Filter Medium - Help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-16-2004, 07:56 PM   #1
PlantsthenFish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a penguin 175 on the back of my 20G. Its a new tank, three weeks old now and nitrites are still high with nitartes beginning to appear.....so I think the filter was a mistake. After reading more I have removed the bio-wheel. I am also concerned with the AC filter insert. What can I use in the penguin instead of their stock insert, or should i just leave it as is. Should I add any other medium, there is some space in the back for bio balls or peat moss or whatever. Help please. On the side, the water is kinda hazy.

Temp 78
55W PC 9350 GE bulb
Flourite Substrate
Penguin 175 Filter - Bio Wheel (since removed!)

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Having Nitrites after 3 weeks is still very normal for a new tank.

Only bad things happen quickly ;-)

I would just toss some sponges in there and leave it alone. Sounds like your on the way to finishing your cycle.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:03 PM   #3
PlantsthenFish
Algae Grower

I am quite new, and avidly reading through the threads in this forum:

Could you specify what a sponge is.....as a newbie, thats what I use to wash the dishes!!

How do you feel about the bio-wheel, I heard it leads to excess CO2 loss?
How do you feel about he AC in the insert?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

You can always take out the bio wheel after you're done cycling. It creates too much splashing thus wasting the CO2.

I have a penguin 175. You can't really put anything behind the cartridge. It gets clogged fast and soon the water will start outflowing from where the intake tube is.

If you don't want to use the AC, you can use a cutter to cut the plastic strainer behind the cartridge and take out all the AC.

Those penguin cartridges can be costly overtime. You can actually re used the old ones. Just tear the blue pad and replace it with other pad like Blue bonded filter pad that you can get at any LFS. Of course you have to cut and fit it.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:14 PM   #5
BobbyDrake
Algae Grower

I have been doing exactly what ninoboy said.

What do you have in your tank as far as plants right now? If you dont' have many, then leave your biowheel on, and teh carbon in your filter for now. Once the tank is completely cycled, the remove teh wheel and carbon. Reusing the inserts with the cheap bult floss is MUCH cheaper than buying the penguin filters, especially considering that once teh tank is established you dont need the carbon.
BobbyDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:49 AM   #6
sailher
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDrake
especially considering that once teh tank is established you dont need the carbon.
Can you define established?
sailher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 03:13 AM   #7
batman
Algae Grower

i tend to overkill fltration... I couldn't stand my penguin on my 20g. the inserts are worthless and there is no room for media, and the flow through any media you put in is poor(flow around the media and not thru due to the design).

My opinion: by an aquaclear, using foam and biomedia of some kind. Buy Bio-Spira or other live bacteria. Stay away from the bottled junk on the shelf that is supposed to kick-start your bio (it's all garbage). I waited 12 weeks (using every bottle of bacteria junk) for my bio to establish, I never got a bio established, then put in BioSpira and had bio in 48hrs !! I lost 12 weeks establishing a tank.

My opinion, if you will have fish, you need aquaclear sponges or ehfisubstrat or soemthing to hold a bio filter, and that penguin is not the vehicle to do it... I have several of both.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:50 PM   #8
PlantsthenFish
Algae Grower

Gotcha, good advice!! As for my plants.....I can't remember all the names. I'll get back to that. The main pkant are aboput 12 sunset hygro stems and they went a scorching red almost immediately under my GE 9275 Bulb!!