Propagation of anubias
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-17-2004, 12:45 AM   #1
Fosty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

I heard that the fastest way to propagate anubias nana was out of water. I was thinking of trying it but do know exactly how. Does anyone have experiecne doing this? What soil/gravel and other conditions would be best? Any info would help.

Thanks,
Fosty
Fosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004, 07:06 AM   #2
morpheus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The easiest way to propogate an anubia is to seperate the Rhizome and make as many plants as you can. They will grow in and you will have many more plants, keep doing that and you can have thousands of the little guys in no time. Use a very sharp blade like a scalpel.

IME anubias grow best emersed. Submerged though with CO2 and higher light they can and will take off as well. I personally prefer to grow them under lower light as then they get that nice green that they just don't have with high light.

This is the plastic plant of the aquarium trade and they grow no matter what.

Morpheus
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Morpheus, the A.nana in my tank hardly grows at all. It's green and healthy but I only see one new leaf after close to 2 months. Are they really slow growers? Does propagating/splitting them help to speed up the growth? Other plants thrive in my tank.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
Capt.
Planted Member

Anubias are really slow growers.
Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
aquaphish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Here is a picture of some Anubia Nana growing in a tank w/2.5 wpg.

I started with only 4 small plants and now this is what happened in just a few months

This is an older picture. They have grown even more since this was taken

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/download.php?id=637
Old 03-17-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
Fosty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

My tank has 2.5 wpg light and diy co2 (17 ppm) and my anubias grow pretty fast, the problem is one of my fish is chewing on the leaves at the same rate its growing. Thats why I want to try to grow it emersed. I searched online but couldn't find anything on growing anubias emersed. I dont really know whether to plant it in gravel like in my aquarium, on driftwood, or in regular soil. I just know that it has to be in a moist enviroment. Any more info would help a lot.

Thanks,
Fosty
Fosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:07 AM   #7
mario
Planted Member

If you want to grow it emersed, the best subtrate is rich potting soil. Wet it down and make sure the humidity is very high. Otherwise the leaves will dry out and rot away.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #8
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

When I started keeping anubius, many many moons ago, I found that if I kept up a dosing schedule of Fe once a week the plants would put up new leaves. If I let it go for a couple weeks and then dosed I'd see no growth then suddenly a new leaf on every plant. I concluded after trying this several times that a little iron in the water column stimulated the plants to grow. Later came the realization that I needed to add K to prevent pinholes in the leaves, but that's another story.

Anyhow, if you cut the 'growing' end off of an established plant, 3 leaves or so to keep that as a plant too, new branches sprout off the main stem. How this would work in emmersed culture I don't know as I have never had to try it out there. I do know I had an A. nana that tried to overtake a 30 gallon tank.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:04 PM   #9
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have 3 pieces of a.nana, each about 4-5" long, growing in one area of my tank. Tho they have really healthy roots along the length of the rhizomes, each section seems to leaf primarily from one end, with only a couple of leaves along the rest of the rhizome.

I would welcome thoughts of how you would manage these plants.

Would you suggest slicing off the relatively unproductive sections of the rhizome?
Leaving well-leafed and rooted sections of how long?
Would you keep the other sections - either to establish a thick bed of a.nana, or to get some growth to trade in to the LFS?
If propagating them for sale/trade, how long would you make each section of rhizome?
Need each section include leaves?

On another topic, while my a.nana is doing pretty well, my congensis and frazerii seem pretty static. They occasionally send up new leaves - maybe every month or 2. But root growth is VERY minimal - far less than with the nana. Any thoughts? I don't currently add iron. Ought I start? (There may be a small amount of Fe in TMG - I'm not sure. And I just finished a bottle of Flourish. I figured my next bottle would include iron.)

TIA
eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:41 PM   #10
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

I've had plants that end up with 3 or 4 inches of leafless rhizome, I just didn't notice the 'forward movement' growth of the plant in the jungles I keep. Left alone they would start growing daughter plants all along that bare stem.

In my experience you need to leave a few leafs on every section that you cut from your plant.

I think you might have answered your last question yourself.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:12 PM   #11
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

In my high light tank, I get a new leaf about every 2 weeks. I find that trimming old leaves accellerates leaf growth.
Gomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:15 PM   #12
pedietz
Planted Member

My Anubias in my 10 gallon tank had a 12 inch rhizome with 3 leaves at one end....

funny looking thing.

What happened was the rhizome grew vertically towards the light, and the huge leaves on top blocked the growth of new leaves anywhere else...

So I chopped it up. I'll let you know in 14 months how its doing :-)
pedietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:07 PM   #13
jread
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all the good info, guys

A. nana has to be one of my favorite plants of all!
Old 03-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #14
lmvt

I had a massive amount of A. nana covered with algae. I cut all leaves with any traces of algae. I end up with some rhizomes with no leaves and new plants emerged from several places.

Luis
lmvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:06 AM   #15
aquaphish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

IMO these plants just will not die no matter what happens to them!!! They remind me of the Energizer Bunny " The just keep growing and growing and growing!!!"