pear gourami and shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

pear gourami and shrimp

i was wondering if its ok to put pearl gourami in tank where there is a bamboo shrimp, amano shrimps and red cherries? red cherries are there to supplement fish diet with fresh brine shrimp(im sorry if it sounds cruel).
But i do care for my gorgeous bamboo shrimp, and a bit about amanos also.
The tanks is 29gal, aqadvisor says stocking level with 5 pearl gouramis would be at 65% wich is ok i think.
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One thing; brine shrimp and baby cherry shrimp are two totally different things. or one, brine shrimp aren't the most nutritious thing in the world.
I think your pearl would eat all the cherries, including the adults. Eventually you'd run out of cherries.
Betta132 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
Careful
Algae Grower

They will probably eat all the cherries. I never saw mine eating any ghost shrimp but there's only one shrimp left in the tank from 20+ so who knows. 5 pearls in a 29g is probably too many though, especially if you have two males - my big male beat up on the littler male a fair bit when they were in a 20 long (same footprint) and they were both young fish and not thinking about spawning. I would highly recommend a group of pearl gouramis because they are gorgeous, insteresting social fish and enjoy each other's company, but maybe try one male and 2-3 females instead of 5. They get big and 5 would be crowded. Mine are now in a 40b but I'm still expecting to have to get rid of one of the males once the 'king' starts thinking about spawning.
Careful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Grah the great
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Agree with above...fish, other than ottos and perhaps other extremely specialized algae eaters, WILL eat shrimp or at least shrimplets and cannot be trusted with most shrimp. Bamboo shrimp might be an exception due to their large size, however.
Grah the great is offline   Reply With Quote