Complexity Journal: 2.5g nano / Torn down for now. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

wow, that is a NICE nano. it could be the nicest 2.5 nano ive seen, and you get extra points for originality, finally somebody who made a nice 2.5 without using iwagumi style.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Thanks, CL and marko!

Marko, I'm in agreement with you. I'm not crazy over the iwagumi style tanks. I wanted this tank to be a true miniature. I didn't quite achieve the goal I had in mind, mainly because the chain swords have grown too large, but it's much better than my first (lack of) attempt.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to make it better? Since I have to tear it apart to anchor the driftwood down, I'd love to incorporate any ideas to improve things while I'm at it.

I'm thinking I need to raise the rock pathway, but then I'm not sure how I could keep the dip in the middle. The pathway is glued together so it's one piece that I can move. I'm thinking that it might be better if I tried to use it as a terrace instead of a path. I'd have to glue more rocks to the front side of it which would then work as a retaining wall of sorts.

I'm also wondering if I should consider a full ground cover to help keep the sand in place so the hills and valleys won't get ruined. I could harvest the riccia to make it a full ground cover. I think it would be best to plant it on rocks or something I can pull out for trimming. Or maybe there's something else that would be better? I want the scale of the leaves to remain very tiny to continue the "miniature" theme.

Anyone with any ideas, suggestions or comments?
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 AM   #18
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

No suggestions? Anyone?
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 05-27-2008, 01:28 AM   #19
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (78/100%)

i would say hc would be your best bet on this one, it has small leaves and remains low and carpets
Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 AM   #20
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Is HC and Dwarf Baby Tears the same plant? If so, I have some! It's half dead because I bought it on a whim, but didn't find a place to put it. So it's been sitting in my plant Q/T tank.

If what I have is HC, I would like to give it a try.

How hard is it to maintain? Does it need regular trimming?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #21
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (78/100%)

hc is dwarf baby tears, it needs no trimming and i have grown it great in just plain sand with diy co2 and only dosing iron and potassium every once in a while, good luck
Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 AM   #22
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Great! Thanks for the idea. I think I'll give it a try. I didn't know I could grow riccia in that tank, but since I can, I bet I can grow HC, too.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #23
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

oh i just thought of something while i was trimming my crypts:
you may want to put some moss directly behind the riccia on the substrate between the chain swords. it will carpet there. and form a nice dark green coushon which will be a nice contrast to the lighter green of the chain sword. just dumps some loose strands there and they will do the work by themselves, no need to make a carpet with mess or attach to rocks.

if you are wondering how my crypts gave me that idea, i have moss growing under my crypts and it looks really cool. the reason im saying you dont need to do anything but put the moss there, is because in my tank i never did anything for the moss there, it just drifted down as i trimmed it from the wood above and i didnt manage to collect all of it.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #24
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Interesting idea, Marko. I probably can't implement your idea exactly as described since I'm rather anal about vacuuming my tanks, but I like the idea of the two colors of green contrasting each other. Maybe I can rework things to use HC and riccia as a contrast. They're not as good a contrast as java moss, but they'd both be anchored down well enough to hold the sand in place while still adding contrasting greens and leaf shapes.

One thing I did that I think may help me keep plants from growing into each other was to create actual dividers in which to plant the swords. I actually created "bowls" in the swirling shape in which I would allow them to grow. It's as if they're in containers without holes. The whole design is created with these bowls of sorts. That way, when I rescape this tank, I can literally lift out various parts without having to "dig up" any of the plants. Well, except the crypt in the far right corner, but that's a plant that can take abuse without showing it.

You're all giving me some ideas for my next scape. Thanks!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #25
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

HC or riccia may find that area of too low light, otherwise it would work great.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #26
deMastro
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice job!
deMastro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #27
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (69/100%)

Marseila minuta is another you might try in place of the riccia- dwarf clover, and I think it would be the right scale?

If you Echinodorus keeps getting taller, you may have E. angustifolius, not E. tenellus (these related plants apparently all are being given new scientific names b/c they're all confused LOL)

It looks really, really nice Vickie- you'd never know it was a nano, even, you've done such a good job with scale
Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #28
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I had completely forgotten about Marsilea minuta! I think it would be easier to grow than HC.

Does anyone know which has a darker green appearance? HC or Marsilea minuta?

I also think you're right about the strapy plant being Echinodorus angustifolius instead of E. tenellus. This also solves a mystery I was having. Remember I mentioned that I pulled the E. tenellus from my 20Long to plant it in this 2.5g? But then I bought some more to help fill it in. Well, the older Echinodorus hasn't grown anywhere near as tall as the newer ones. I thought maybe my old ones were stunted since it wasn't doing well in my 20L. If they are two different species of Echinodorus, that would explain things. Looking at the two plants, I am leaning towards the thought that they are indeed two different species.

I'm really glad to know this before I do my rescape. I think I'll pull it out of the 2.5 to use it elsewhere. It's a great plant! But the scale is wrong for what I'm trying to do with the 2.5.

Thanks also for everyone's kind remarks on the tank! This is what I would consider my first real planted tank, meaning that I actually had a design on paper that I followed rather than just sticking the plants in willy-nilly.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #29
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

then its your first aquascape, not your first planted tank
Old 05-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #30
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
then its your first aquascape, not your first planted tank
Exactly! Thank you for putting the right word to what I was trying to say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.