does high phosphate causes brown algae?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
cowmilkcandy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

does high phosphate causes brown algae?

Been battling this stupid algae for a few months now. My phosphate is at 1.0 ppm. 90 gallon low tech no ferts. lights on 7 hours. I can't put any oto's in the tank because my rainbows destroys them. (done it before) I have amano shrimp, and a few nerite snails to try to control it but it's not enough. It's getting on the glass, and almost all my plants. It's so depressing. I almost want to tear down my tank and start over. help me please! Here's a picture of the algae on the glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	312985  

Last edited by cowmilkcandy; 04-29-2014 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: typo
cowmilkcandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 01:23 AM   #2
MWebee
Algae Killer

PTrader: (10/100%)

From what I've been reading online yes. High PO4 can be a factor creating a diatom outbreak. Also high Nitrates and light. Clean your glass while siphoning out what's coming off. Remove easily removable plants and clean them in the sink. Get more snails? Water changes!!!
MWebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have high phosphates in some of my tanks 3-4ppm, with no algae problems. 1 ppm isn't that high in my opinion. If you have diatoms you might have high silicates, after all that's what they feed on, test your water source and the tank water. RO water helps a lot in brown algae control. If you don't have RO, phosguard worked great for me.
greaser84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:59 AM   #4
Evanleigh
Algae Grower

I have the same brown algae and beard moss in my tank. I feel your frustration! Don't mean to sound dumb, but how do you measure Phosphates? My water testing kits don't have a phosphate calculator. Also what is RO water? Thanks
*My hope is that as the young cichlids grow with their current tank mates, they will get along with them when they are adult*
Evanleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:00 AM   #5
cowmilkcandy
Algae Grower

I really don't think i'm doing anything wrong that's why i'm so frustrated. I do water changes once a week. I did test my water, and my nitrate is not high at all. My LFS also suggested me to try phosguard as this is my last resort considering i don't have RO water. So phosguard will solve my problem?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:32 AM   #6
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmilkcandy View Post
Been battling this stupid algae for a few months now. My phosphate is at 1.0 ppm. 90 gallon low tech no ferts. lights on 7 hours. I can't put any oto's in the tank because my rainbows destroys them. (done it before) I have amano shrimp, and a few nerite snails to try to control it but it's not enough. It's getting on the glass, and almost all my plants. It's so depressing. I almost want to tear down my tank and start over. help me please! Here's a picture of the algae on the glass.
How old is the tank? Brown algae usually just goes away if its a new setup. Is it getting any direct sunlight? I've had problems if the Sun hits the tank as well.

Quote:
I have the same brown algae and beard moss in my tank. I feel your frustration! Don't mean to sound dumb, but how do you measure Phosphates? My water testing kits don't have a phosphate calculator. Also what is RO water? Thanks
R.O= Reverse Osmosis. Phosphate kits need to be purchased separately from other test kits.

Although, I rarely test for phosphate I feel its inaccurate, and doesn't really cause algae.
Too much light or too long photo period/ferts/lack of co2 cause algae. Getting all in balance will fix the problem.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
cowmilkcandy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
How old is the tank? Brown algae usually just goes away if its a new setup. Is it getting any direct sunlight? I've had problems if the Sun hits the tank as well..

Since January. I don't think it's considered a new tank. And no, does not get direct sunlight. I really don't know what to do as i'm getting mixed answers. Should i give phosguard a try
Old 04-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

My bet is your tank get poor plant growth which leads to rotting plant material wich leads to brown algae.
Drop some ottos inthere
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
cowmilkcandy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
My bet is your tank get poor plant growth which leads to rotting plant material wich leads to brown algae.
Drop some ottos inthere
Scroll up and read my post.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Scroll up and read my post.
the important part of my post was to concentrate on healthy plant growth.
brown algae does not live in tanks where is no rotting plants
Old 04-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
cowmilkcandy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
the important part of my post was to concentrate on healthy plant growth.
brown algae does not live in tanks where is no rotting plants
I seriously DON'T have any rotting plants. All my plants are pretty hardy considering this is a low tech. Crypts, java fern, amazon swords, java moss, anubis, dwarf water lettuce floaters, and those plant bulbs that you buy from petsmart. Nothing is rotting. The only thing they have on them is brown algae.

I'm getting so many variety answers and i have no idea what to do. My LFS said it's because of my high phosphate (1.0 ppm) and they told me to try Phosguard. But someone on this post said 1.0 ppm is not considered high.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I seriously DON'T have any rotting plants. All my plants are pretty hardy considering this is a low tech. Crypts, java fern, amazon swords, java moss, anubis, dwarf water lettuce floaters, and those plant bulbs that you buy from petsmart. Nothing is rotting. The only thing they have on them is brown algae.

I'm getting so many variety answers and i have no idea what to do. My LFS said it's because of my high phosphate (1.0 ppm) and they told me to try Phosguard. But someone on this post said 1.0 ppm is not considered high.
Your plant's WILL soon be rotting.
Once algae cover's the leaf /leaves of plant, the plant cannot take nutrient's (which you aren't using) across the leaf.
No fertz = bad new's for plant's.
According to other post's,,you have two 54 watt T5 bulb's.
I would raise the light,or shade the light with layer or two of window screen.This will reduce demand for CO2/fertz.
Would at very least,use some Flourish comprehensive as per direction's once or twice a week.
Or,purchase dry fertilizer's KNO3,KH2PO4,CSM+B and add 1/2 tsp of each once a week a day after water change.
I use same dose once a week in 80 gal low tech.
Keep filter's cleaned regularly(monthly).Clean glass weekly,rub off brown algae if you can from plant leaves.
My two cent's.
roadmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

1) gently clean what you can without damaging plants
2) increase water current
3) add micro mix fertilizer. any brand.
4) test for NO3, add it if you are at zerro.
5) for better results add 'liquid carbon'/excel/glutaraldehyde/metricide/whatever ppl call it.
6) wait for magic to happen
Old 04-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #14
cowmilkcandy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Your plant's WILL soon be rotting.
Once algae cover's the leaf /leaves of plant, the plant cannot take nutrient's (which you aren't using) across the leaf.
No fertz = bad new's for plant's.
According to other post's,,you have two 54 watt T5 bulb's.
I would raise the light,or shade the light with layer or two of window screen.This will reduce demand for CO2/fertz.
Would at very least,use some Flourish comprehensive as per direction's once or twice a week.
Or,purchase dry fertilizer's KNO3,KH2PO4,CSM+B and add 1/2 tsp of each once a week a day after water change.
I use same dose once a week in 80 gal low tech.
Keep filter's cleaned regularly(monthly).Clean glass weekly,rub off brown algae if you can from plant leaves.
My two cent's.
I do have 2 glass pieces shading the the light. I used to dosed flourish comprehensive but I stopped because I thought that was the caused to the algae problem. The problem is I can't seem to find the roots to my problem. I can rub and clean everything as much as I can and the algae will just be back after a week or two.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #15
sharko
Algae Grower

Quote:
Since January. I don't think it's considered a new tank.
Only 3 months old? Totally a new tank.
sharko is offline   Reply With Quote