Changed my Scape a bit.. suggestions, comments?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
metsfan421
IT and Planted Aquariums

PTrader: (0/0%)

Changed my Scape a bit.. suggestions, comments?

Hi guys, take a look at my recent "re-scape" just added some rock into the scape and moved some plants around, added a few fish. Let me know what you think, always looking to better the setup! Here's a link to my OneDrive folder with some pics and vids of all my tanks, take a look if you have a few

75 Gallon New Rescape: http://1drv.ms/1mXAbe1

My ever expanding OneDrive folder with pics and vids from all my tanks: http://1drv.ms/1g0emcD

Eddie
metsfan421 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
cowmilkcandy
Algae Grower

Do you only have one discus in your tank? If so, how does it do in there? I was thinking of getting one but afraid of the temperature difference. My tank is a 90 gallon and temperature is around 74-76.
cowmilkcandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Nu2Plants
Algae Grower

Don't keep one discus. Discus need higher tempos, over 82f. One discus at that low temp will not do well. Discus need to be kept at least 6 in number. At least 10 gallons per fish.
Nu2Plants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
metsfan421
IT and Planted Aquariums

Default Temp is at 83

I have the temp in the tank at 83. The other fish have been doing well in that temp. I know Discus like to have a higher temp, up to 86 if I am correct, but I also heard that anything over 82 is good for them. I had two other Discus prior to this and they died. The reason for 6 discus together in a tank is for what, they like to school together like tetras? Is he nervous with just himself in the tank now?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
cowmilkcandy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan421 View Post
I have the temp in the tank at 83. The other fish have been doing well in that temp. I know Discus like to have a higher temp, up to 86 if I am correct, but I also heard that anything over 82 is good for them. I had two other Discus prior to this and they died. The reason for 6 discus together in a tank is for what, they like to school together like tetras? Is he nervous with just himself in the tank now?
I've asked my LFS guy and he said it's fine to keep one discus in a tank. But hey, everyone has their own opinion on things. If one is working for you, then you shouldn't worry at all. You kinda need a big tank for 6 discus if you want any swim room considering they do get kinda big.
cowmilkcandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Nu2Plants
Algae Grower

Yes discus are schooling type fish. They feel safer in larger numbers. If you keep one, it'll feel less safe and become stressed. If you keep more than one but less than six, they will pick on the runt a lot, until they either kill it, or it dies from stress and finally some disease.

Discus need at least 10 gallons per fish. So really if you want to keep discus, you need at least a 60 gallon tank to even be able to play. That's just the discus, no other fish. If you want other fish in there too, and there's really only a few that work out with discus anyway, you'll need an even bigger tank.
Nu2Plants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
metsfan421
IT and Planted Aquariums

Default 75 and a 90

I have a 75 gallon and a 90 gallon, so I have plenty of space if I went with the 6 discus route. Although, with the prices in the LFS around here for discus, that would probably set me back about $500.00. LoL. In any event, what do you think about the SCAPE? That's what I originally asked for comments on! :-) - Thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
water-kitties
Master of shrimp whiskers

PTrader: (12/100%)

I think it would look better if you had a larger rock in the far right behind your smaller ones. If it's not possible, maybe try arranging the smaller rocks to pile more to the right vs an even line like they are now. It looks too perfectly set out as it is.
water-kitties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
metsfan421
IT and Planted Aquariums

Thanks waterkitties ill try that.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:26 AM   #10
metsfan421
IT and Planted Aquariums

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'm new to aquascaping and would appreciate all of your feedback.

Tags
75 gallon, aquascape, plants, rocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.