Planted 2 gallon Jar! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #16
TurtleShark
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlguy View Post
Very nice nano tank jar.

How much do these jars/bowls usually cost in Walmart/Michaels? I see they are generally more expensive than fish tanks in Petsmart and Petco.
This one was about $10 at WalMart. It was a good price, I thought.

Do I hear any objections on the scarlet badis in this tank?
55 gallon -- 2 bala sharks, 8 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark // 29 gallon -- 1 four inch painted turtle // 10 gallon -- many small ramshorn snails, 2 plants, 5 serpae tetra, 2 guppies, 2 nerite snails // 10 gallon -- 6 mollies // 10 gallon -- nothing // 2 gal Jar -- 2 endlers, plants, snails // Recent losses / gains -- 2 male endlers
TurtleShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #17
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

I think several Endlers and snails would be more fun. Do check out Deep Blue Micro Solar Flare 3w LED stick-on light: I personally like them a lot.

Good looking jar, btw

v3
Old 04-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #18
nomad1721
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Do check out Deep Blue Micro Solar Flare 3w LED stick-on light: I personally like them a lot.
I second this. I have one on mu Cubus and it is absolutely great.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:24 AM   #19
perlguy
Algae Grower

Thanks Lauraleellbp. I'll check them out.
perlguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #20
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Yeah I think endlers would look nice in this tank as well. I would still love to have the barks, though. I want to give one of the lesser known fish a try. Maybe I would work something out with both species.
55 gallon -- 2 bala sharks, 8 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark // 29 gallon -- 1 four inch painted turtle // 10 gallon -- many small ramshorn snails, 2 plants, 5 serpae tetra, 2 guppies, 2 nerite snails // 10 gallon -- 6 mollies // 10 gallon -- nothing // 2 gal Jar -- 2 endlers, plants, snails // Recent losses / gains -- 2 male endlers
Old 04-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #21
perlguy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleShark View Post
This one was about $10 at WalMart. It was a good price, I thought.

Thanks TurtleShark. I don't remember seeing any of those at Walmart, but I went to Super Target today and they had a decent collection of 0.5, 1 and 2 gallon jars.

The 2 gallon jar (no photo of that) was about $17, but was very sturdy.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk
perlguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #22
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Those look like the same kind of jar to me.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #23
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Those look like the same kind of jar to me

Aleut. I have decided to stick with endlers, I guess. Here is a link to a picture of the three that I can choose from; http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...84&pcatid=1584

My choices are the male, green cobra male, or the red flame male or one of each. I'd love to hear some opinions on this! Oh, and any suggestions for a goo shrimp species for the tank?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #24
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Ugh... I am afraid that this jar is not getting enough light. Everytime I turn the lamp on, I walk away for a couple minutes and come back only to find that someone had turned it off. When I asked why two seperate times, I got these answers "there is enough light coming in though the window." And the next time I asked (yesterday which was a very overcast day and there was not a lot of light coming in though the window, I got this answer: "Why should you turn it on when it had enough light all day? You don't need to give it light 1 4hours a day.

And today I come home to find my step day laying on the couch, every curtain in the house shut, sleeping. Even the dogs acted like they had not been out since I left 8 hours ago.

I tried explaining to him that the plants need the light to keep their red color, but my opinion is worth less than dirt to him anyway. As soon I noticed he wasn't listening to me I gave up.

Anyway, anyone think the sun (our house is angled south east so it has light about 5 hours a day when the sky is clear...) is enough for these plants?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:45 AM   #25
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Well, I got a surprise tonight... At prom, which my brother went to, they had some bettas as decorations. I knew that already, a friend of my friend was on the prom committee and told me. But, I'd long since forgotten about that one fact. Imagine how surprised I was to hear them call me over when they got home a 11 pm and showed me their price, a beuitiful male betta! It was in barely a cup of water with a couple of small glass rocks in it. I was horrified. I know bettas can live in small containers, but that was outrageous!

I set to work getting it adjusted to my jar's pH. I didn't have anywhere else to put it... I poured a cup full of jar water into the bottom of a 1 gallon bucket and then poured the fish, very carefully, into it as well. Then, I scrambled around the house trying to find my testing kit so I could make sure the pH of both the jar and the bucket were as close as they could be. I tested the bucket first. It was around the pH of my other tanks. Good, I thought, this will be easy. Then, I tested the pH of the jar and man was I shocked! It was off the charts! I got a deep purple from the test. I knew something wasn't right.

