Chopping and pasting Java Moss on wood?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
chan011
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Chopping and pasting Java Moss on wood?

has anyone tried chopping and pasting java moss to driftwood or stone like Amano does in this video at the 5:15 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whvz...B2F4B594688B50
chan011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I did not check the video but using super glue to attach java to rocks is my preferred way.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

It works, better on wood or porous rock like lava rock, but it works. In the vid I don't know how he keeps the moss on the rocks when he fills it right away. Usually you have to dry start moss like that so it has time to attach before filling. Otherwise, it just floats away.

When I've done this with fissidens on wood, it takes about 2-3 weeks to attach. Way longer on rock.

Super glue is a good way to attach to rock, especially if you don't want to wait forever for the moss to attach. I find it is a bit of a crap shoot though. My experience has been that the moss goes through a dead phase wherever the glue touchs it. Then it miraculously re-appears when you've decided to do something else. I've not tried to glue chopped moss though.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

I use very thin and clear fishing line with excellent result, and you don't see the string.
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

You could always use a green shower pouf and stretch it over the moss and rock, and tie it off on the underside.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
chan011
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER View Post
I use very thin and clear fishing line with excellent result, and you don't see the string.
fishing line and chopped moss?

if i use fishing line, i would think just stretching the moss in its natural form would be the same. didnt know if there was any benefit to the chopping method.
chan011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chan011 View Post
fishing line and chopped moss?

if i use fishing line, i would think just stretching the moss in its natural form would be the same. didnt know if there was any benefit to the chopping method.
You can tie the string in tight knit, no need to stretch out the moss and the moss will shoot new growth outside of the string. I've tried glue before but I couldn't get the loose moss to attach and got floaters instead. You can also use veil and the new growth will cover the veil in time.
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I guess it depends on the look you're going for. I find the chopped method looks more natural if you are using moss that stays small like fissidens does. If you are using larger moss like Java and you won't be trimming it very short then it probably doesn't really matter, and tieing or glueing is quicker.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
java moss