Aquarium timer using Irrigation computer - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:19 AM   #16
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (94/100%)

Did you choose your relays yet WP? I am curious to see what the total cost of this will be.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:26 AM   #17
nycsicktank
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nycsicktank

theres something like this in sw equipment =)
Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #18
swylie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
That's one weird/good thing about this particular timer that you can control the zones independently, rather than a one after another deal like other timers.
Yeah, I saw where you mentioned that, and that's cool. It would still be nice if you could control each zone completely independently, but I guess that's not really necessary. However, I was referring to the relays that someone mentioned that had three channels or something. Of course they all switch together, so it doesn't do anything for you except increase the current handling capacity of your relay, so far as I can tell. Still six channels, not eighteen...
Old 02-27-2008, 03:11 AM   #19
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hey! Where did my post go?! It just disappeared! I posted an explanation of how you could use one output to control a relay, which would energize however many adjustable time delay relays to stage multiple items off of each output. I also explained the basic programming I would use to control my lunar lights, 3 stages of main lighting, the CO2 solenoid, Reactor pump & an air pump. I could do all that with the 4 zone unit.

I'm not going to sit here & rethink the timer schedule again. :P

Tommy

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
Old 02-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #20
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Did you choose your relays yet WP? I am curious to see what the total cost of this will be.
No, I am searching. Got some excellent 110V relays for $0.75/ea (see link earlier) and I was hoping to find something similar for 24V.

So, the total cost would be

$35 for the irrigation timer
$5 for relays
$5 for power strip

$45 for basically 6 semi-independent advanced timers in a compact package. Not too bad.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #21
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
Hey! Where did my post go?! It just disappeared! I posted an explanation of how you could use one output to control a relay, which would energize however many adjustable time delay relays to stage multiple items off of each output. I also explained the basic programming I would use to control my lunar lights, 3 stages of main lighting, the CO2 solenoid, Reactor pump & an air pump. I could do all that with the 4 zone unit.

I'm not going to sit here & rethink the timer schedule again. :P

Tommy
Hmmm... lost in electron land.

This sounds workable, but then you'd have to add delay timers, which adds to the total cost and complexity I guess. I prefer to spend a bit more for a 6 zone timer upfront, and the flexibility to time minutes up to 12 hours is pretty good.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #22
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hmmm... lost in electron land.

This sounds workable, but then you'd have to add delay timers, which adds to the total cost and complexity I guess. I prefer to spend a bit more for a 6 zone timer upfront, and the flexibility to time minutes up to 12 hours is pretty good.
I agree on the 6 zone, but you can still only have 2 zones energized at the same time. The beuaty of using TDR's is you can stage multiplethings off of 1 or 2 zones. A TDR costs about $8.00 for me.

Tommy

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
Old 02-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #23
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
A TDR costs about $8.00 for me.
Tommy
Just for you, or anyone? Got a link or source?

I am asking because I built some delay timers with relays, but buying the circuit board, relay, and plugs added up to a bit more.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #24
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I agree on the 6 zone, but you can still only have 2 zones energized at the same time. The beuaty of using TDR's is you can stage multiplethings off of 1 or 2 zones. A TDR costs about $8.00 for me.

Tommy
Quote:
Just for you, or anyone? Got a link or source?

I am asking because I built some delay timers with relays, but buying the circuit board, relay, and plugs added up to a bit more.

Sorry, bad typo! It should read $28.00. At least that's what i used to get them for. Here's an example (even though it's not who we used to get them from):

http://www.wolfautomation.com/Produc...roductID=22575

Tommy

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Old 02-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #25
kornphlake
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

It's no dollar relay, but it's probably the best you'll find assuming whatever you are powering doesn't draw more than 3A
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...?name=PB139-ND

There are a couple others, this one is a little less and will handle 10A@250VAC, way overkill but it'll save you a couple bucks per relay
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...l?name=Z843-ND

5A@220VAC
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...l?name=Z184-ND
Old 02-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #26
dekstr
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

This sounds interesting. I don't understand most of it, but when you guys have it figured out, make sure to write out a irrigation set-up for dummies article!

In the mean time I'll keep reading and scratching my head.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #27
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
It's no dollar relay, but it's probably the best you'll find assuming whatever you are powering doesn't draw more than 3A
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...?name=PB139-ND

There are a couple others, this one is a little less and will handle 10A@250VAC, way overkill but it'll save you a couple bucks per relay
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...l?name=Z843-ND

5A@220VAC
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...l?name=Z184-ND
Thanks, but nah... not even close to the best I will find. This is a bit closer.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #28
kornphlake
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Thanks, but nah... not even close to the best I will find. This is a bit closer.
Or you can use that. I never think to look on ebay for stuff like that, usually for items under about $10 you don't save much after paying the inflated shipping and handling fees.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #29
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
Or you can use that. I never think to look on ebay for stuff like that, usually for items under about $10 you don't save much after paying the inflated shipping and handling fees.
Just went ahead and bought six

POTTER & BRUMFIELD KHAU-17A11-24 RELAY 14 BLADE 24VAC

via fleabay. They were $2.75 ea and with (very reasonable) shipping the total came out to $20 flat, or $3.33/relay.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #30
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (94/100%)

Did you just solder to the pins of these relays to make the connections or did you buy some type of base unit to plug the relays into? I am a bit lost with this electrical stuff here, but this is totally intriguing to say the least.