Lets Talk Bucephalandra - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #16
cape
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Awesome, thanks for all the replies.

Duck5003, that is amazing growth for such a short period of time. How long have you had it in that specific tank for?
cape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape View Post
Awesome, thanks for all the replies.

Duck5003, that is amazing growth for such a short period of time. How long have you had it in that specific tank for?

That particular one, the first pic was taken about a week after i received the plant. It already had an unopened flower (like the current pics). I wish i knew what variation it was because that plant grows faster than some of my buces WITH CO2 and ferts, and its also one of my favorites Its got some crazy colors on it hard to capture with a camera.

Nice photos Eric! You know, your shots gave me another thought. It would be cool to have 2 pics for each variation. One like the pics you've already shot, close up and out of water (not grown out of water) and one of them in a scape or growing in the tank. Thoughts??

Last edited by Duck5003; 04-23-2014 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: add
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #18
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Amazing article with the most stunning pics ever taken of Buce

http://bucephalandraplants.blogspot....al-plants.html

Majority of the buce look the same to me. Just like those crystal shrimps that go A, AA, AAAAAAAAAA and so on. I never understood why you would pay $200 per shrimp vs $2 per shrimp for a visual difference only distinguishable by a magnification glass. Anyway, the only buce I like are the thin and long leaved ones. They are just the most different looking things.

I think I read somewhere, with a horrible memory, that there are only like 3 or 4 species that we know off and that majority of the names are just made up. When I do buy a buce, Im giving it a name.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #19
Ericj
Algae Grower

Yeah, the names being thrown around aren't at all official in any way. I think there are actually only 2 that have been officially classified. Sometimes the names tell you a little about what other plants they were related to, or that were found in the same area. I swear that some of the names are like the mothers name of the person who found them.

I've seen the photos from that blog, and they are beautiful, however, I think they are a bit misleading. The saturation and contrast are turned way up, which makes the plants look better than they are. I've had many of those species, growing super happily in several setups, and the reality does not look like the photos.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #20
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericj View Post
Yeah, the names being thrown around aren't at all official in any way. I think there are actually only 2 that have been officially classified. Sometimes the names tell you a little about what other plants they were related to, or that were found in the same area. I swear that some of the names are like the mothers name of the person who found them.

I've seen the photos from that blog, and they are beautiful, however, I think they are a bit misleading. The saturation and contrast are turned way up, which makes the plants look better than they are. I've had many of those species, growing super happily in several setups, and the reality does not look like the photos.
I see, makes sense looking at the pics again. Its nothing new either.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

Old 04-24-2014, 12:40 AM   #21
water-kitties
Master of shrimp whiskers

PTrader: (12/100%)

How would you attach a bruce? I know you might tie it with thread but has anyone tried super glue gel? I have used this with an anubias petite and moss with success.
water-kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #22
r45t4m4n
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I've stuck them in holes and used rubber bands.
r45t4m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:49 AM   #23
denske
Crypt addiction

PTrader: (10/100%)

Is it true that theres really only three species of bucephalandra? Do they all flower exactly the same? The one thing that bugs me is the inconsistent naming, its like everybody tries to put there own name on theirs.
denske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:07 AM   #24
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I use super glue.
1x Betta splendens
10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 AM   #25
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I have put the in the cracks of my dragon stone. Holes in my cholla wood. I let the leaves that fall off in shipping float the top of the tank and it grew a root

Subtletanks91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #26
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denske View Post
Is it true that theres really only three species of bucephalandra? Do they all flower exactly the same? The one thing that bugs me is the inconsistent naming, its like everybody tries to put there own name on theirs.

Its only inconsistent because they haven't been classified. From the leaf textures, shapes, and colors that I have in my tank (around 20+ types) it would seem that there are more than 3 species. There are 3 known classified ones, yes. But I don't think that is to say that there aren't many more out there. The whole getting classified by the scientific community takes time, so I'm not gonna bank on that for a while. Until then, I will go by the common names. The best thing we as hobbyists could do is to not continually make up our own names... as previously mentioned... Even if some of the names are wacky already, just use those and keep those circulating, it would cause much less confusion. That way if I have Fake Catherine, I know that I have fake catherine. I know there is no official list, but I personally just go by the importer's trade names that they sell them as. If you look at the more common names, like the ones in Vasteq's portfolio, it helps too. Just my two cents...

Also in response to the comments about Vasteq's photos, his contrast is definitely turned up, however, I have many buces that display colors just as vibrant as his photos. Very rich blues, and reds. I'm glad buces are starting to get more popular here at TPT, one step further to getting them actually classified!

Joshua
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericj View Post

A quick overview:

All Bucephalandra are rhizome plants, and should be planted either with roots into substrate without covering the rhizome, or attached to wood or rock. The roots will attach very firmly to either.

CO2: Buce requires a good source of CO2. Injected CO2 gas is ideal, but alternate sources such as excel does also work. I've grown buce in a tank using nothing but excel, but growth was significantly slower, with smaller leaves, and almost no new growing points to form new plants.

Splitting: Buce can be split and propogated much like Anubias. Rhizomes can be cut, and new plants can form at any point along a rhizome. Once new plants start to generate their own roots, you can cut them from the rhizome to grow on it's own.

Acclimating: Buce does not like changing conditions. It will often lose a good number of leaves when being placed into a new aquarium. A tank with good levels of CO2 definitely helps prevent too much loss.

Buce Addicts wanted!
so i wanted comment on these things as my experience would disagree with them.

i've understood that buce is most similar to growing anubias, but the difference that i've seen is that is more like a stem plant because it doesn't have a rhizome. one of my healthiest (and oldest) is just stuck straight in the substrate. when i look at them i don't see a rhizome like the anubias has.

CO2:As far as CO2 is concerned, it def does not require it to do well. my tank has no CO2, it is high O2, and did not get dosed excel. two water changes ago i started adding a little excel with the clean water, but there is no other excel dosing and the growth hasn't changed.

Splitting: so I can just cut the plant at any point and stick it back in the substrate just like any other stem or anubias?

any who those are just my thoughts and experiences.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #28
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post

... I'm glad buces are starting to get more popular here at TPT, one step further to getting them actually classified!

Joshua

Im surprised how long its taking to circulate into the hobby. If I remember correctly, Ive seen forum posts from 2006 when I google searched the plant a few months ago. I find it cool that we have anabuis nana and now buce.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #29
Ericj
Algae Grower

I adjusted the CO2 entry in the first post due to the feedback. Thanks!!

I think it's actually the fact there is a ton of different "types" that is keeping it from getting too prevalent. There is no one type getting a ton of attention and being grown by tons of people.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #30
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Also Eric, there are some Buces, that I have, one being Buce Bukit Betung, that does not produce side babies like other buces or anubias, I've actually had it for a year and it grow very much like a palm tree, the base of the "tree" gets longer and longer like a trunk, and it only produces leaves at the top of the "trunk" stem. It actually is a pretty cool plant lol. But just thought I'd throw in that some buce species do not make baby plants the normal way, I'm still looking for how to reproduce this one, any ideas?
Joshua
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote