Thinking of going pressuraized c02 in a new 30 gallon cube..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-16-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
sherry
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

first, I need one with a tiny footprint.. there is very little hideaway space near this tank

also I need to know that they are super safe. I have a 2 year old and another baby on the way.

the other option, mentioned in my other thread would be the nutrafin ladder and an airbubble at night to help the fish breath

too bad those carbo blocks don't work. it is the kind plumbing that disappears entirely.. the tank has a built in filter.

i'll be running 9 watts of light.. thanks to those who sent me to hello light!!
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
sherry
Algae Grower

make that 96 watts of light.

sorry for the typol
Old 03-16-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

they are very safe. If you can, hide it in the stand, and put one of those child locks on the cabinet door. You won't necessarily need to run an air stone at night with pressurized and you definitely won't need to use one with the nutrafin ladder. That nutrafin system is not gonna do too much for a tank that size anyway.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

You have to go with the CO2 if you put 96 watts over a 30, otherwise you will never get the tank to balance. The plants will strip out the available CO2 and 'starve' while algae flourishes.

As I mentioned in your other thread, I use the Hagen ladder on my tens, 24/7 no problems, no airstones either. Make sure your water has the right buffering capacity, and dial back on the CO2 to just release enough. Over night some will build up but the plants will take care of that when the lights go on. I put about 40 bubbles a minute into my 30 gallon tanks, the tens get 25-30 bpm.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:12 PM   #5
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Shiz-nit! 96W? Forget everything I said in that other thread. I got no idea how to drive that type of Ferrari.

Don't mind me putzing along over here in the right lane...
eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:46 PM   #6
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

eds,

I read your other post and I'm glad I looked here before pointing out that she was using almost twice the light you are. My 30's each have a 96 watt bulb over them, and I HAD to start giving them CO2. When I was 'putzing long' as you put it, I didn't need it and let me say that there is nothing wrong with 'putzing along' either. You can have a really beautiful set up doing so.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:58 PM   #7
sherry
Algae Grower

i ordered the 96 watts after talking to folks over here who insisted on 3 or a little more watts per gallon.

indeed it was a planted tank person who found me my light, an 18 inch wide quad from Hello Lights

so guys. now that you know I'm a novice in a ferrari, what do you suggest? something easy to work, reasonably priced !!

(the stand is open book shelf with no cabinate... but I can put a c02 tank next to the set up on fridge (the whole thing is in my kitchen since I'm in a tiny NYC apt.