Peat with Leonardite - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-19-2004, 06:31 PM   #16
Arvo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks Sean. I don't really anticipate any major problems with the amounts that I'm considering. The only thing that comes to mind is the potential for the substrate to become too acidified. I wouldn't want to have start thinking about too much aluminum! :shock:
Arvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2004, 07:14 PM   #17
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Acid leaching is one of the drawbacks of using peat(y) substrate amendments. Deep rooting plants is one way to combat that problem. A handful of dolomite or crushed coral on the bottom of the substrate is another.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:28 PM   #18
Anonymous
Planted Member

Gonna go with Crypts mostly.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:02 PM   #19
secretagent
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well another thing is the PH dosnt it go down with peat??? I might be wronge but correct me If I am. :?

La la la la
I live in my own little world, but thats ok, they know me here...

Man! Good to be back! I have been soo consumed with my saltwater tank and school it's just so sad to let my empty fishtanks go to waste!

----SO LETS GET IT ON!----
Back to the Good side We shall travel!
secretagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 02:28 AM   #20
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yes, acid, by definition, lowers pH.
Yes, acid, by definition, lowers pH. But like Sean said, it has to leach into the water column to do it.

I have no acid leaching into the water column that I have been able to detect in my 20. But I didn't use a large amount of peat, and it is capped by a good 3" of substrate above the peat- including Onyx sand, which would neutralize it anyway.

I got a little sloppy on the 10, only capped about 2", and it was so wet when I mixed it that the peat layer (which had several magnitudes of order more peat and leonardite than the 20), just sort of migrated upward as I built things up. There are a lot of tannins in the water in this tank now. Another 10, that I started fresh with, has identically the same amount of peat and leonardite, but it is mixed into the bottom inch, and was capped with 3" dry substrate. There is zero leaching of tannins in this tank. The water is crystal clear. You have to be careful to contain the peat(y) part. That, of course, is easy, right up to the first major rescaping/replanting.