Any good DIY CO2 from ebay? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #16
EvilFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can I use solenoid (17$ on ebay) with soda+acid citric?
EvilFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I wouldn't. You can shut off pressurized CO2 because it is a liquid contained tank that can hold the pressure. DIY production doesn't stop and the pressure has to go somewhere...
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #18
EvilFish
Planted Member

How much CO2 do I need for 29g low light (almost medium 28PAR)?

10-20ppm is OK?

Can I use this device with yeast/sugar too? (just put the yeast/sugar to 1 bottle or in 2?)

Thanks

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-16-2014 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: No eBay links. Do not obfuscate them.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:51 AM   #19
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

The ideal concentration of CO2 to have is 30 ppm. You can probably get by with 10-20 ppm.

You could probably use that device with yeast/sugar too, though again, it's a $55 solution for something that should cost less than $5.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #20
EvilFish
Planted Member

Darkblade48

Its easy to overdose with DIY CO2?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:15 AM   #21
Jubs
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I am confused still how this system works.

It says to fill the bottle with about 400-600 mL of water and 200 grams of citric acid. How is this solution drawn into the sodium bicarbonate bottle? I am not sure, but it appears that the two bottles are connected by tubing through that blue block?

I still think it's over engineering a system. DIY CO2 with yeast and sugar was designed to be easy, and cheap (cost of sugar and yeast, so less than $5). This system looks to be about $55, so it is quite a step up.

Personally, I would rather save up the money and go for a good pressurized system, but...
I have this system and have been logging progress on my club's mailing list for Gary Lange, I have had it set up for about a month and it is very stable. I had to come up with my own recipe of the mix to make sure it lasted long enough, the recipe I found online wasn't enough to last more than a couple weeks for me (I think a lot of the reason was I used up a lot of the citric acid the first time setting it up).

How it works is the whole system is pressurized (when you set it up) and when the pressure drops (you won't notice the pressure drop) it causes the bottle of citric acid to syphon a couple or less ml's into the sodium bicarbonate solution which causes the pressure to equalize and the remaining citric acid solution syphons back into it's bottle.

I run this at 1 bubble per second 24/7 and have over 2 weeks on my current mix of solutions and have only used half or less of the citric acid solution up.

I run pressurized as well but for a diy this is by far the most stable I have found and have used several different yeast methods with great success over the years but this is honestly the best and most stable diy system I have used personally.

As stated above I would like to put a solenoid on it and it would really be the closest you could get to pressurized for ease of use and stability. This system would be great for people that don't have ready access to co2 refills but want a stable level of co2.

If you shop around on eBay you can find a plastic version that is $35 and has built in tool holders (for tweezers, scissors, ect) and the seller is from the states so you don't have to wait for airmail. I bought mine this way and had it in 2 days.

Here's a quick picture of the system on my 40 breeder tank I have been testing it out on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
I wouldn't. You can shut off pressurized CO2 because it is a liquid contained tank that can hold the pressure. DIY production doesn't stop and the pressure has to go somewhere...
This is true to a point, but the system will not build more pressure until the pressure has dropped within the system. There is also an adjustable safety valve that allows the system to bleed off the excess pressure once it reaches the point you have set on it.

This system is surprisingly pretty idiot proof if you use it as it is intended to be used.
Eheim Pimp #232 Nikon Pimp #69

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-16-2014 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: Back to back posts
Jubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:19 AM   #22
cape
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi Jubs, thank you for the great review. Just wondering is there noticeable fluctuation with this system and if you can share your own recipe would be great.
cape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:17 AM   #23
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilFish View Post
Darkblade48

Its easy to overdose with DIY CO2?
I'm not sure if this was meant as a question or a statement.

I have not overdosed with DIY CO2 before, when I was using it (for a couple of years). I then go fed up with the hassle of changing the mixture and just went full pressurized and never looked back.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:46 AM   #24
Jubs
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape View Post
Hi Jubs, thank you for the great review. Just wondering is there noticeable fluctuation with this system and if you can share your own recipe would be great.
You're welcome.

