Any Ichtyologists here? Dwarf Gouramis fighting, SAE chasing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-17-2004, 01:30 AM   #1
Aquaman
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I thought I would get only peaceful fish for my 20H planted. Some Cherry barbs, Harlequin Rasboras, 2 SAE's, 2 Dwarf Gouramis. So far I have 1 dead Cherry barb, one dead Rasbora and the Gourami is chasing the other one and hitting it pretty hard. One of the SAEs is chasing the other fish around the tank. WTH is going on???
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004, 01:36 AM   #2
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman
I thought I would get only peaceful fish for my 20H planted. Some Cherry barbs, Harlequin Rasboras, 2 SAE's, 2 Dwarf Gouramis. So far I have 1 dead Cherry barb, one dead Rasbora and the Gourami is chasing the other one and hitting it pretty hard. One of the SAEs is chasing the other fish around the tank. WTH is going on???
Nothing out of the ordinary... You can pretty much only keep one dwarf gourami in any tank. Heck I had the same problem in my 120gallon tank.They always fight if they are both males. And it is pretty common for SAE's to be shall we say grumpy as they get older...

Jason
Old 03-17-2004, 01:41 AM   #3
mario
Planted Member

Yep, same problem here when I started out. Dwarf gouramis are quite aggressive. My male didn't even tolerate females that were not conditioned to mate. Over the course of 6 months that guy killed 5 juvenile females.

SAE's seem to me a little like a bunch of rowdy punk teens. If you keep them in a larger group (I have 11) they just bicker with each other (lke Tiger Barbs). If you have just a few, then their energy will most likely be spent chasing other fish around. I saw a single SAE bully a couple of fully grown Giant Danios into submission. :shock:
Old 03-17-2004, 02:28 AM   #4
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm converting a suggestion into a personal golden rule: Never keep two SAEs together--one will eventuallly get bullied. Keep one alone or three or more. And I know you were only saying it tongue-in-cheek, but you don't want an ichthyologist's help in this case--you want a hobbyist's. Ichthyologists don't necessarily keep ornamental fish, and they certainly don't have the experience of mixing species the way us hobbyists do!
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:45 AM   #5
Slaigar
Planted Member

My SAE's chase each other around as well. I always see scales missing when they fade their colors.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:43 AM   #6
Aquaman
Planted Member

Thanks for the replies, im learning new things every day. Ok so now I have the two male Gouramis and the two SAEs, so what do i do, get one more Gourami and one more SAE? The SAE doesnt seem to even notice the other one he just chases the Gouramis and Cherry Barbs. I recently redid this tank and cut way back on plants, they are growing back in but rather slowly. Im hoping maybe thicker growth will end some of this business. I wanted this to be a really peaceful tank.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:46 AM   #7
Aquaman
Planted Member

2la, I was hoping that someone that new about these critters would give me some info. Im glad you did. What those fish really need is an Ichtypsychologist.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:12 AM   #8
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Same thing here... (well actualy my male gourami passed away on sunday after a month long disease)...at least the largest of his offspring are now about as large as a small female.

My 2 algae eaters chases each other a bit, but the large one made special effort to fight with my male gourami... ignoring all the other fish in the tank...

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:43 PM   #9
Firesideometer

Hello all,

First post and this seems like a good place to get some answers.
I recently bought 2 dwarf powder blue gourami's. The pet store owner said that dwarf's were not as aggressive and that two males would not be a problem.

SO,, One week later and half the time they just stare each other down before butting or shoving each other. What can I do? anything? I have 35 gallon tank with 2 Gourami's, a guppy, 4 whiteclouds , 3 cherry barbs and 5 cory's.

It's seems all I can do is wait til one of the gourami's kill's the other one? That's the feeling I'm starting to get. Also, one of the bigger clouds, which I also thought were supposed to be peaceful, has been chasing the other clouds and the guppy around to the point where the guppy is now mad as hell at everyone and just sits ther, tail sagging, looking angry.

SOmeone please give me some advice, is there anytrhing I can do?
Firesideometer is offline   Reply With Quote