Angel Fish Concern
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-29-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
bigblueallday
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

Angel Fish Concern

I decided to finally stock my planted tank 2 days ago. i went with 1 vail angel, 1 angel, 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 dwarf gourami and 1 rainbow shark to start. Everyone seems to be doing well but my angels are just hanging out at the top corner of the tank just kind of sitting there. I haven't seen them eat either. I haven't really seen anyone eat now that i think of it although I have seen the gourami's and rainbow shark nibbling on some plants (obviously i'd prefer they not do that). But back to the angels, should I be concerned with their lack of movement and lack of interest in food or just chalk it up to not being comfortable in their new surroundings yet. I should also mention the tank is fully cycled 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite 20 ppm nitrate.
bigblueallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 04:53 AM   #2
jmsaltfish797
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

20 ppm on the nitrates is pretty high. that could be part of the problem. ive noticed that angels seem to be pretty sensitive to nitrates. i would do a small water change to try and get the N level down some. angels also like a lot of cover. if they dont have anywhere to hide they get stressed in the first few days of adjustment which can lead to health problems as well.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
bigblueallday
Planted Member

Update. Everyone just feasted! I took a large flake and held it underwater and the angels actually started to nibble on it. Soon the gouramis took interest in what was going on and soon everyone was going bananas, eating like crazy. In fact I was afraid to over feed them. Well see how the angels act in the next couple of days but I feel a lot better knowing everyone ate. As for the cover J, my tank is heavily planted especially in the back. Lots of jungle Val, Amazon sword and Ozelot sword. I mean it's freshly planted so they're not gigantic yet but there's plenty of places for everyone to hang out and seek refuge.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

That is good news

I personally would not worry about N < 40 ppm. I would also double-check the temperature ranges for every one of your fishes and find some middle ground.

I do not remember the size of your tank - Angels prefer deeper tanks - I would say 18" would be my minimum depth for them.

v3
Old 03-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
bigblueallday
Planted Member

Woke up this morning and both angels, along with everyone else are swimming happily around the tank. It's a very encouraging sight.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
bigblueallday
Planted Member

Lost both angels this week. One Monday and the other today. Checked the water, everything is fine. Guess these things just happen. Should have been concerned when I saw some dead angels in the tank at the pet store maybe.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:20 AM   #7
Aqguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblueallday View Post
Lost both angels this week. One Monday and the other today. Checked the water, everything is fine. Guess these things just happen. Should have been concerned when I saw some dead angels in the tank at the pet store maybe.

These things dont just happen there is a very good reason why , there is a petco buy my house that allways seems to have dead fish , not what I want in my tanks.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
bigblueallday
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqguy View Post
These things dont just happen there is a very good reason why , there is a petco buy my house that allways seems to have dead fish , not what I want in my tanks.
Any ideas on what could have caused it? I know it's really tough to say as there are many variables that go into it but if it's something I did i'd like to learn from my mistakes. As a rookie I expect some fish loss but i do feel bad that a living thing died because of my lack of knowledge. like i said before the tank parameters seem to be good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites , between 20-40 ppm nitrates (I've heard conflicting views on weather or not this is too high). Temp is a consistant 78 degrees F. Water changes weekly, bi weekly actually. PH is at 7. My GH and KH are at 180 using api's 5 in 1 test strip.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

It was most likely something it brought home from the fish store, its important to quarantine new fish, so they don't spread disease in your tank. Its almost summer and that means Columnaris will be rearing its ugly head soon. Just keep an eye on the rest of your fish, to make sure its not contagious.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
bigblueallday
Planted Member

Thanks oceangirl , appreciate you taking the time to give me advice!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
Nu2Plants
Algae Grower

Angels can be sensitive fish. Angels like discus, I would not buy at the LFS. They just don't have quality. You probably got poor quality fish, that were already sick.

If you buy angels again, get them from a good breeder, just have them Fed Ex'd to your door. You'll be miles ahead just by doing that.

Angels need warmer water, try above 80f or so. They dont like it too much cooler, and it also effects their immune system. They are sensitive to nitrates. 40 ppm of nitrate is too high. Try for 5-10ppm. Your water changes depend on your chemistry, and what's in your tank. Once a week might be fine. If your nitrates are more than 5-10 ppm increase your water changes. Also do big water changes, this 10-20% stuff is not worth the bother. It's like getting a decafe latte, why bother? At least 50% is needed. The frequency will be determined by your chemistry. Also throw out those test strips, get the API master kit. The strips are not accurate enough. When you do the nitrate tests, shake the bottles very vigorously for over 3 mins. Otherwise the reagents precipitate out of solution. You have to shake the reagents very vigorously for over 3 mins so it's suspended back into the liquid. If you don't shake enough, you will get false low numbers, and your fish are exposed to higher nitrates than you know.
Nu2Plants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:41 AM   #12
bigblueallday
Planted Member

Thanks Nu. Lots of valuable info I wasn't aware of.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:06 AM   #13
stealthypotatoes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)

I agree with the posts above. Angels from most petstores arent that great. Id suggest ordering from a breeder. I wouldnt recommend aquabid tho. I bought from a breeder and ordered overnight shipping. The seller shipped it UPS ground and 80 % of the fish died. He wouldnt refund me money and said I had to pay him another $30 for him to ship new fish while I already spent $70 on him.
Angels are easy to keep once you get them stable in your aquarium. For the first couple of days they will be little chickens and will try to hide from you. They need to be acclimated well so be sure to have some airhose and a bucket. Also feed them a good diet. Don't feed them too much or else their bellies would literally break. They need to be kept skinny. If you have a LFS that carries nice Juvenile Angels and they are reputable with other fish. I'd give it a shot. I bought an angel from a LFS that turned out to have a parasite. I didn't have a quarantine for it so I kept it in my 20H. It wouldn't eat anything. Bought a variety of foods just for him but he still wouldn't eat. He lasted a good 2 months tho. So I was happy to keep him alive for that long.
stealthypotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
Aqguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblueallday View Post
Any ideas on what could have caused it? I know it's really tough to say as there are many variables that go into it but if it's something I did i'd like to learn from my mistakes. As a rookie I expect some fish loss but i do feel bad that a living thing died because of my lack of knowledge. like i said before the tank parameters seem to be good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites , between 20-40 ppm nitrates (I've heard conflicting views on weather or not this is too high). Temp is a consistant 78 degrees F. Water changes weekly, bi weekly actually. PH is at 7. My GH and KH are at 180 using api's 5 in 1 test strip.
Wasent trying to imply it was your fault 20ppm nitrate is a little high nothing to cause death.
Angels are very sensetive fish , I have learned that it can be hard to find healthy fish at your lfs , I have unknowly brought home a couple different parasites, at the time I did not have a quaratine tank.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:05 AM   #15
bigblueallday
Planted Member

Picked up api's master test kit today and the results compared to the test strips were wildly different. Still 0 ammonia and nitrite but my nitrate is at a 10,which makes me much happier obviously

Tags
angel, eating, fish, food