnSun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.