Planted 2 gallon Jar! (Poor Freddy...)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
TurtleShark
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planted 2 gallon Jar! (Poor Freddy...)

Most current picture of this tank:
As of 4/17/14:

I'm been thinking about doing a nano planted tank that is self-standing (as in, I will do water changes but it will not have a filter. It might, if I decide to get fish, have a heater.)

I've got some left over FloraMax substraite left over from my 10 gallon tank so I'll probably use it in the new tank. I'm also thinking about putting a couple of stems of my Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia' in my 10 gallon because I simply love the plant. I also might buy another plant, but I'd like to keep the layout fairly simple.

I'm thinking about maybe a single Nerite Snail in this tank and maybe a couple of ghost shrimp to start out. Then, maybe I'll add in a couple of nano fish, two at the most due to the tank's small size.

The fish could possibly be (depending on if I'm willing to pay outrageous shipping prices)
Either
Two male guppies

Two Scarlet Gem Badis (Dario dario.)

Two Male Endler's Livebearers

Any other fish suggestions would be nice. The tank would be a planted tank, species only tank, air stone, frequent water tests, and frequent water changes.

Any suggestions would be nice.

Last edited by TurtleShark; 05-21-2014 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Title change
TurtleShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
bizzle
Algae Grower

If there's a Michael's craft store near you I'd go there for a large bowl they have a good selection and are surprisingly cheap
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
TurtleShark
Planted Member

I believe that there is a Micheal's near my home. I'll have to look into that. I think a bowl would look a lot better and be a welcome change from the boring, old rectangular tanks.
55 gallon -- 2 bala sharks, 4 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark // 29 gallon -- 1 four inch painted turtle // 10 gallon -- many small pond snails, 2 plants, 5 serpae tetra, 2 guppies, 5 nerite snails // 10 gallon -- 6 mollies // 10 gallon -- temp. snail tank // Recent losses / gains --3 green T.Bs, 1 Albino Tiger barb
Old 04-11-2014, 01:30 AM   #4
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Keep in mind if you want to incorporate tropical fish that 2.5 gal is the smallest volume of water most of our hobby-grade heaters can hold at a stable temperature.

I've seen some really interesting and large clear glass vases at places like HomeGoods, if you have those up there?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #5
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Alright, that's good to know. I don't think I would go any smaller than 2.5, though. And, we don't have a HomeGoods around here, although it would be nice if we did.
55 gallon -- 2 bala sharks, 4 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark // 29 gallon -- 1 four inch painted turtle // 10 gallon -- many small pond snails, 2 plants, 5 serpae tetra, 2 guppies, 5 nerite snails // 10 gallon -- 6 mollies // 10 gallon -- temp. snail tank // Recent losses / gains --3 green T.Bs, 1 Albino Tiger barb
Old 04-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Fletch
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleShark View Post
I believe that there is a Micheal's near my home. I'll have to look into that. I think a bowl would look a lot better and be a welcome change from the boring, old rectangular tanks.
I got one of my 2g (ish) bowls on sale at Walmart for $14 and $17 for the second one. The same bowl at Michaels was $30. Of course, I am from Canada, where everything is more expensive because, er, because it costs more to, er, uh, probably because we are suckers. Each bowl has a 1 inch layer of soil (3X washed MGOC potting soil with 10% unscented non-clumping cat litter) on the bottom, and covered with 1 inch of aquarium gravel from a mature tank. For the first 6 weeks, I changed half the water every week, to leech out the tannins and excess soluble nutrients. For the past few months, the only maintenance I do is trim the plants and keep the water level up. These bowls have a fragile balance. If I feed my 5 shrimp more than 5 tiny pieces of fish food per day, I get a bit of an algae bloom. This goes away after a day or so. I love these bowls. Check out my post to see photos.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=3644897 might be of help. Do check linked-in journals and posts for more info.

v3
Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Wow, what a wonderful looking bowl!

So, I guess, here are my plants for finding a bowl:
1. WalMart
2. Meijer (just like walmart.)
3. Micheal's if that doesn't work out any.

Art supply stores are bound to be more expensive than super market stores like WalMart anyway...

Any, looking up the lifespan of the fish that I choose, I've narrowed my list down:
Even in poor conditions, my Grandma's endler has lived for quite a few years now.
Guppies only live 2 years or so.
Killies only live 2 years or so.
But, scarlet badis lives for 5 years or more.

So, if I can, I'll be doing badis in the tank.

