Any good DIY CO2 from ebay?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
EvilFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool

Any good DIY CO2 from ebay?

Hi,

I need a good diy co2 with bubble counter (to not overdose). I found many on [Ebay Link Removed]

But how good they are? Any general advices?

Which one is better, yeast or soda based?

To infuse it, what is better? Glass disfuser, reactor or infuse to the HOB filter?

[Ebay Link Removed]

or (can I add bubble counter by miself?)

[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

Thanks
EvilFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Depending on your aquarium size, it might be difficult to overdose on DIY CO2; in general, it does not generate a lot of CO2.

DIY CO2 is cheap, but a hassle to maintain, and can be expensive (both time-wise and economically) in the long run.

Yeast with sugar is the most common setup. Using carbonated liquids would be much more difficult to control.

Regarding diffusion methods, a glass diffuser would work well, but not all work with DIY CO2 (DIY CO2 cannot always generate the pressure required to overcome the resistance).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Glass diffusers and DIY co2 don't work well, not enough pressure. DIY co2 is very inconsistent so counting bubbles doesn't work, you'll find that when the yeast mix gets warm the bubbles come out faster and slow down when the yeast mix gets colder. If you want to diffuse the bubbles put the tubing directly under a powerhead so they get sucked up, then chopped up and tossed across the tank. I did DIY co2 for a long time and got sick of using my coffee sugar! I will say that diy co2 makes some killer prison moonshine!
greaser84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:54 AM   #4
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

The fluval ceramic diffuser has worked well for me. It doesn't look as nice as a glass diffuser, but it is small, unobtrusive, and can be tucked out of the way.

I use 20 oz soda bottles for tanks around 5gal and 16oz or 12oz for tanks around a gallon.
Surface are effects off-gassing rate. It takes less than 10 minutes to rinse the bottle, add some warm water, sugar, and molasses (not totally necessary), shake it to dissolve everything, let the foam settle for a couple minutes, add yeast, and hook it back up.
I get two and a half to three weeks in the winter, about two, or just under, in the summer. If you do bi-weekly water changes, swap it then and call it good.

People over think it and over complicate it. Keep it quick and simple or go with a pressurized system.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
EvilFish
Planted Member

Seems that citric acid and baking soda creates much more pressure than yeast based co2.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilFish View Post
Seems that citric acid and baking soda creates much more pressure than yeast based co2.
Yes, this is definitely the case, but you will need some method to store all that pressure. Do you trust a pop bottle to do that?

The problem with the acid/base reaction is that it will produce all the CO2, "all at once" (not technically true, but relative to yeast).

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
EvilFish
Planted Member

Quote:
Do you trust a pop bottle to do that?
They have over-pressure valve (ebay items 171183500365 or 151168533645).
First one looks much better.

Quote:
The problem with the acid/base reaction is that it will produce all the CO2
How long I can use it? I heard that up to 8 weeks.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilFish View Post
They have over-pressure valve (ebay items 171183500365 or 151168533645).
First one looks much better.

How long I can use it? I heard that up to 8 weeks.

Thanks
I still think it is over engineering what should be a simple system. I very much doubt that an acid/base reaction will last more than a day, much less 8 weeks.

Mix some vinegar and some baking soda together. See if it continues to fizz after a few hours (much less the 8 weeks you claimed).

Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
EvilFish
Planted Member

Quote:
system. I very much doubt that an acid/base reaction will last more than a day
Quick research on google and found this:
-Yes this system works but u put citric acid in one and bicarb in other bottle. Lasts about a month

-It has definite potential. Now I have it sorted it's puttering along at about 40 bubbles/min in my 30L without needing fiddling with.

-Early days but it seems more controllable and consistent than the traditional yeast system.

I ordered one with bubble counter
Old 04-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm running DIY yeast on my 40breeder and get a ton of pearling. It's no more hassle than learning/experimenting about any other aspect of this hobby. Key things making sure you have no leaks, regular alternating solution changes so the fluctuation is less, and HOW you diffuse it. Diffusion is a big deal and it needs to be efficient in order to get any real benefit.

That said, pressurized offers stability in the amount you are delivering which is also a big deal.
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
charlie 1
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I still think it is over engineering what should be a simple system. I very much doubt that an acid/base reaction will last more than a day, much less 8 weeks.

Mix some vinegar and some baking soda together. See if it continues to fizz after a few hours (much less the 8 weeks you claimed).
The way it works , is the citric acid is not drawn into the bottle with the base until the pressure drops in the base bottle, via negative pressure a bit of acid is drawn into the base bottle.
There is also a control valve to regulate your delivery rate.
I saw a demo on it twice & I`m convinced it trumps the sugar & yeast system, also as mentioned there is a safety pressure valve.
Regards
charlie 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
EvilFish
Planted Member

But what is better?
1. Acid citric and soda
2. Vinegar and soda
3. Yeast and sugar
4. Jello and Yeast

Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #13
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
I'm running DIY yeast on my 40breeder and get a ton of pearling. It's no more hassle than learning/experimenting about any other aspect of this hobby. Key things making sure you have no leaks, regular alternating solution changes so the fluctuation is less, and HOW you diffuse it. Diffusion is a big deal and it needs to be efficient in order to get any real benefit.

That said, pressurized offers stability in the amount you are delivering which is also a big deal.
How do you diffuse it? I always just put the tube under a power head. All the other ways I tried failed.
greaser84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 AM   #14
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 1 View Post
The way it works , is the citric acid is not drawn into the bottle with the base until the pressure drops in the base bottle, via negative pressure a bit of acid is drawn into the base bottle.
There is also a control valve to regulate your delivery rate.
I saw a demo on it twice & I`m convinced it trumps the sugar & yeast system, also as mentioned there is a safety pressure valve.
Regards
I am confused still how this system works.

It says to fill the bottle with about 400-600 mL of water and 200 grams of citric acid. How is this solution drawn into the sodium bicarbonate bottle? I am not sure, but it appears that the two bottles are connected by tubing through that blue block?

I still think it's over engineering a system. DIY CO2 with yeast and sugar was designed to be easy, and cheap (cost of sugar and yeast, so less than $5). This system looks to be about $55, so it is quite a step up.

Personally, I would rather save up the money and go for a good pressurized system, but...

Old 04-15-2014, 01:43 AM   #15
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Any good DIY CO2 from ebay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
How do you diffuse it? I always just put the tube under a power head. All the other ways I tried failed.

The best way I've found for my setup is using the ista max mix inline with my canister filter.

Also I agree with dark blade. To the OP, don't waste your money on eBay junk if your going this route. All you need are some 2 liter bottles, good air line tubing, sugar, yeast, and water.
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote