My 20G High
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-17-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
BobbyDrake
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok, so here it is after I inflicted genocide on my fish. I tore it all apart and put it back together again. In the back on the left is my Hygro forest (green and sunset). I wanted to have a place for my guppie fry to hide. These things are growing like weeds. In front of that is a rock Ifound this fall with two small java ferns tied down hopefully to attach, and in front of that are my 3 dwarf sags that I got a good deal on.

Dead center are my two amazon swords, you can only see one really. Behind that is my anarachis (I don't really like it where it is). In the very fron is my mini piece of drift wood with a java fern and java moss(not pictured - new addition today) growing on it. Directly to the right of that is my clump of micro swords, these dont' seem to be doing to hot. To the right of that is my mini amason swort plantlet that I pulled off of my big one in the fron adn what is left of my wysteria. Behind them is my teardrop rotala and a bunch of corksrew and contortion vals.

Specs:
20G high
gravel substrate with root tabs
PH: 7.6 (too high)
KH: 5
Nitrates 10-12
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphates: I don't have a clue, I am waitign for my kit.
Filter: Penguin 125 wiht biowheel and AC removed
DIY CO2 with a 3 liter bottle, bubble counter and Hagen ladder
I am still trying to get my mixture right for my CO2 so that I can get my levels up.
55W AHSupply retrofit kit for lightting giving me 2.75 WPG

Any comments are greatly appreciated, I could use some ideas.
BobbyDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004, 08:46 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

hah! Colored gravel! And I like it! It's definitely unique, and it still looks good. The greens contrast nicely. If you're having trouble with the lilaeopsis microswords, have you considered trying tenellus instead?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
BobbyDrake
Algae Grower

Yeh I know about thh gravel, but that is the stuff that came free with my tank when I bought it in september. I didn't know anything about a planted tank then.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

It really doesn't look bad at all. Some Heteromorpha Rasboras would look nice against it, hehehe!
Old 03-18-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
nornicle
Planted Member

Send a message via ICQ to nornicle

for once i didn't puke when I saw the coloured gravel!!!

It actually looks quite decent.
nornicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:07 PM   #6
BobbyDrake
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nornicle
I will take that as a compliment.

I would like something darker or more natural looking, but I am broke, and I really do not feel like doing a complete teardown to replace teh gravel.

Most of my fish died, so my tank is kinda empty right now. I was thinking it woudl be a good time to change teh substrate, after takign all the plants out and rinsing then off and cleaning the filter, I needed to leave the gravel in there for there still to be some good microbes in the tank for my one surving fish.

anybody have any suggestion about moving my stuff around? Right now my hygo forrest is right untder the outlet for my HOB filter, and I think that the current is too much for it.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:08 PM   #7
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDrake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nornicle
anybody have any suggestion about moving my stuff around? Right now my hygo forrest is right untder the outlet for my HOB filter, and I think that the current is too much for it.

My humble thoughts:

I would stagger your swords, so you can see them both. I wouldn't separate them, as this might make the tank look too symterical, but it would be nice to see them both. I'd also move tha piece of wood off-center so that it does not hide the base of the sword. Both of those pieces of scenery (the sword and wood) are highlights of your tank, so I wouldn't want one to hide the other.

I look forward to seeing how this tank develops. It's a credit to the designer is he/she can build a beautiful tank while on a tight budget.

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 04:36 PM   #8
BobbyDrake
Algae Grower

My anarachis and vals are dying. I guess that they didn't survive the transfer in and out of water a couple times while I was cleaning out the tank after "the incident." I guess that i will toss them later tonight, and maybe pick up another rotala or two. I really like them. The new growth is coming in almost bright red.

I think thsi is bcause I have finally started dosing nutrients. The micros and iron seem to really be helping with the color. My sunset hygo is hot pink. I will try and put up some pictures later.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDrake
My anarachis and vals are dying. I guess that i will toss them later tonight.
I'd hold off on tossing those vals, Bobby. Sometimes the present leaves can't take the transfer, but you may get new growth once the tank has settled in again.

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 04:54 PM   #10
katymay
Algae Grower

I think it looks really nice! And I too enjoy the colored gravel, you really don't see that in planted tanks anymore.
If I had one aquascaping suggestion it would be this: Everything is sort of the same height and it's in the middle ground area. You want to create the impression of dimension. Give the eye a "place to go" as you're looking at the tank. Some people will create sort of mountains in the middle. But if you're not using rock, I prefer the sort of "forest clearing" look. So, you walk into the forest. there are tall trees to your left and right, and then there in the middle is a clearing, surrounded by trees. By using small plants in the front, dritwood and a single plant off center in the middle, and tall plants surrounding it--the eye naturally travels back. Decide on a focal point. If it's that nice sword, then give the sword a little breathing room. I am currently trying to take this advice. It was given to me by my Mom who has the most beautiful flower gardens (above water!) in the world.
Fluval 403 Cannister filter with carbon removed
2 2-Liter DIY CO2 with 3 attached diffusion bells
Old 03-19-2004, 01:01 AM   #11
Tonyd
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice tank, the sword looks great. My vals aren't doing well either. Did you decide to toss yours or are you going to give them a while?

Tony
Tonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:29 AM   #12
BobbyDrake
Algae Grower

I tossed teh anarachis, but I am giving the vals a chance. My neew guppies are eatign all the dead val leaves.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:47 AM   #13
Capt.
Planted Member

Vals and swords are heavy root feeders so you should consider gravel fertilizer tabs. If you're planning on changing the substrate I would wait until after then add the tabs. You can use Jobes for lush ferns, which are really cheap at wal-mart.

What's the grassy plant in the front right? I really like the swords and sunset hygro.
Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:45 PM   #14
BobbyDrake
Algae Grower

In the right front I have my microswords directly to the right of the large amazon sword. to the right of that is a very small amazon sword, and directly to th right of that is what I have left of my wisteria (not much left).