I have not experienced any fluctuations other than in the first 24 hours after set up. It is good to check the pressure 24 hours after setting it up, I did have my pressure drop a little bit in this period the second time I reset it.

As for my recipe so far so good but I haven't ran the full cycle on it yet, so take that into consideration as well. The only issue I am considering happening is some form of pressure change when the baking soda side gets almost full from the larger amount of citric acid mix and how or if it will affect the syphoning effect of the system being closer to the top of the bottle.

The recipe I am currently using is converted so anyone that doesn't have a scale can make it with simple measuring cups. This is roughly double the original I found (and used) on a forum via google searches.

Bottle A
1 3/4 cups citric acid powder
5 cups water

Bottle B
1 1/2 cups baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
2 cups water
Old 04-16-2014, 05:09 AM   #25
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Eh nevermind, think I answered my own question

Last edited by burr740; 04-16-2014 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: changed something
burr740 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #26
EvilFish
Planted Member

24$ for 5lb of citric acid is good price?
Do I need food grade cit. acid?

Baking soda 30$ for 15lb is OK too?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #27
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
You could probably use that device with yeast/sugar too, though again, it's a $55 solution for something that should cost less than $5.

This should be the main point you take away from this thread...unless you already purchased the device, your throwing money away that could be saved for a pressurized system. There is absolutely no reason to spend $55 on a DIY yeast production system. You can buy a LOT of sugar and yeast for that much money and use pop bottles which you can find for free, air line tubing which might be a couple dollars, and check valves also a couple dollars.

The drop checker on my 40B is light yellow using DIY yeast in 2 liter bottles. Granted I'm running 6 bottles setup in pairs with a check valve. I change 1 pair each week so they are running steady for 3 weeks. I just can't see the reason to spend the money on what is essentially a "holder" for the bottles.
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #28
EvilFish
Planted Member

I bought 2kg of Baking Soda in Walmart for 4$.
5lb acid citric on amazon.ca 24$. I don't know if there is a cheaper acid citric somewhere...

Total cost for charging - 2.58$. That's not expensive, it must provide me a stable CO2. In russian forums many use it with solenoid without any issues. But all cheap solenoids on ebay are for 220-240V...

I found one for 110V, it's Milwaukee Solenoid Valve. 48$
Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #29
cape
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
This should be the main point you take away from this thread...unless you already purchased the device, your throwing money away that could be saved for a pressurized system. There is absolutely no reason to spend $55 on a DIY yeast production system. You can buy a LOT of sugar and yeast for that much money and use pop bottles which you can find for free, air line tubing which might be a couple dollars, and check valves also a couple dollars.

The drop checker on my 40B is light yellow using DIY yeast in 2 liter bottles. Granted I'm running 6 bottles setup in pairs with a check valve. I change 1 pair each week so they are running steady for 3 weeks. I just can't see the reason to spend the money on what is essentially a "holder" for the bottles.
Yes but that is assuming they are equal. Some users, including poster above claims this system is a lot more stable than the standard yeast system.
cape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:49 AM   #30
Jubs
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape View Post
Yes but that is assuming they are equal. Some users, including poster above claims this system is a lot more stable than the standard yeast system.
They are no way near equal, other than most use 2 liter bottles and they both produce co2, when properly set up.

Trust me, I was very skeptical myself and only bought it to test it out, I had no plans on actually liking it. I run pressurized as well and there is no replacement for that, but this is as close as I have found. It is even more stable than the UP Aqua pressurized system, I use to run. I have not had any difference in pressure when the room temp has risen in the past couple weeks of warmer weather, I can't say that about the "cheap" (still more expensive than this system was) UP system or yeast.

Will I be buying more of these systems? No, not likely because I love the ease of pressurized but it is a great product for people not willing to take the plunge into pressurized and want more out of a DIY system.