Plagiomnium Trichomanes?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 AM   #1
Chartreuse Boots
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question

Plagiomnium Trichomanes?

does anyone know anything about Plagiomnium Trichomanes? i bought some on impulse a little while ago (got suckered by the cute lil shrimp in the photo, plus it was cheap and had free S&H so i figured it wouldn't be a biggie if i ended up hating it). but my dilemma is, the only information i can get on it is the info from the seller (which was really vague). when i google search and only get a bunch of scientific stuff and the place where i got it.

maybe it has a common name i don't know about?

here is the seller's image:

mine is currently a bunch of flat little squares with leaves so small they look like fuzz... but it seems pretty healthy and i'm hoping it will get fluffier. can anyone tell me what to expect? will it get taller? will the leaves get bigger? how fast does it grow? should i attach it to my driftwood? (i'm trying to make a tiny faux tree and i'm wondering if a different plant would work better. most moss looks too fuzzy, and dwarf anubias is too big, so should i try this stuff?)

any info is helpful. suggestions for other plants are good too
Chartreuse Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
NeonShrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Is this the moss that sells under the name of star moss? If it is then it is actually a terrestrial moss and will not survive for long periods in water. I saw it on an ebay add and wanted to get it but before I did I asked a friend who grows/photographs moss for aquamoss.com. He is the one that told me about the moss being terrestrial. I hope I am wrong but I did not want to buy something that I could not use.

On the subject to making a faux tree, I think that willow moss has the best leaves/fraunds for this.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Chartreuse Boots
Algae Grower

i don't think it is star moss, the seller has that too:

i don't think they'd sell the same stuff under different names.

i did consider different mosses like willow moss, but it's not quite the look i wanted. maybe pelia? i want something really fluffy, but leafy. i'm not necessarily going for realism, i actually want the tree to look kinda cartoon-ish. does that make sense?
Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
fishscale
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Not pellia, this stuff looks to be pretty hard to grow submersed. I found it on a German and Japanese website and used google to translate. The German site seemed to have some success.
Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

55 Gallon Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

fishscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Chartreuse Boots
Algae Grower

so pelia won't work, and i'm guessing Süßwassertang is equally useless... though it is very cute.

i'm still wondering about this stuff i've got. nobody has any clue?
i guess if all else fails i could just get a giant marimo and tie it to a stick. lol, instant cartoon tree.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Ryzilla
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartreuse Boots View Post
so pelia won't work, and i'm guessing Süßwassertang is equally useless... though it is very cute.

i'm still wondering about this stuff i've got. nobody has any clue?
i guess if all else fails i could just get a giant marimo and tie it to a stick. lol, instant cartoon tree.
pellia and subwassermacholit are both easier to grow.

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
Ryzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #7
Chartreuse Boots
Algae Grower

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzilla View Post
pellia and subwassermacholit are both easier to grow.
maybe i will try some Süßwassertang... first i'd like to see if the stuff i have will work though.

AquaticMagic said it's 'easy' to grow
under 'low to high' light with no co2, so it can't be too hard right? right!? -getting nervous- (btw my tank is a 10gal with 36watts and co2. it's currently empty except for the plagiomnium trichomanes which is just sitting on the gravel until i can figure out what to do with it.)

also, is does anybody know if plagiomnium trichomanes grows better without water like star moss? i was reading this thread about starting the tank w/o water:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...lgae-free.html
and since i have no fish or anything yet i thought i could try it. thoughts?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:47 AM   #8
Chartreuse Boots
Algae Grower

update: i decided to remove it from the tank and try Süßwassertang instead. i've moved the Plagiomnium Trichomanes to a 'low tech nano' aka: a big jar. it's siting on some eco-complete with just enough water to cover it halfway and only natural light. if it lives i might put it back, i'm not sure yet...
still looking for info on it though.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
onefin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I bought this plant from the guy too. It does seem easy to grow in my tank. It got close to like 1cm high after a few weeks in my 10 gal with 30watts of CF, diy co2, and leaf zone. Just have to wait and see if this thing is truely aqautic!
onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
valerandi

1) Picture in ad is a Plagiomnium species.
2) You may have received it or star moss (Hyophila not Tortula) as I did. Plagiomnium leaves are round or eliptical. Hyophila leaves are tongue shaped when removed from stem. Best way to tell them apart is with a high power light microscope. Plagiomnium has a border round leaves etc.
3) Both are terrestrial in nature.
4) Both will grow in an aquarium. They do not have to be 'aquatic' but they are good aquarium mosses in the right conditions: High light, CO2, frequent water changes, a little ferts

regards
valerandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:02 AM   #11
Chartreuse Boots
Algae Grower

thanks valerandi. the other day i found a little piece in my tank that i had missed. it didn't look very happy. when i moved it to the jar with the other Plagiomnium Trichomanes (or whatever it is) i noticed the other plants had become very thick and looked great. unfortunately it's not exactly an attractive setup, but i'd hate to change anything when they are doing so well... so i'm not sure what i'm going to do with them in the long run. maybe if they make a nice rug i'll sell 'em on the S&S, but that'll take awhile.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #12
mithrius
Algae Grower

*bump!*

any more feedback on this one? i purchased this from the same seller as well, and now im getting antsy about the overall.. mis-representation of the pictures.
Is it still growing and does it look like in the pictures???
mithrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

I wanted to thank the original OP for this thread as i was about to pull the trigger to purchase this. Would prefer not adding any plants that arent true aquatics. Thanks again for the information...

fyi,,, i was going through the same seller as the OP so he/she is still pawning this stuff with the CRS... guess those photos are timeless
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
bluegoldfish
Algae Grower

I ordered this online as well... It arrived pretty close to dead and never did recover when I put it in the tank. Hrmph! I have heard since that it is not a natural aquatic plant. Similarly, I fell in love with the star moss from the same seller. It arrived in good shape, but never flourished, even with high light and co2. Also not a true aquatic. I'm such a sucker
big fish bowl – betta
coming soon – custom “shrimpatarium!”
bluegoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
texTical
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Awww Crap! I just ordered this and the star moss from this seller on ebay the other day...doh! Should have done my research...i feel like a n00b
texTical is offline   Reply With Quote