Chameleons
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 03-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
TDerivan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Chameleons

I'm sure someone on here keeps chameleons. I've got a pair of baby Veiled Chameleons and I am trying to think of a nice setup for them when they get bigger and I move them into full-size cages.

Anyone have any pictures of their enclosures?
Any suggestions for plant life?
TDerivan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
TDerivan
Algae Grower

Anyone???
Old 03-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
Joe Fish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I knew a breeder that kept them on ficus trees. No cage, just a couple of trees in a room with basking lights and UV fluorescents over the trees. Crickets, superworms, and pinkies were put in plastic containers hanging from the trees, which the chameleons could reach with their long tongues. I don't know what he did for humidity, but probably daily mistings. Oh, and plastic sheets on the floor to catch the droppings.
Joe Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
TDerivan
Algae Grower

I've seen a few setups like this, but seeing as I have 2 of them I need to be able to keep them separate so that they don't fight or stress each other out.

I've considered ficus, hibiscus, dracaena, and pothos for plant life. I may need to add something like spider wood branches to give them a few more places to perch. The cages will probably each be around 2'l x 2'w x 4'h when it's all said and done. A ficus may be the best choice, I'll just have to hope that one of my local nurseries has them at the proper height for less than a bagillion dollars.

I think I may have figured out a mist/drip system that will do nicely.
I want to add a hose to existing plumbing in the adjacent bathroom to which I will connect an irrigation/watering timer to go off 4-5 times each day. From there I will run a couple of lines with drip emitters (probably 2 per cage, 0.5-1 gph each) and a couple of micro mist nozzles. I'll program the timer to alternate the drippers and misters throughout the day so that my chams always have good humidity and fresh water to drink.
For waste water the cages will have a sealed plywood bottom with a drain in one of the corners (the bottom will be pitched so as to direct the water toward the drain) which will drain into a bucket that I can empty each day.

I know this is going to be a big undertaking, but I've taken on larger projects with far less planning.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
MondoBongo
Algae Grower

ficus or hibiscus would be your best best.

a word about the cages, make sure they're soft mesh material with no sharp edges.

buddy of mine years back made a wood cage with the metal window screen material. the chameleons will sometimes scrape their mouths against things when they eat to help position food. this lead to them cutting and scraping their jaws on the sharp edges, which ultimately got infected, and killed them.

really if you have a tall pot, and don't have cats or other animals that would mess with them, you really don't need a cage or net around their tree. if they can't physically reach it, they have no way of getting to it.

you could also just use a fake tree if a real one is too expensive, or too hard to keep. i know in my house with how the windows are, i would be hard pressed to keep anything without supplemental lighting.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Dovaz
Algae Grower

Here's what I suggest: Plant wise, like Mondo said Ficus and Hibiscus are excellent, Pothos is also an amazing creeper plant, give it time and it will take over, which can be both good and bad.

I would also highly advise getting some sand blasted branches to put in there just so your chams have some mobility and different paths to explore.

Now returning to plants here is a list of several: http://www.flchams.com/safe_plant_list.asp
Also I'm assuming you know substrate is not recommend and plants should be potted with organic soil, topped with large river rocks.
-
Dovaz
Dovaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Turningdoc
Algae Grower

http://www.chameleonforums.com
Turningdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
chameleon, lizard, vivarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.