Wonderful bowl, by the way.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
TurtleShark
Planted Member

I bought a large 2.5 gallon jar at WalMart yesterday. I'm going to get it all set up as soon as I can buy a light for it. I'm thinking I'll put it either in the kitchen or on my dinning room table. It's pretty large.

Any suggestions for a good style of light to buy?
Old 04-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

The FloraMax will be fine. I used to do soil a lot and if you go with a lighter substrate, it looks great until that first time you uproot a plant. It ends up looking more natural with a densely planted tank, but if that isn't the look you are going for, it can get annoying.

Unless you have big daily temperature swings or keep the house really cold in the winter, you don't really need a heater. Some of the more exotic nano fish might need it, but the plants don't.

Heterandria Formosa (aka lesser killi fish, even though they aren't killis), Endler's live bearers, and guppies don't require a heater unless the room is below 65*F or so (need to do the conversion to C). Don't remember with Dario Dario, Celestial Pearl Danios, Micro Rasbora, or Chilli/misquito rasbora

A compact florescent bulb with a 6,500K rating (or close to it) will work. You can also go with a LED bulb with a similar rating. Decide on the bulb before the fixture. The bulb type will determine how the lamp need to hold the bulb. LED must point down and the heat sink (the metal portion) must be exposed to prevent overheating and shortened life. A compact fluorescent can point down, or lay sideways. Most of the newer energy efficient 'rated' fixtures have a GU-24 base (two pins instead of screw in style bulbs). Well, in the US anyway. This is because only compact fluorescent bulbs come in GU-24. It is also difficult to find CFL with a GU-24 base in anything remotely close to 6,500K.
I don't know if CFL bulbs in Canada are required to have the kelvin rating (the 6,500K rating you are looking for) on the package. If not, something labeled daylight, or cold white should be in the range. 6,500K is approximately what the human eye perceives as daylight. These bulbs typically have light wavelength peaks in the ranges that support photosynthesis.

LED will draw less power and last longer. They are also more expensive. But LED costs less in the long run. Finding a fixture that you like that works with LED might be more of a pain thought unless you aren't too concerned with aesthetics or don't mind shopping around for a bit to search out the perfect lamp.

You can pretty much choose what ever fixture you want with CFL as long as it has the screw type base for the bulb.

I tend to prefer lamps that hold the bulb sideways over the tank and have a white interior to reflect the rest of the light down. Also keep an eye on how high or low the fixture can hold the bulb. You don't want it to sit too high over the tank so most of the light goes to the sides instead of in the tank. You also want the ability to not have the bulb an inch or two over the water. You may heat up the tank too much this way.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Alright, thanks for the information. That really helps me decide on how I want the light to be. I also will need to take into consideration where I want the jar to sit in my house.

My unheated 55 gallon tank stays at about 72 degrees. That might be alright for the fish, but then again it might not. My turtle's 29 gallon tank stays closer to 75 degrees without a heater. And, my unheated 10 gallon tank most likely stays above 75 degrees.

I'll hazard a guess and say that this one will stay above 72 degrees but below 75, due to it not having a lid.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
TurtleShark
Planted Member

I've heard a lot of information about aggression between male badis and as I don't know where I'd get any females, I will most likely only have one in the tank.

Which do you think would work better?

1 Scarlet Badis
2-3 Shrimp (Ghost, Bee, Cherry or Amano?)

1 Scarlet Badis
2 Male Endler Livebearers
1 Tiger Nerite Snail

1 Scarlet Badis
2 Mystery Snails
2-3 Shrimp

Or, any other suggestions. I'll be buying off from live aquaria, so if you would like to see my options that's where you should look.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #13
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Any ideas on stocking? This picture might help you out a little:

I set the tank up yesterday. The Bacopa is pearling nicely. Made me smile when I realized that the bubbles on the glass were not the only bubbles in the tank. I'm worried about lighting right now. I don't know what I'd do if it's getting too much light...

I'm going to do a trim on the plants in a week or two. I just want them to take root a little bit more because the plants were a pain to get to stay in the gravel. I was hoping no ramshorn or pond snails would get into it, but I had forgotten to rinse the plants off when I took them out of my other tank. Oh well, they don't hurt anything anyway.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
perlguy
Algae Grower

Very nice nano tank jar.

How much do these jars/bowls usually cost in Walmart/Michaels? I see they are generally more expensive than fish tanks in Petsmart and Petco.
perlguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #15
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I've seen some really interesting/pretty ones at places like HomeGoods/TJMaxx/Ross/Marshalls for anywhere from $5-20.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote