Ecco or Classic
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-20-2004, 01:26 AM   #1
TeeItUp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Before my reef tanks I always used Eheim Classics on my Cichlid tanks. That was years ago however and that was my only choice. Don't know anyone with a Ecco to compare with but I do know about the classic.

This will be on a 55 plant tank.
TeeItUp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2004, 02:02 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Hey Tee!

If you are considering an Eheim, you might want to look at the ProII line for your 55G. A 2028 would be good!

Mike
Old 03-20-2004, 03:36 AM   #3
Saxman
Algae Grower

I have never owned a Classic, but I have 2 Ecco's and I could not be happier. They are easy, quiet and never miss a beat. Easy to clean, use and prime.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
batman
Algae Grower

i've never owned a classic but have 2 eccos. i've read they are louder than classics. Eheim told me if i put a spray bar on the ecco, i will ruin the motor (i did anyway). I like my eccos better than my xp3 (although the xp3 is nice if youy primary is to save money), but i'm confident the ecco doesn't compare to the pro or pro2 line. I think it's a matter of budget ? If budget isn't an issue get the biggest pro you can in the thermal version.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
TeeItUp
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks folks. The Pro's do look awesome but being this tank will be put together from scratch the cost of the Pro is just much with all the other purchases.

Can I trust Eheims recommendations for my 55 gallon tank size or go larger? The Ecco 2233 is rated for 60 gallon or the 2235 for 80 gallons. Normally I would go with the 2235 but it is my understanding plants don't like to much water current.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:10 PM   #6
batman
Algae Grower

i don't see much flow difference between my eccos, mostly media capacity difference (2 baskets vs 3). The more baskets the better...
Old 03-20-2004, 08:05 PM   #7
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

I have both, the Classic is I don't know how old, bought used in a box of fish junk at a garage sale. I also have 2 Eccos, bought used with used fish tanks. I also have Pro and Pro2. Only Pro2 was bought new.

Classic; good flow rate, even the old one with no basket is pretty easy to clean and prime. Silent. Frequently lasts for 10 to 30 years with care.

Ecco; much less flow rate, I can see why it has no spray bar. Creates more of a surface disturbance than I'd like in a planted tank for that reason. Got to be careful when disconnecting for cleaning, must close valves in correct order, then turn off power, in order to not screw up the lid opening mechanism. I run them with substrat media plus pads, not just the pads as sold. A lot more parts than the Classic, more stuff to break or lose. One of the ones I have is missing a seal between baskets and the gear for lid opening was not working well (OK now with correct instructions being followed) for a while I had to use a screw driver to get it opened.

Pro 2; great flow rate, even more parts to keep track of. Thermofilter cords make it harder to clean filter, can't just unplug and carry to the sink.

Summary; if I were getting another filter (and I may replace the Fluval 303 before long) I'd get a Classic for the best value for the money.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2004, 08:51 PM   #8
batman
Algae Grower

hey anonapersona, i need to buy another larger cannister and love the sound of a classic. I don't understand how you clean the media when there are no baskets ? Do you have to DIG everything out by hand ? Is it that much of a pain compared to the pro/pro2 ?
Old 03-20-2004, 09:17 PM   #9
TeeItUp
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks everyone for taking time and sharing your comments. anonapersona post really sums up my feelings right now as I think I will stay with the Classic. The Ecco and the new designs just have too many parts. My old classic was so durable and quite. Add a few shut off valves and it becomes a lot easier to do maintenance. Thanks again
Old 03-21-2004, 04:18 AM   #10
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman
hey anonapersona, i need to buy another larger cannister and love the sound of a classic. I don't understand how you clean the media when there are no baskets ? Do you have to DIG everything out by hand ? Is it that much of a pain compared to the pro/pro2 ?
My Classic has no basket at all, an older variety. I take the whole canister to the sink, toss the top white padding, pour the substrat into a bowl while I hold back the stiff blue pad below that with my finger. Then I pour the noodles into another bowl. The blue pad is firm enough that the two media are kept separated.

I rinse both types of media in tank water or sometimes in tap water if it is really dirty after pulling up plants or something. I rinse the blue pad in tank water each time, figuring that is enough to preserve biobugs. Anyhow this is one of two filters and I don't clean tubings at the same time. I don't worry much about the biobugs in a planted tank.

Using a bowl gives me a chance to pick out the MTS that are in the media. When I clean the filters that have baskets I just have to hope the MTS fall through the baskets.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.