Eheim ecco 2232 review
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-15-2004, 06:21 PM   #1
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Received and set up my Ecco 2232 on my 30 gal last Thursday.
Just under $75 all told from Big Al's.
Did not include premium intake/spraybar.
Included spherical bio-media - looks like Cocoa Puffs.

Very easy systen to set up.
One of the toughest things was that the instructions were printed in so many languages, it was a bit confusing to find the 2-3 pages that I needed, and flip back to the photos!

Hoses connected to cannister easily and securely.
Media baskets a cinch to remove. I used blue pad under Cocoa Puffs in the bottom, and Cocoa Puffs under white pad in top. Did not use carbon.
Am using Hagen ladder diffusor for DIY CO2.
Have the intake and discharge in the same back corner as the CO2 ladder - relatively unobtrusive gathering of most of the mechanics in one spot. It seems to allow decent circulation, the intake is so close to the tank bottom, and the discharge comes out horizontally near the water surface.
Intend to wrap the intake with a sponge, which I will rinse out regularly, to prolong/minimize canister cleaning.
Very quiet - but not silent. Slight hum.
Self primer worked very easily. Handle seemed sturdy enough - I feel I would really have to manhandle it to break it.

I was a little surprised at the size of the unit. I had not noticed the dimensions, and the photos I had seen made it look somewhat smaller than it was. It is about the size of a 2# coffee can. Maybe 5-6" in diameter. I have an open stand, and placed filter on the floor, so I had to slide my tank/stand out a little farther from the wall.

Absolutely no leakage in the past 4 days.

For my needs and for the price, I am very satisfied with this filter.
Will let you know if any problems develop.

For a larger or higher tech tank I would likely have gone to a Pro or Pro2, with integrated heater. But given my relatively small, low-tech set-up, this suit me just fine.

30 g moderately/heavily planted, moderately/heavily stocked
DIY CO2 (2 bottles, Hagen ladder)
55W CF
Adds: TMG, NO3, PO4, Flourish
eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice review, eds

I have an ECCO 2235 on my 46g. So far, so good for me as well. I second everything you've said. I think that all the ECCOs are the same width, and it is only the height (and pump output) that varies - the media sponges are the same size for all models. This is in contrast to the the classic Eheims, which get taller and 'fatter'. I added 2X more holes in my spray bar (ala dremmel tool) because I like to view my vals in an upright position . I know that flow can be reduced by pointing the spraybar against the wall, etc, but the best circulation seems to be achieved by spraying horizontally (across the length of the tank).

Yours is the first review I've seen for the newer ECCO models (2232 2234 2236). I've done a bit of superficial internet digging, but could not find any reviews/articles re: the difference between the new models and the old ones (2231 2233 2235). Any thoughts?

Ted

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:49 PM   #3
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'm sure I'm not the only one a little confused about Eheim's model numbering system (see the thread elsewhere accusing their engineers of being drunk!)

I initially ordered the 2231. They called back and said they were out of stock and I could have a 2232 shipped from the company. I said sure. Their website now has only the 2232 listed (at a higher price than I paid), not the 2231.

I e-mailed Eheim. They said 2232 was the same as 2231, but included bio media.

That is consistent with what Big Al's had said. When I asked what the difference was, they said the 2232 came with media. I figured, send me whatever, and I'll decide what I want to cram into it.

I contacted a local planted aq club. One guy told me the footprint of te 2232 is the same as the 2231, but the output is somewhat higher. I have been unable to find any info to confirm this.

Bottom-line, like I said my tank is pretty low tech, and intended to be relatively low-maintenance. My old HOB filter had died, and trying to find/compare filters was threatening to become a pain in the butt.

I went with Eheim because of their rep for quietness, and the Ecco for the relative cost and simplicity.

I had experiemented briefly with simply a powerhead, but my wife objected to the hum. And she had never liked the noise from the HOB bio-wheel.

I'm pleased with my choice. It is just another example, however, of how this hobby of ours is not readily transparent for newbies. And why we all have to continue to help each other!
eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
batman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have 2 eccos, a 2232 and 2234. I like them both (much better than my xp3). Mine did not come with spraybar, I made my own. One came off in the middle of the night, dropping the output hose on the floor. WOW, what a mess, took a 20g to a 5g very quickly.

I have found, the biggest thing to be careful of is to be sure and remove the hoses (quickconnect) from the unit before attempting to open the lid. I know this sounds obvious, but, i was in a hurry and tried to force the lide open with the handle while the hoses were still attached. Broke a few replaceable parts on the handle.

Eheim Substrat Pro is awesome bio media and bio-spira completely cycle my media and established bio in 2 days !
batman is offline   Reply With Quote