How do I kill this?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
notsogreenthumb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How do I kill this?

This film-like green algae is persistently growing on my driftwood, and now spreading onto the substrate.

I am sure that it is because this side of the tank, and that particular spot in especially gets direct sunlight for a portion of the day due to proximity to window. The windows have white blinds that don't block enough sun, wondering if anyones come up with creative strategies to deal with that? If I can't change the window treatments is there anything I can do to spot treat this maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Algae_4-14.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	312785  

notsogreenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

http://www.guitarfish.org/algae
I have used the last listed cure for this sucesfully. However you do need to find out which of the causes apply and fix that if you don't want it to come back.
BGA
Can't tell much from the picture about what may be the cause. Need full tank shot.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
greaser84
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Looks like BGA its a cyanobacteria. What are your water parameters? What kind of light do you have? Do you dose ferts and co2? The extra sunlight is the least of your worries at this point. But you should block it out anyways, a dark colored sheet will work. You need to treat the whole tank, spot treatment will not get rid of it, its floating the tank. Clean the tank the best you can, then do a black out for 3 to 5 days. If that doesn't work then you'll probably have to treat with Maracyn or something similar (research it first so you know what your getting into). BGA can be a nightmare.

Ways to prevent it:
keep excess light out
clean/ water changes regularly
make sure the tank doesn't have dead spots
don't over feed
greaser84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
notsogreenthumb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have 2x 18W T5 HO as well as 2x 18w T5 SO above the tank which I run about 6 hours a day (ever since I moved, my programmable power strip timer seems to not work, and I can't figure the damn thing out now so it's not an exact # of hours per day) I have a fluval pressurized CO2 (88g disposables) and I use flourish root tabs. I also dose with flourish comprehensive a few times a week.

I do partial water changes about twice a week with a gravel vac. I have a pretty big airstone in the back right hand corner of the tank and a HOB filter on the left, so I dont think there is much of a dead zone.

I attached some more pictures, as you can see the only BGA (if that's what it is),and some BBA that's persistent is on the left hand side of the tank. The right hand side (no direct sunlight during the day, large airstone) is almost entirely algae free.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	312873  

Name:	image_2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	312881  

Name:	image_1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	312889  

Name:	image_4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	312905  

notsogreenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Just use regular Maracyn (not Maracyn 2). About $15 for 8 packet box at PetSmart. Use as per directions: 1 packet per 10g, applied twice, a day apart.

Do increase your surface agitation a bit during the treatment.

If it comes back, then you have too much organic waste - vacuum the substrate more.

v3
Old 04-29-2014, 02:35 AM   #6
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I had a case of BGA as well. I added a powerhead to get some water movement to that area. Not cleaning your filters regularly seemed to cause it too. Maybe the lack of GPH was the cause I'm not sure. I've heard last resort using medications to wipe it out, but make sure you don't have sensitive fish.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote