cf better than n/o flourescent?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-15-2004, 05:42 AM   #1
Rich M
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is a compact flourescent better than a regular normal output flourecent of the same wattage? I thought I read somewhere that they are something like 3 times more intense?
Rich M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 06:05 AM   #2
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

At least double the intensity for sure. I'm not sure about 3 times. I've never checked the spec.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Nino, where did you see the double the intensity specification? I'm sure if you'll look at most 55w PC bulbs, you'll find their lux output around 5000 lumens (90 lumens/watt) and most 40w NO tubes at around 3000 lumens (75 lumens/watt). This constitutes 20% more output. Definitely not 2-3 times as much.
Bottom line - the 2-3 wpg rule still works for PC's.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:15 PM   #4
TexasState
Algae Grower

It's not just the bulb, you have to have good reflector design/material too.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
Rich M
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. The reflector would be a factor regardless of light type, no?

So lumens is where I need to look to find a difference. Thanks, that helps a lot.
Rich M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2004, 03:58 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich M
Is a compact flourescent better than a regular normal output flourecent of the same wattage? I thought I read somewhere that they are something like 3 times more intense?
One thing to remember when comparing them is the physical size of the bulb. Normal fluorescents are larger than compacts (as the name says) and the light is spread out over a longer area. That is why they seem dimmer. However, on a lumen per watt basis, they are very similar, sometimes one, sometimes the other is "better".

Also, keep in mind that lumen is brightness as seen by the human eye, so some bulbs that are made specifically for maximizing photosynthesis appear dim to the human eye, and have comparatively low lumen numbers, but are more effective for growing plants than one that seems brighter.

So... while power compacts are great for getting a lot of watts over a small area, they are not really more efficient than normal fluorescents. You will notice when you touch them. :mrgreen:
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2004, 08:29 PM   #7
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, CF lumens output is around 20% more than NO tubes. Good reflectors always help...but I think at 3wpg of CF you're good to grow any plant. 3.5wpg for NO's...basically you can 'stretch the WPG rule' a little with CF's if the tank is 20-90 gallons.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2004, 09:08 PM   #8
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm... the guy at my LFS told me that CFs are equal to about 1.5 the specified wattage.

i.e. a 65w CF is equal to about a 95w NO. Now I understand everyone above is talking about lumens output, but this guy said it's not just lumens, you'd actually count it as a 95w NO and calculate your WPG from there.

Regardless, I think I'll be okay with a 65w CF on a 29g. (yes?) Or I've got room to add a 14w T5. What do y'all think? Overkill?

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2004, 09:54 PM   #9
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Don't trust "the guy at your LFS". Don't trust me either, but the guy at the LFS probably knows that a CF fixture gives him a higher profit margin, or at least sales dollars. Not that the CF fixtures are not "better" with their awesome reflectors, just not more efficient.

Here is a link to an article that discusses several aspects of efficiency, along with a comparison of different sorts and kinds of bulbs: http://www.aquabotanic.com/lightcompare.htm
Old 03-15-2004, 10:25 PM   #10
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I hear ya Wasserpest, but this particular guy I trust to at least not snow me. On more than one occasion he's quietly steered me away from something that the owner of the store was trying to talk me into. He also doesn't hesitate to talk me out of purchases that he doesn't think will work out with my setup. I tend to go straight to him for advice now.

Oddly tho (off on a bit of a tangent here) at another LFS they've actually posted a sign stating that 1.5-2wpg is all that's necessary for a planted aquarium, and anything higher than 2wpg isn't even utilized by the plants. Huh? Are they trying to not sell lighting?

wannacomewith.com
Old 03-15-2004, 10:56 PM   #11
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Sorry Amanda, I shouldn't have blindly discredited the guy. In some way he is right on If you take the usual high quality reflectors of compacts into account, the factor he gave you is probably a good estimate to go by.

After all, PC's and normal fluorescents are the same/similar technology... if you feed more watts into a regular NO, it can be as bright as a PC bulb, while the efficiency does not increase that way.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:03 PM   #12
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No worries, Wasserpest. It's actually good advice (the owner of the store being a case in point :roll.

wannacomewith.com
Old 03-16-2004, 03:42 PM   #13
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

What is scary is that the owner of this LFS is feeding quite a few half-truths to his customers. Sure, it is possible that a PC setup is 2 (not 3) times brighter than a NO output, if the NO setup has no reflector and is using a cheap magnetic ballast, but those are conditions that are not defined.
Also - keeping plants at anything above 2wpg is useless? Sure, possibly. If you're not supplementing CO2 and monitoring nutrients consistently, then yes - anything above 2wpg isn't going to grow plants any better. But again - it's only half of the truth and you're wise to research and get second opinions.

I've been to dozens of LFS's that trashed the internet, claiming that you'll find nothing but cooks and bad advice. While I'm sure you'll run into plenty of both, for the most part, the Internet is generally the best source of information since no one stands anything to gain. We're not selling anything - we're just hobbyists sharing info about something we enjoy.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:31 PM   #14
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I couldn't agree more! You should never just trust one person's opinion. Ask around, research, and then trust your own experience.

And speaking of what you can find on the internet, this discussion piqued my curiosity so I googled and I found this. Read the description for compact fluorescents. :!:

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying that this is correct information. Just sayin' it's out there...

ETA: GulfCoastAquarian, I just wanted to clarify that there are several sources of information in discussion here -- it's not all from one LFS. Wouldn't that be a kick!?

wannacomewith.com
Old 03-16-2004, 07:15 PM   #15
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

4 times the light output of regular fluourescents, that would be cool if it were true. I only see a slight differance in the brightness between the two.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.