Bacteria Bloom fix?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
tom855
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (78/100%)

Bacteria Bloom fix?

What are the primary causes of a bacteria bloom? I suspect that is what I have been experiencing over the past several weeks. The setup is about 9 months old and nothing has changed lately. I'm wondered if a slow buildup of ferts or something (I'm doing EI) could be the culprit. I have a UV sterilizer I can hook up but I'd rather fix the problem than mask it (I think).

Ideas?
tom855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
imeridian
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian

How are you cleaning the filter media? ...if it's a true bacterial bloom it's because your bio filtration is lacking or being disturbed on too regular a basis. The only way to actually get rid of a bacterial bloom is to wait it out, zapping it with UV, water changes, etc, are not a solution as you've realized (just masking it).

What size tank and what are the inhabitants? Water change schedule?
Old 02-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
BentZero
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I think I'm going through the same thing. Tank is about 3 months old. I scooped water out into a white plastic cup and the water had no green color to it. This led me to believe that it's a bacteria bloom. I'm going on week 3 with this. I was doing daily 25% water changes for 4 days and didn't notice any change. I guess I should ride it out. When I didn't have the bloom I was doing weekly 5g water changes. This is a 20g RCS tank.

Filstar pimp #119
BentZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
I was doing daily 25% water changes for 4 days and didn't notice any change. I guess I should ride it out. When I didn't have the bloom I was doing weekly 5g water changes. This is a 20g RCS tank.

I get mild bacteria blooms only after water changes. Stop the water changes and ride it out, as you said.

To accelerate the process, oxygenate the water by dropping the level a few inches, so that the return flow splashes into the tank. That clears mine within a day.
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
EricSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:11 AM   #5
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Just a water change shouldn't send your tank into a bacteria bloom- especially not a planted tank?

I'm with Indie- anything at all you can think of that may have affected your biological filtration?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:28 AM   #6
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Just a water change shouldn't send your tank into a bacteria bloom- especially not a planted tank?

I'm with Indie- anything at all you can think of that may have affected your biological filtration?
The organics and chlorine in tap water contribute to my tank's slight blueish haze after large water changes. The chlorine definitely impacts biological filtration.
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
Old 02-23-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
imeridian
Planted Tank Guru

I've never encountered that, I dose Prime for my aquarium volume and then refill (with otherwise untreated water) the 50% volume previously removed. The reaction of Prime against Chlorine/Chloramine in the water is virtually instantaneous. If you're killing your beneficial bacteria when doing a water change then something is wrong with how you're performing the water changes or the dechlorination chemical being used.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
tom855
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (78/100%)

It may just be the filtration in my tank. I'm getting close to the time when I'd clean the filter and replace the pad. Perhaps I need to reduce the time between changes. I'm planning to do a filter clean in a couple of days and will see how that affects the water clarity. Thanks for the advice..... back soon.....
tom855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
I've never encountered that, I dose Prime for my aquarium volume and then refill (with otherwise untreated water) the 50% volume previously removed. The reaction of Prime against Chlorine/Chloramine in the water is virtually instantaneous.
I use straight tapwater, which is bad, but the bloom lasts only a few hours if the water is aerated. Should the need arise for a large water change, I'll use the Prime.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #10
Mishmosh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSilver View Post
The organics and chlorine in tap water contribute to my tank's slight blueish haze after large water changes. The chlorine definitely impacts biological filtration.
I was wondering about that phenomenon! Thanks for the explanation. It probably doesn't help that I give a little bit more fert after a water change.
Mishmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:15 AM   #11
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

Never even occured to me that you might be using untreated tapwater! LOL

I never add untreated tapwater to my tanks. That definitely would be a good explanation.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:59 AM   #12
imeridian
Planted Tank Guru

Wow, there are no circumstances where I'd ever do a water change without treating the water.

If you know it's bad, why do you do it?
Old 02-24-2008, 02:10 AM   #13
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom855 View Post
It may just be the filtration in my tank. I'm getting close to the time when I'd clean the filter and replace the pad. Perhaps I need to reduce the time between changes. I'm planning to do a filter clean in a couple of days and will see how that affects the water clarity. Thanks for the advice..... back soon.....
Forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know, but you should never change all the media in your filter at the same time. A large portion of any tank's Nitrogen-fixing bacteria are found in the filter, and if you remove too much media all at once, that by itself can trigger a cycle and bloom in a tank. I only change 1/2 my filter media or less at a time, and any time I clean my filter I put back in the old media and don't change any media at all for at least several weeks to a month afterwards.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 AM   #14
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
Wow, there are no circumstances where I'd ever do a water change without treating the water.

If you know it's bad, why do you do it?

The tap water is bad in a nuisance way, not a tragic way. A typical tap water change for me never exceeds 3 gallons (approx 11%). For larger water changes I use distilled. When bacterial blooms occur, they are very mild, short-lived, and cause no harm.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #15
Mishmosh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Did a water change today with dechlorinator. No blueish/white cloudy water at all--water is crystal clear. I don't know if it's because my canister is only a month old but I was used to doing 50% water changes with untreated tap and I never noticed anything but very transient cloudiness. A couple of weeks ago, it lasted a few days though. I am glad this thread came up--I am going to treat from now on.
Mishmosh is offline   Reply With Quote