Anyone heard of Aquatic Life expendable LEDs?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

Anyone heard of Aquatic Life expendable LEDs?

http://www.aquaticlife.com/light-fix...05w-freshwater

Anyone heard of this brand of LED? Seems to be a clearance sale on their website. Wondering if it would be worth getting. I have a long and shallow tank low light tank black water tank that only has moss and java ferns, bolbitis. wondering if it would be enough light for it. My tank is 25x11x9, about 11 gallons i think.

I saw that in the sticky there is another aquatic life brand LED that said it was only meant for fish only tanks, but that one is different from this one. This one has red and blue LEDS, which should mean it was meant to grow plants to begin with.

Last edited by aluka; 03-21-2014 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: note
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
http://www.aquaticlife.com/light-fix...05w-freshwater

Anyone heard of this brand of LED? Seems to be a clearance sale on their website. Wondering if it would be worth getting. I have a long and shallow tank low light tank black water tank that only has moss and java ferns, bolbitis. wondering if it would be enough light for it. My tank is 25x11x9, about 11 gallons i think.

I saw that in the sticky there is another aquatic life brand LED that said it was only meant for fish only tanks, but that one is different from this one. This one has red and blue LEDS, which should mean it was meant to grow plants to begin with.
Interesting and a fair price I guess.. Red is "off" for me though.
http://www.aquaticlife.com/sites/def...ets/420269.pdf

24" for $24...
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

What do you mean by off?
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

the specs that are interesting and a little concerning. It uses .5w leds which are the smallest and most dim on the market. At a total running wattage of 9.6 across a 24" stretch, i'd say its going to be pretty dim.

In comparison, finnex 24" runs 17.8w and the Fugeray runs at 12w and uses 120 degree led's for maximum light spread.

You may need at least two, possibly three aquatic life fixtures to get similar light intensity. The Red and Blue led's are also not quoted for their wavelength either so they may not be accurate. Reds at (660nm; 620~630nm) and Blue(460nm) are the ones to watch for.

i run a Monster Ray over my 12g long and find that to be a great combination. Anything brighter had the tops branch out with fine hair algae.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
the specs that are interesting and a little concerning. It uses .5w leds which are the smallest and most dim on the market.

.2W (or lower) are the smallest commonly used LED's...I could probably list a dozen lights using these..
some make up for it w/ density.. i.e. hundred or so.
e.g finnex "mighty Ray"
Quote:
Specifications Total Output: 2 Watts Total LED Bulbs: 21 LED[/FONT]
FRay planted plus uses .12W LED's..

finnex has plenty of LED lights w/ SUB .5W LED's.............and I don't believe they have any w/ .5W or greater LED's......... but I didn't look very hard.
doesn't make the aquatic life better.. just for clarity.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I do not see any PARs rating or lumens so we have no idea how powerful they are, if they are suitable for aquatic plants.

Being prudent, I would pass on them.

Michel.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I've been looking at these also after someone started a different thread asking about one of their other LED products. I've actually been emailing back and fourth with their support, who has been more than willing to help and has also been consulting their product engineer who was out of the office. -Willing to bet if someone asked more technical questions they would be willing to answer or get the answers for you.

I asked about the 30" for a 20 long low light tank. The suggestion was to start with 2 units which I pretty much figured as each unit has one single row of LED's. Still considering trying it but for a little bit more beamswork has 3 rows of LED's.

As to the LED wattage jeffkrol is right these are not the lowest power in the slightest. For the last 6 months I grew plants to the surface with a single led beamswork fixture using .2w LED's. Just recently upgraded to dual .5w fixtures now that there is more plant mass. A couple of these aquatic life fixtures might work just fine on my low light 20 long...
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

It's going to be hard to tell without PAR data. I have a Beamswork fixture on a tank half the size, 1 inch shorter. It has a total of 54 LEDs, at .2W. This has 30 leds at .5w. So, my fixture, which is half the size, can grow far more than you want but isn't that far from low light. I would think one fixture, which when you double the tank width, would be about 2/3 the wattage I have. It could work for your needs. That comparison is making a lot of assumptions. What is nice about these, and other Aquaticlife fixtures is that if it's not working for you, add another.

At the clearance price, it is likely worthwhile. However, I would buy 2 minimum. The other issue is if they sell out at the clearance and you do need more, that may not be the best choice as they seem to go for $60-80 elsewhere.

My post is all speculative but in my research, it seems lower wattage LED's tend to be more equivalent to higher wattage LED's from fixture to fixture.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am kind of wanting to try two of these on my 20 long. I have asked if they have PAR data and what temp colors they use for LEDs. I don't see any indication that these are on clearance like the OP States but valid point if they are

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
I am kind of wanting to try two of these on my 20 long. I have asked if they have PAR data and what temp colors they use for LEDs. I don't see any indication that these are on clearance like the OP States but valid point if they are

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
If you go to the site and buy directly, they are listing much lower prices than seen elsewhere online.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I noticed that but just didn't see anything that said sale or clearance. I will probably buy 2 this weekend but was hoping they would reply to my last question as fat as the others.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #12
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

There is a PAR thread somewhere here where an Aquatic life "engineer" said they were not for growing plants.. Personally I think he was speaking conservatively..

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...81#post1668181

Quote:
Thanks for thinking of us for the planted tank forum. I’m sorry to say but our current LED strips are not really geared for plant growth, they are weighted heavily to the marine side and even for the marine we are using them only for accent lighting or fish only systems. We are working on a freshwater version that we hope to release soon but again this would be used for a fish only system.

As for growing plants we will have some higher wattage LED soon and we can assist in getting PAR values, spectrums and additional details when the product is released.

Regards,

Dave Troop

Aquatic Life, LLC
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...uatic+life+led

Quote:
AquaticLife LED 0.5W Expandable Fixtures
PAR Data not available
Notes: In response to an email i sent out, Dave Troop at AquaticLife responded saying their lights don't put out enough for plants, and are only meant for accent lighting or fish only setups (Source).
Old 03-22-2014, 01:01 AM   #13
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm wondering if since that post their products have changed or evolved. They list different products for both freshwater and marine specifically.

For $52 I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair of 30" for my 20 long and I will write something up (purely from my perspective having no real technical gear to take measurements with).
Old 03-22-2014, 01:07 AM   #14
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
I'm wondering if since that post their products have changed or evolved. They list different products for both freshwater and marine specifically.

For $52 I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair of 30" for my 20 long and I will write something up (purely from my perspective having no real technical gear to take measurements with).
I wasn't trying to dissuade you.. At that price it probably worth it just for the fixture (esp IF it is aluminum)
Old 03-22-2014, 01:28 AM   #15
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

That's strange that it isn't for plants, because it's definitely not strong enough for reefs. My reason for saying that is they advertise the ability to link 4 together, what is it for exactly?

I would bet for $50, it's going to work for what you need it for. The Beamswork fixture I spoke about earlier really isn't meant for growing plants but it does a good job for low tech. Two of these should be slightly higher light for the tank size, and I had higher light with no issues, or at least better growth/coloration but I like the little guy.