Need some help on a 29 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
TheSoftParade
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Need some help on a 29 gallon

Hi, I am planning on a new 29 gallon planted aquarium. I'm not sure if what I'm planning on buying is considered low tech or high tech. I really don't want to deal with algea/fertalization/etc. I wouldn't have THAT much of a problem with ferting, but I've read a lot on a 65Watt fixture causing problems on a 29 gallon, all suggestions appericiated.

Equipment:

29 gallon aquarium
Eheim 2213 Classic Canister Filter
Stealth Heater 150W
30" Coralife compact flourescent fixture (65Watts) (6700k bulb)
Eco-Complete Plant Substrate (60lbs)
Red Sea turbo BIO Co2 system

FISH: (May look overstocked, but im taking that into consideration)

*Guppys
*Cory's
*Dwarf Gouramis
*Oto's
*Head and Tail Light Tetras
*Ghost Shrimp

PLANTS: (My Watts per gallon is 2.2)

*Java Fern
*Wisteria
*A small sword or two
*Anibus Nana
*Micro Sword and/or Dwarf Sag
*Jungle/Corckscrew Val

Last edited by TheSoftParade; 02-01-2008 at 01:08 AM..
TheSoftParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
skabooya
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

It looks okay to me. The micro sword may be tricky. Your swords will need ferts they LOVE ferts.

Your not overstocked on your fish selection depending on your numbers and the species of gourami.

Im sure someone else with more experience under these lighting conditions will chime in
Old 01-31-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
TheSoftParade
Algae Grower

thanks, I'll probably replace the micro swords with dwarf sag, but I thought Micro Sword would be fine with 65watts? I will be ferting with Flourish. (Flourish Tabs, Flourish, Flourish Excell, Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus)

Anyone else?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
Ukrainetz
Planted Member

I think you're ok. I got a 29Gal, with 75W VHO (10K) and 2 big juice bottles of diy co2 ( a lot cheaper than that red sea system ). My plants are doing great, algae is under control, and I don't dose consistently. Plants are doing nicely, but then again, I'm stuck with the stock hood for now (no time for that DIY project) so I'm sure that limits the output of my VHO bulb. I've even got some nice groundcovers spreading...can't think of their names for now.

BTW when you start cycling, do it without lights... very important! Otherwise, all your plants/object will get coated with diatoms. Let the tank run 1-2 weeks empty, with just the gravel, and the light off. Then add co2, and later start adding plants. Find that sweet spot of no algae

Oh and that Aquaclear will make you lose a great deal of co2... I'd consider upgrading to a canister... I have Fluval 204, and it seems sufficient. Good Luck (and post the pics ofcourse :])
Ukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
TheSoftParade
Algae Grower

Hmm, alright, thanks for the tip UK. I guess I will go with a canister filter then. I will most likely buy one on ebay, but is it safe to buy a used canister filter? And also, I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO experience with canister's..all the media and maitinence seems very confusing..I'm sure it isn't as hard as I think, mabye somone could make a detailed post on how they work/cleaning/etc.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
Ukrainetz
Planted Member

Its not bad at all. I got a steal from bigalsonline.com a while back, when I bought my Fluval 204 for $52. Comparing model (205) now costs over $100. So you gotta shop around. I wouldn't get used, simply because I don't know what its been through... could even have a nasty disease inside, and I'm not about to sterilize the whole thing.
You could also get the Eheim Classic...according to many, its one of the best ($60 on bigals i think).
My fluval is really easy to clean. I dump the water, open it up, take out the little canisters, replace to floss, rinse the sponges (or replace), and put it all back. Bio-Max rings don't need any rinsing usually. Voila! Hook it up, prime it, and turn it on. Hope this helps
Old 02-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
Ukrainetz
Planted Member

OH and BTW DO NOT get the cheap brands you find on ebay! You'll be asking for trouble, and spending twice as much! (not pointing any fingers here) Get the good stuff, and pay a bit more, but it will be worth it in the long run. Base your research on user reviews. Like my 204 clogs up until barely any flow, and doesn't overheat.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
TheSoftParade
Algae Grower

Alright thanks a ton, I'm gonna go with the Eheim 2213 classic. Getting this won't make me change any of my other equipment though, right?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #9
Ukrainetz
Planted Member

Nope, you're good to go with it! Research a little on that eheim, or post a thread in filter section as to what kind of media it uses. That will give you an idea of what you'll need to buy for it. For example, I use all my own except the rectangular sponges. Don't feel like sitting there and cutting for an hour
Oh and hurry! the bigals sale is over in just a few short hours!!! Once you find out, you might as well stock up on a few things...One of my favorites is plain filter floss, and micron filter pads (i think 50microns). Good Luck!