eco-complete raising ph?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 03-20-2004, 01:10 AM   #1
kindbud
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

hello all. i have 2 tanks (10g and 29g)

i used di water for both.
both contain similar plants that i've been steadily dosing with flourish excel for about a week now.

tap water is 6.8 ph according to aquarium pharmaceuticals test.

the 10g has a mixture of red flourite and pet store bought gravel, and a piece of well boiled driftwood. it has a ph of 7.

the 29g contains 3 bags of eco-complete including the packing water from all 3 bags. it is showing me a ph of 7.6.

is eco-complete known to do this? i searched the forums here and found one post that sorta casually mentions this, but in no detail. is it supposed to raise the ph this much or could it be something else? both tanks have been set up for less than a week. some of the plants have been in there less than a day.

my plan was to get some plants that would grow in my medium wpg lighting situation and have some schools of tetras with cories. does this 7.6 ph in the 29g tank preclude any chance of cardinals and neons which the charts say require a ph of 5-6? i realize that the fish could probably go higher on the ph meter, but i want them to be happy.

i read the interview with the carib sea rep that was posted somewhere on this forum. he said the liquid in eco complete will keep a floor on ph. but does anyone know what he's referring to? maybe changing water over time will eliminate whatever it is that is raising my ph so high. if it's actually the substrate, then i guess i will have to modify my water somehow. just when i thought my nyc soft, slightly acidic tap water would be perfect for tetras.
kindbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2004, 03:47 AM   #2
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Ace

the pH of the 29 gallon might be swinging around since the tank is still new and cycling. what is the KH in the 29 gallon?

80 g, Eheim Pro II w Hagen Surface Skimmer, TetraTec IN-1000, JBL Aquabasis and Sand subtrate,
1st 40w Lighting: 40W Marine Glo
2nd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Power Glo
3rd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Aqua Glo
Whole set of Azoo fertilizers
3.8 kg Pressurized co2 tank
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Eco-complete shouldn't increase the pH unless you mistakenly bought eco-complete cichlid substrate.

How big is the driftwood in the 10gl? Usually it takes a while for driftwood to lower the ph unless it's a huge piece. I had one huge piece in my 55 and drop the pH about 0.3-0.4 in a week.

Why do you use DI water? what's the KH both tap and di water?

Don't give up on the neons and cardinals yet. I only use RO/Di water for my discus tanks. I use tap water in my planted/neons tank. My tap pH is 7.8, after driftwood close to 7.4. KH 6.7. AFter CO2 injection, pH is 6.8-6.9. All the neons are healthy.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Ace

same thing goes to ADA sand... there are amazonian,malayan and african types...

80 g, Eheim Pro II w Hagen Surface Skimmer, TetraTec IN-1000, JBL Aquabasis and Sand subtrate,
Old 03-20-2004, 06:32 PM   #5
kindbud
Algae Grower

thanks for the replies.

i definitely did not get eco complete cichlid formula. so that isn't it.

the gh and kh of my tap water, tested pretty much right out of the tap is under 1 degree each. the first drop in my aqu. pharm. test kit was enough to get to the endpoint. however gh of water in 29g and eco-complete with a few plants receiving excel is now 1 drop (degree) and the kh is 4 drops (degrees)

the 10g containing flourite/gravel with a few potted plants still has a gh and kh of 1 drop (degree). the plants in here have been receiving excel as well. the driftwood in the 10g is about 10 inches long.

thanks for any ideas.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:57 AM   #6
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

inject some co2 into the tank and increase the kH by baking soda or crushed corals

Old 03-26-2004, 08:22 PM   #7
kindbud
Algae Grower

tried a water change on the 29g that was registering >7.6 ph. got it down to 7.2 on that alone. changed 50% of the water with tap water and dechlorinator. i'm thinking the water that the eco complete comes packed in was contributing to high ph levels.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:44 PM   #8
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

yeah, with a Kh of only 1 degree, you can expect pH to swing easily and rapidly (this isn't a good thing)
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2004, 12:56 AM   #9
scoach1999
Algae Grower

The KH should run between 3 and 8. The higher number KH will stabilize the CO2 in the tank better than the lower number (it will allow the CO2 to disolve better into the water). pH should be between 6.4 and around 7.2. In the case of pH, the lower number will help keep CO2 in suspension better. Therefore, theoretically, a KH of around 8 with a pH around 6.4 to 6.8 will be much better for CO2 disolution in your water than a KH of 3 with a pH of 7.6.

Adding CO2 (as previously mentioned) to your 29g water will lower the pH.

And (as mentioned), a KH of only 3 should probably be buffered upward to help stabilize the pH (keep it from swinging up and down).

Hope this helps.

Earnest Steve
scoach1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.