Anubias melting and dying.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
stan71
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anubias melting and dying.

Has anybody experience there anubias melting and dying? My anubias nana petite is losing its leaves and the rhizome is getting soft going to pull it out later today.
This is second one I lost in the same location the first anubias died seems strange my other anubias nana are ok one of them sprouted a new leaf.
I did experienced this before with a Petsmart anubias but I figured they werent grown underwater so thats why it melted.
I browsed this forum and the web and found thats its some kind of disease and no cure.
stan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Do you have pictures of the sick and healthy plants you can post? Is the rhizome on the sick plant buried in the substrate? I would think that if you had two of the same plant in the same location die, it might be something in your tank.
greaser84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Usually when that happens there are several reasons

1. Shock
2. Burn
3 disease

Usually it's shock so what I do is instead of tying them to a log or rock I place them directly into the substrate. This helps produce root growth.
daboss808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #4
stan71
Algae Grower

I have tied to some driftwood will post some pics later

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
stan71
Algae Grower

I did some tank maintenance today and found another anubias melting. I removed both from the tank and removed all the melted parts from both plants.
I put both plants in another container with an air stone hopefully they recover the nana looks the best.
Also both anubias was bought at the same time about three weeks ago.

IMG_0242.JPG
This one is from the petite
IMG_0243.JPG
Regular anubias nana
IMG_0215.JPG
The two anubias nana on the bottom are both healthy the one on the left has brown alagae.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Algae could be your problem. Any use of co2? What about nutrients? What is your ppm status?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I find anubias responds well to higher levels of phosphate.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

Next to last photo appear's the rhizone was tore off of possibly another plant and this may play a part in the plant's health.
I use a razor blade to make clean cut's at an angle when I remove a portion to place somehwere else.
Also has been reported that some grow facilities spray their plant's which are nearly alway's grown with root's in water,leaves above water, to keep insect's from damaging the plant's. (leaves).
Doesn't matter that the plant's from store tank's are submerged ,for they likely were not before arriving.
This spraying of the plant's has been suspect in more than a few instances where anubia's just rotted away despite good CO2/fertilizer's.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
stan71
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss808 View Post
Algae could be your problem. Any use of co2? What about nutrients? What is your ppm status?
Ammonia 0,Nitrites 0,Nitrates 0,GH 75,KH 80 and PH 7.4. No co2 and I used Aqueon liquid plant food and flourish root tabs.
Also right now I filled the quarantine tank with untreated water,an airstone and added some erythromycin hope for the best
Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
stan71
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Next to last photo appear's the rhizone was tore off of possibly another plant and this may play a part in the plant's health.
I use a razor blade to make clean cut's at an angle when I remove a portion to place somehwere else.
Also has been reported that some grow facilities spray their plant's which are nearly alway's grown with root's in water,leaves above water, to keep insect's from damaging the plant's. (leaves).
Doesn't matter that the plant's from store tank's are submerged ,for they likely were not before arriving.
This spraying of the plant's has been suspect in more than a few instances where anubia's just rotted away despite good CO2/fertilizer's.
Yea it was me I tore the rotten pieces of I thought the plant was toast then I realized some of the rhizome wasn't soft and mushy.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan71 View Post
Ammonia 0,Nitrites 0,Nitrates 0,GH 75,KH 80 and PH 7.4. No co2 and I used Aqueon liquid plant food and flourish root tabs.
Also right now I filled the quarantine tank with untreated water,an airstone and added some erythromycin hope for the best
What is your ppm? Tds levels. What is your light t5 HO? Tryin to figure out what could be the problem. Anubias is a low light plant little or med light is sufficent. Co2 can be through fish or any living thing in the tank. I use osmocote for ferts it's the best I used by far. Healthy reaction and very little plant deaths
Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
stan71
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss808 View Post
What is your ppm? Tds levels. What is your light t5 HO? Tryin to figure out what could be the problem. Anubias is a low light plant little or med light is sufficent. Co2 can be through fish or any living thing in the tank. I use osmocote for ferts it's the best I used by far. Healthy reaction and very little plant deaths
Im sorry Daboss I don't know what tds levels is and what ppm levels you are asking for,but my ammonia,nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 5 to 10 ppm.
Sorry I put 0 nitrates in my last post.
The light is a Marineland led double bright was thinking to upgrading to a better light no co2 was planning to use Flourish exel to help with algae.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tds is total dissolve solids. Basically minerals and heavy metals.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's seems your Anubias is in shock and because it's a slow growing plant more will die before you get growing results. Disturbing the roots and the plant itself causes it to go more in shock. I would try not to fuss with it too much and takes Bruce advice put lil more phosphate in your tank
Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #15
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

This is not a deficiency. It is almost certainly anubias disease which rots the rhizome and the base of the stems, then later attacks leaf tissue. It seems to spread by contact with infected parts of the plants. It is potentially caused by a slow moving plant eating worm (though this needs to be verified by microscopy). There are no known cures, but aggressive pruning of diseased areas can save plants if you catch it early. Be sure to clean the blade between each cut or you will infect healthy tissue and cut into the "healthy" areas around the infected parts or the disease is likely to keep spreading.

The only other ways anubias are damaged like this where the stem becomes mushy is by improper shipping (wet conditions for too long, or when temperature is too high or low during shipping, this promotes opportunistic fungal attacks).
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote