Laterite and Medications.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-12-2004, 04:14 AM   #1
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

How long is laterite capable of holiding onto the active ingredients in medications?

I treated my tank with Clout about 2 years ago, ran carbon for about a month to get rid of whatever may have persisted through the water changes. However, I am still having problems with keeping shrimp, and I am almost thinking that the laterite could still be holding something.

Is this possible?

I am also dosing Flourish, Flourish Iron, Potassium, and Phosphate, as well as Excell.

It also seems that my attemps at keeping shrimp are becoming increasingly successful, I see one almost every day now, and its been there about 2 months. I believe this is the longest I had one last so far.

Could it be that water changes are diluting out whatever the laterite is holding, or is it something else?

Sorry about the length.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #2
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?
Old 03-31-2004, 03:22 AM   #3
Anonymous
Planted Member

Hi Putty,
I have successfully kept Amano shrimp (Caridinia japonica) for about 5 1/2 months now. I have read quite a lot about them in this time.
They are very sensitive to water quality ESPECIALLY HEAVY METALS. Is it possible that something in the Flourish is too much for them?
Also are you sure they died? - Did you find bodies?
Fish as small as Glowlight Tetra have taken a chunk out of a shrimp tail, wouldn't take a much bigger fish to kill one. However the shrimp have good defenses and can be quite aggressive themselves.
Have you ever found exo-skeletons (shed skins)? These are a good sign that your shrimp accept their water conditions. Never finding any is not good at all, mine were all shedding in the 1st week.
The shrimp who survived may not be the only one, just the only one brave enough to come out. What fish are in there? How big is the tank etc?

I might never find my way back to this thread so I hope what ive said gives you something to go on. If you need any help at all with shrimpy stuff feel free to email me anytime mat AT happyhardcore.dj

Good luck, Matt
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 05:34 PM   #4
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Matt.

I am redoing the tank this weekend, so I will know for sure how many shrimp there are left. I have not seet moults in the tank so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.