Just to be sure, I looked around for my color chart. I couldn't find it but I did find one online. I knew it. The deep purple was 8.8 or higher. Great. I did 3 50% water changes on the jar to bring it back down again and then added another cup of water from the jar to the bucket and waited a couple of minutes, then tested both one last time.

And exact match. No surpise, considering how little water the betta had to begin with. I moved him into the jar. He seems to be doing just fine right now.

My only problem is, now what? I don't know if I should give the endlers a try or not. I know endlers are usually a safe option for bettas, but it just doesn't seem like it would turn out too great in a 2 gallon tank...

And, I don't know a whole lot about bettas. I know they are aggressive to each other, can breath air from the top of the tank, and that they prefer warmer water. What else? What do I need to know? I don't even know what kind of betta I have! I wasn't prepared for this boy at all...
Old 05-04-2014, 03:54 AM   #26
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Well... congrats and condolances on the new fish that just wrecked all your plans! LOL

Sounds to me like you already have the basics of Betta care down... especially since you know they DO need warm water, unlike common mythology!

Just be careful not to overfeed, and don't rely only on pelleted food, as both will lead to bloating and constipation (our domesticated bettas are so overbred they've lost common sense that would have kept them alive in the wild...). Frozen bloodworms are a good staple food, and then you can mix in pellets or flake food. I'm not a fan of freeze-dried food for bettas either, also due to how easily they can become constipated.

Each betta can have a very individual temperment when it comes to whether or not they will tolerate tankmates. Snails are typically safe (though not always). I've personally always had good luck with bettas tolerating other fish (though never guppies... the guppies would ALWAYS constantly harass any betta I ever tried them with).

"Veiltails" are the most common bettas sold in the hobby, followed by crowntails, delta tails, plakats, doubletails, halfmoons, etc. http://bubblesandbettas.blogspot.com...ail-types.html
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:36 AM   #27
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Thanks! I might even move the betta to my other 10 gallon tank (the one currently labeled temp. snail tank in my sig.) and leaving this one to keep up with my original plan. I do think that anything else in that tank is pushing it. A betta is considerably larger than the endlers I was planning on getting for the tank. I'll put a picture of him up tomorrow when it's light out.

When I do put a picture up, I'll try to get one of the red plant. I'm not sure if the green I'm seeing on it is algae or if it's becuase the tank isn't getting that much light. The bacopa is turning brown as well but I don't know if that's just brown algae or light as well... I'll see what everyone thinks in the morning, I guess.

Now, I'm going to do a quick temperature check on the tank in the morning as I don't have a heater for this jar. That's another reason to move the betta. At least in a 10 I could heat the tank...

Oh, and I do have flake, pellet, and frozen blood worms so I think I'm all set there. It would probably be a good idea to buy some actual betta food, though, right? Or is it just a waste of money? I feed my fish original TetraFin flakes and Hikari Mini Sinking pellets. I don't remember the blood worm brand, though.

Last edited by TurtleShark; 05-04-2014 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: Added food info
Old 05-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #28
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I think as long as frozen bloodworms are his staple, you can supplement with just about anything else he's willing to eat and be fine. You don't have to buy foods that are targeted towards bettas... there are a few that actually DO adapt their formulas somewhat, but most are just the same stuff re-packaged. Hikari and OmegaOne foods are generally good quality... though one of those recently changed to a problematic preservative... can't remember which?

Hikari is my own go-to brand for frozen foods. I'll occaionally feed other brands, but I know that their frozen foods go through a sterilization process and quality controls that most other brands do not employ.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #29
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Alright then. Seems like my sister decided to call him Fredrick, so that's his name now... He seems to love his place by the window a lot. I gave him some blood worms earlier but I'm not sure if he ate or not. He looked at the flakes I put in a while later but didn't eat them.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #30
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Poor Fredrick died a few days ago due to a combination of fin rot and ick. I had to use store bought medication to try and treat him. That left me on a scedual of a water change after 4 days. That led to the fin rot. The ick came back, probably because he was stressed, and then everything went down hill from there.

I really do hate using medications...

My sister bought a betta for herself two weeks ago. Her's is going alright, but he has ick as well. Now that my heater is free (I was using it on my quarantine tank for some new tiger barbs I bought. Due to that I couldn't treat the betta properly.) I'll just give it to her to use in her 5.5 gallon. Her betta should be just fine after a few weeks.

Everyone, praise the person who thought up the heater method! They are miracle workers!