Need lighting advice for a new planted tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-10-2004, 01:41 AM   #1
sherry
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Starting a new 30 gallon cube tank... 21 x 18 x 20 high.

How much light do I need, and given the size of the tank, what fixtures do you guys recommend?

the person buidling my hood would put in anything I ask.. but I want to do something cost effective, yet light effective as well.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 02:10 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Hello Sherry! Wellcome to the Board!!

Your choice of lighting is going to depend on a couple of things:

Do you plan on injecting CO2?

What are the light requirements for the plants are you interested in growing (high, medium, or low light)?

On average 2-3 watts of light per gallon will grow almost any plant for you.

Mike
Old 03-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
sherry
Algae Grower

MIke..

I would like to be able to grow "any plant" .. and I do plan to add C02.. in fact, I need advice on the right co2 injector for this size tank as well as substrate.... heck.. I'd be happy to get plant advice too.

right now i have an eclipse 6 with a couple of amazon swords (some brown algae) christmas moss.. microswords doing better than the amazons despite the fact that they are not supposed to be fully aquatic.. and 2 plants i can't name.

I am only dosing iwth flourish for c02.. but i will change that when I have the new set up.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

It's going to be tough lighting a cube of that size. A 2x36w Bright Kit from AHSupply.com would fit and would cost around $100 with bulbs. You'd need to build your own canopy to house the bulbs and reflectors, though.

On a tank this size, I would probably just go with a yeast/sugar mix CO2 system to get started, and if it is truly successful, then upgrade to a pressurized system.

Seems like you've got a good sword/grassy theme going, so it might be interesting to stick with similar plants with different colors. Some Crypt Wendtii is very easy to grow and come in a variety of colors but mostly a nice golden bronze color that stands out beautifully against green swords.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
sherry
Algae Grower

the canopy is being built for me by the fellow making teh tank... so I can suggest this to him.

I love your mountain scape. . how is it developing..

your 55 gallon tank is gorgeous!!
Old 03-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #6
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

One 96 watt quad light from Hello Lights would work well over that size tank. You will find that you want the pressurized CO2 after you get that light set up though, without it you have to hover over your DIY CO2 to make sure production doesn't drop and allow algae to overrun the tank.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
sherry
Algae Grower

can I get a 96 watt light that is only 20 inches or so wide? I suppose I can mount it diagnonally.

Which pressurized c02 cooker do you guys like

and finally.. eco complete or florite. and do i need 3 inches?
Old 03-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

The 96 watt quad that I mention is 19 inches long I think and about 6 inches wide. I have two hanging over my 56 gallon column tank, positioned front to back and I think it is 20 inches deep. 30x20x24 You can use a hagen ladder if you want. Eco-complete is probably better than flourite. Where are you located, which State or country, there are clubs out there that you might be interested in.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:03 PM   #9
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

eco complete and flourite are both good. flourite's cloudy at first, eco isn't. eco is black...flourite looks more 'natural'. they typically cost the same, so it's really up to your preference on color and if initial cloudiness will bother you.

oh yeah, flourite has to be rinsed first...eco doesn't....just pour it and the water it's packed in directly into the tank, top with water.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
sherry
Algae Grower

I am in new york city.

have to decide about color issue for substrate. the 96 watt light is a good idea... I will research at hello light
Old 03-10-2004, 06:20 PM   #11
sherry
Algae Grower

what cclor flourite do you use? do you mix it with anything?